Options

Iphone 4g

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    the iPhone is simply that, the iPhone... Apple will probably drop the reference to 3G/3GS and go "back" to calling it an iPhone

the whole concept of the iPhone was that the user wasn't using a specific handset device, they were using a phone integrated with an OS that would make it useful for the user, so Apple having to keep reminding customers of it's capabilities is kind of getting away from their original intentions for the platform
    simon69c wrote: »
    The 4th version of the iPhone won't be using 4G so that won't be its defining feature. The specs won't be revealed until June (probably), but the strong suspicion is that it's defining differential feature will be a higher resolution screen, hence the expectation of it being called the iPhone HD.

I agree with you that everything is a bit muddled with people mixing up 4G in network terms and 4th Generation and now OS4 doesn't help.

But you said they will probably go back to calling it an iphone which was the original idea, then you say it may be called iphone HD. And my point was that although Apple may want to just have 'the iphone' it is impossible to differentiate between models without the extra bit.

Essentially an iphone is an iphone, but if you went to a shop to buy an iphone what would you end up with unless you said which model specifically? And if you had problems with an iphone I'm fairly certain that the first question anyone would ask is "which model is it?"
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    boyzie wrote: »
    I have multitasking with "Proswitcher" and folders with "Categories" Multitasking would not tempt me away from from my Jailbroken phone.

Ditto and I'm now using the 2G version.

NO issues for me with stability either.

Yes there are some dodgy bits of software out there which can cause crashing, but same applies to some of the App Store stuff too.

Having owned a 3GS and now a 2G I can honestly say that the difference isnt enough to warrant the cost. Maybe that will change when the new iPhone comes out and it offers some real differences.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    But you said they will probably go back to calling it an iphone which was the original idea, then you say it may be called iphone HD. And my point was that although Apple may want to just have 'the iphone' it is impossible to differentiate between models without the extra bit.
    I never said they would go back to calling it an iPhone - you quoted two different people there.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Ditto and I'm now using the 2G version.

NO issues for me with stability either.

Yes there are some dodgy bits of software out there which can cause crashing, but same applies to some of the App Store stuff too.

Having owned a 3GS and now a 2G I can honestly say that the difference isnt enough to warrant the cost. Maybe that will change when the new iPhone comes out and it offers some real differences.

If you've got a 2G it's best to keep the jailbreak - the official 4.0 upgrade in summer won't support the original iPhone 2G apparently (and not just the multi-tasking like the 3G).
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Why is it that whenever a question is asked about the iPhone, HTC and Nokia owners start bleating like sheep and saying the same garbage in thread after thread....Surely even they should get bored with something sooner or later......

Once more for the Dipsticks......The choice you make for a phone is a personal one based on your own personal requirements. Make your choice...Buy it...stick with it....Stop bleating rubbish about it being better than any other phone you've ever seen.....If you love your HTC or Nokia, then be happy....

Oh yes, one more thing....I quite like my iPhone!!!:D But at renewal time I will look at all that is available before making my choice....;)

Gets coat and retires....:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohirome wrote: »
    Oh come on, thats probably the most immature thing ive ever heard anyone say regarding the iPhone. I have more than enough disposeable income but I have yet to crave an iPhone. My HTC Hero also does everything I need and more, plus I can customise to my needs anytime I want. Different strokes for different folks, fanboy :)

hypocrite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said they would go back to calling it an iPhone - you quoted two different people there.

Oops! Apologies. :o
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hypocrite

If I was saying something regarding an iPhone, yes...but I was referring to the poster. Sorry matey, try again soon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    So, you don't like iphones but anyone who does is a fanboy? :confused:

And I don't own either but my contract is up next month and I'm sitting on the fence until I see something I like.

But it was Apple who called the new iphones 3G and 3GS as they needed to differentiate between the different models, which doesn't work too well if all models have the same name.

I didnt say I dont like iPhones, I just dont WANT one. :) iPhone users are strangely territorial and defensive about their shiny wonders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minty82 wrote: »
    Care to contradict yourself any more?:rolleyes:

Care to explain how im contradicting myself? I do apologise if ive offended you, gosh golly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they do announce the new iphone HD (or whatever they decide to call it) on 22/06/2010 (the date I've seen touted about quite a lot recently) how long after announcement do they actually become available? What's peoples experience of previous iphone releases?
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's normally not long after the announcement - typically just a matter of weeks, and sometimes sooner. For example the 3GS was announced 8th June last year and the release date was the 19th June. The 3G was announced 9th June the year before that but there was a little longer till its release - 11th July.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    iPhone HD seems the likely choice I think.

