Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    In regards to the recommissioning-
    The ratings of 6 million overnight is decent enough (not brilliant but certainly not poor) but the consolidated ratings, I believe, are around 7.5 million (down from nearly 9 million at the beginning).

The daily mail article is wrong obviously but there may still be some truth in because
    - given the advertising, prime timeslot (i.e. downton's slot) and the money (at least 10 million but probably more)- itv clearly wanted but also expected ratings like downton abbey.
    - now the ratings will probably stabilize at 6 million and therefore I think ITV had to make the decision now because they couldn't want for it to air on PBS and plus the filming has to start in April and therefore an announcement had to be made now. It takes a long time for the actors, film crews, the sets and everything else to be arranged. ITV may have wanted to wait a bit longer for further ratings but in the end a decision had to made very soon.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    No, the lesson is don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail -- or possibly anything.

That rag is so full of shit. It's quite scary that it remains so popular.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    That rag is so full of shit. It's quite scary that it remains so popular.

Simple really, it's because a lot of people like me enjoy reading it!
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Katherine Kelly has QUIT Mr Selfridge and will not be in the second series: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4786089/Mr-Selfridge-will-return-for-second-series.html
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »

Yes indeed. Many people get confused when they mention the Daily mail and the Guardian in the same sentence.

The Daily Mail is a newspaper read and enjoyed by millions.

The Guardian is a poor excuse for a newspaper, with very few readers, most of whom appear to have a very low opinion of lesser mortals, by comparison.
    Forum Member
    anyway to move the discussion away from daily mail vs guardian- what does everyone think so far of mr selfridge (my own opinion mixed) and what do you guys hope for in the next five episdes (i'm hoping for more retail/business storylines)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Also, the scene with Mrs Selfridge and Ellen Love was well written and delivered. Mrs Selfridge:D. What a way to put a mistress in her place! Glad that the real life Mr Selfridge was faithful to his wife.
    I've just caught up with the last episode and this was the best thing of it as far as I could see.
    Other than that, I was disappointed as I got a bit bored with the episode. All was going well until that nosey child opened her big mouth! The ensuing argument between Mr and Mrs S was a bit of dampener for me considering this was a moment when one partner 'reveals' their knowledge of the other partner's going on's. I thought it would be a bit more explosive. And considering the fanfare that woman got for stealing, the coverage on what was a bigger theft operation was very little in comparison.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyway to move the discussion away from daily mail vs guardian- what does everyone think so far of mr selfridge (my own opinion mixed) and what do you guys hope for in the next five episdes (i'm hoping for more retail/business storylines)
    I've a mixed opinion too. I want this series to work well and I thought it had a strong start by introducing what would be the main characters and the beginning of story lines that lured us into wanting to find out how it unravels.
    However, as mentioned, the last episode which most people on here seemed to like most, I liked least. It doesn't help with the ratings when you have another non-factual but historical series on another channel at the same time, one I now feel has the better script. That said though if I answered this question last week, I would have been more complimentary with Mr Selfridge, so it could have just been a 'bad episode' for me and the following ones will bring it up to par until the end of the series.
  • trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I thought their fight wasn't all that satisfactory either. It was too quick.

However this was the first episode where I thought Piven gave good drama. Massive improvement, playing it serious for once.

I do feel sorry for directors who want to film a period car crash and are told they can't scratch the hugely expensive car! It all has to happen off screen! Same in Downton Abbey.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For people who are a bit taken with Gregory Fitoussi (Henri), he can be seen in series 4 of the French crime drama, Spiral, starting from next Sat on BBC4. He plays a lawyer in that. It's a fantastic show.

Just to bump that bit up incase anyone's interested - it starts on BBC4 tonight at 9.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly has QUIT Mr Selfridge and will not be in the second series: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4786089/Mr-Selfridge-will-return-for-second-series.html

Interesting since KK tweeted the news that it's been renewed today. Odd that she would do that if she wasn't coming back. :confused:
    Yes indeed. Many people get confused when they mention the Daily mail and the Guardian in the same sentence.

The Daily Mail is a newspaper read and enjoyed by millions.

The Guardian is a poor excuse for a newspaper, with very few readers, most of whom appear to have a very low opinion of lesser mortals, by comparison.