Why would they call it that? Unless of course they're going to fit a full HD screen into a cellphone, which would be a complete waste of money and a massive waste of time since only .0001% of their users would want it, there's no reason for Apple to name it that.

Like everyone else has already said, the only model names around now are in reference to the device's boosted speed (3GS) and use of 3G (iPhone 3G). Given that even the iPad doesn't have HD, why on earth would Apple consider putting it in a device that's about a quarter of the size?
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Or they could just call it iPhone 4

Or as I've just mis-typed iPhone$

Freudian slip, obviously
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's normally not long after the announcement - typically just a matter of weeks, and sometimes sooner. For example the 3GS was announced 8th June last year and the release date was the 19th June. The 3G was announced 9th June the year before that but there was a little longer till its release - 11th July.

Thanks for the heads up, it will be my first foray into iphone ownership. I'm itching to get on a waiting list lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    rwk_3GS wrote: »
    Why would they call it that? Unless of course they're going to fit a full HD screen into a cellphone, which would be a complete waste of money and a massive waste of time since only .0001% of their users would want it, there's no reason for Apple to name it that.

Like everyone else has already said, the only model names around now are in reference to the device's boosted speed (3GS) and use of 3G (iPhone 3G). Given that even the iPad doesn't have HD, why on earth would Apple consider putting it in a device that's about a quarter of the size?

If you count HD as 720 upwards, then iPad is HD (1024x768). Apple certainly advertise it as such.

800x480 is probably enough for a 3.x inch screen though, which compared to the current iPhones is fair bit Higher D :) I would expect 720p video recording capability too.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
  • Options
    BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if the new iphone is likely to have a radio on it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if the new iphone is likely to have a radio on it?

Pass...though who listens to FM radio these days?

Download the app TuneIn radio....almost every radio station worldwide:)
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Download the app TuneIn radio....almost every radio station worldwide:)

And what a fantastic app it is. Now complete with clock/alarm to wake up to your favorite station & sleep timer.

Just superb.

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And what a fantastic app it is. Now complete with clock/alarm to wake up to your favorite station & sleep timer.

Just superb.

Regards James

I know...just amazes me how many stations there is.

Not forgetting record function too!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know...just amazes me how many stations there is.

Not forgetting record function too!:)

Indeed , not forgetting the record function !!

It's the Sky+ HD of the radio iphone app world !!

I am forever listening to Smooth FM NorthWest. Andy Peebles on every evening from 20:00hrs. Turn the volume down , record the shows & then playback in full volume at my leisure.

What a great app.

Regards James
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwk_3GS wrote: »

Yeah because everything that says HD has a full HD screen... HD is often just a phrase used to tell you it can play or output video at 720p such as the Zune HD. or possible record HD video. Apple won't just call it the iPhone because it will confuse people and calling it iPhone 4G will make people think it has access to 4G networks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just superb.

Regards James
    How does that work without multitasking.

According to sources Apple has booked an event on 22 June at the same place they announced the 3GS last year so it is pretty much a given that we will hear about a new iPhone officially on 22 June. It will probably start shipping about 1 or 2 weeks afterwards. Also AT&T employees have been told not to take any holiday in June, so we can be pretty certain it is June based on sound rumours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyussmondo wrote: »
    How does that work without multitasking.

The tunein app has to be open.

Once you've selected the station you wish to listen to , there's an options button on the screen. Select this & it takes you to other options for the station you're listening to. Select Set Alarm & select the time you wish the alarm to sound , then press Save. Then press the Stop button & the radio station you're listening to goes off. Then select the Clock display & the time is shown so you can use as a bedside clock. The Station is faded into the background & the alarm time & radio station you have set is displayed/faded at the top of the screen.

When the alarm time arrives , bingo ! The radio station you selected comes on at the volume you've obviously pre set it to. This still works when you have the iphone button set to silent.

Basically the app obviously currently needs to be open.

As I have it plugged into my bedside dock at night anyway , it's also charging so no worries with the battery dying.

If you haven't got it , I'd definitely recommend.

Regards James