Who mentioned the Mail and The Guardian in the same sentence apart from yourself? The Daily Mail is what it is. It caters to its audience very well, but most of it is either banal showbiz gossip or scaremongering right-wing nonsense. I have nothing against people who read and enjoy it, but as has been exemplified in this thread, they seem to get a lot more wrong than they do right.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Who mentioned the Mail and The Guardian in the same sentence apart from yourself? The Daily Mail is what it is. It caters to its audience very well, but most of it is either banal showbiz gossip or scaremongering right-wing nonsense. I have nothing against people who read and enjoy it, but as has been exemplified in this thread, they seem to get a lot more wrong than they do right.

I don't read the Mail but although the Guardian is well-written, it's just as biased as the Mail but from the other direction. Some of the CiF blogs are absurd in their lack of balance: metropolitan PC liberal to far left stuff. Guardian readers have a real obsession with the Mail for some reason - it's a curious phenomenon but they seem to lack any kind of self-awareness about that which is amusing. I don't see an anti-Mail obsession with the readers of any of the other newspapers.
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to bump that bit up incase anyone's interested - it starts on BBC4 tonight at 9.

Im watching it and just realised it was the same actor...very different type of programmes! For info, Spiral is on season 4 ..
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't read the Mail but although the Guardian is well-written, it's just as biased as the Mail but from the other direction. Some of the CiF blogs are absurd in their lack of balance: metropolitan PC liberal to far left stuff. Guardian readers have a real obsession with the Mail for some reason - it's a curious phenomenon but they seem to lack any kind of self-awareness about that which is amusing. I don't see an anti-Mail obsession with the readers of any of the other newspapers.

A very perceptive post!

One suspects that they spend a lot of time reading the DM so that they can then feel superior. How else could they make any informed criticism?
  • cold_as_stonecold_as_stone Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Piven has the strangest smile I have ever seen. His mouth seems to turn upside down. The classic false smile....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've given up on this after three episodes , nicel looking drama but just not as captivating as The Paradise .
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we're still enjoying it!! and jeremy piven is v cute:D
    Forum Member
    what did everyone think of today's episodes. I found it okay again- again some cheesy acting but at least another episode spared from piven's melodramatic acting.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it. It is not heavy drama, quite light and quite enjoyable.
  • vaarthartvainvaarthartvain Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it just right for a Sunday night .
  • robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that tonight's episode was the best so far. It was good to see more characters coming into their own.

Up until now, it's looked very good, but it's not really come over as "Don't miss" programming.

However, I thought that tonight's episode was so much better. Looking forward to next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that annoys me (and I haven't seen the most recent episode yet) is there's a lot of talk in the show about how fantastic the windows are, or are going to be, and when you actually see them they're awful. They appear to have used modern mannequins that are pencil thin and standing with their pelvises thrust forwards, a pose which looks quite out of place in an Edwardian setting. With all the other attention to lavish detail in the show, I'm really surprised the props department couldn't have knocked up a couple of replica Edwardian shop window dummies. We're expected to believe that Henri and Agnes are talented and innovative but the windows don't bear this out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    There is an article in the Daily Mail today that states it has lost 1 million viewers since the first episode and it has yet to be decided if a second series will be commissioned.
    The viewing figures are still respectable at around 6 million but apparently it is such an expensive production it will depend on it's success when it is shown in US in March.

It lost me - and I will pretty much watch anything - couldn't BEAR Piven, think his acting, enunciation, and delivery are dire and certainly don't find him remotely attractive. All the same, that's not completely his fault and must surely be down to both casting and direction. I thought the script was lame and unconvincing, the scenes were a mixture of slow and then incomprehensible lurching, storylines.... well...... serious lack of.

Considering the subject matter and the historic value, the location, plus the fact there's a biography to refer to, I don't see how this production has been so woefully cobbled together. You literally couldn't pay me to watch it.

I know other people are enjoying it, I'm not trying to take away from that fact, it's just my opinion - but if a million viewers have dropped off in the middle of winter when there's no rival show..... something's gone wrong and probably for the reasons I state.
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    No, the book it is based on is a non-fiction book -- a biography/history.

A biography is still somewhat fictional unless it is literally an historic account of day to day events with no interpretation, or the publication of a diary. Also, if a biography is not 'approved' by the family / trust, it is even less reliable.
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »

In other words she knows damn well there's not going to be a second series. Regardless, she SHOULD quit, she was badly mis-cast and I suspect the script and direction are appalling which makes the actors look bad.