Options

Do most Brits go to the same place for holiday each year?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
Forum Member
In the comedy "Benidorm" the family was portrayed as vacationing at the same place each year. Do most other British families do it this way, or is it kind of a mix like in the U.S.?

Comments

• Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never go to the same place more than twice. I went to Benidorm in the 80's when it was in its heyday and I was young free and single, it was shagtastic.

I'm just back from holiday in Zante where I also went to two years ago, and a couple of times more than 10 years ago. Never at the same hotel though.

I'll probably go all inclusive again next year though, maybe to Turkey.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Yep.

Same spot on the sofa and same patch at the bottom of the garden.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. While I do sometimes go back if I liked the place I visited, I love finding new places to visit.
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kc0ltv wrote: »
    In the comedy "Benidorm" the family was portrayed as vacationing at the same place each year. Do most other British families do it this way, or is it kind of a mix like in the U.S.?

No they don't , some of us are cultured. :D

Who in their right mind would want to go to Benidorm every single year?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ^^ similar nuts who go to Blackpool every year.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,168
    Forum Member
    I sometimes go back to places but in 15 years of choosing my holidays I've been to different places nearly every year.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,655
    Forum Member
    No, next question.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do, as we have a family home in Spain.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    Been to a few places more than once. But I am talking 10 years gap. Never do I go year in year out to the same place. It's not my idea of variety. It is for some people. I used to work with a lady who booked the following years holiday the week after she came back. I don't like getting stuck in a rut
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, we go to different places each holiday.

However, when we went to Malaysia the hotel clientele was largely quite snooty British pensioners who went there year after year. It was really boring listening to them trying to out do each other with how many times they'd been to that particular hotel and they couldn't understand it when we said we wouldn't be back. They seemed to think they owned the place because they went every year. Why go all that way just to go to the same hotel every year?
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try not to go to the same place but it depends on the best deal. Ive been to the same hotel in Tenerife twice but that was at different times and a last minute thing/the cheapest option
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My in-laws had been going to the lake district for the past 20 years, same campsite, they just loved the place, they only live a few miles away aswell, they don't like driving very far. Lol

But now they have a caravan in Almeria in spain , for the past 7 years, both are fighting cancer, they can't get insurance, looks to be their last year...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never go to the same place more than twice. I went to Benidorm in the 80's when it was in its heyday and I was young free and single, it was .

I'm just back from holiday in Zante where I also went to two years ago, and a couple of times more than 10 years ago. Never at the same hotel though.

I'll probably go all inclusive again next year though, maybe to Turkey.
    Still looking for somewhere `shagtastic` at your age are we::cool:
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only country I've been to more than once is France ( but not to the same area)

We used to go on camping holidays there when the kids were small..it was a cheap way of getting some sun.

I don't know why anyone would want to keep going back to the same place when there is so much of the world to see.
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I go somewhere different every year but in addition I always make a point of visiting Germany at least twice every year. I love the country so much that I feel lost if I don't go at least twice. I visit various cities and regions right across the country.

This year I have been to Oslo, Amsterdam, Stockholm and Frankfurt. Later on this year I am planning to do Munich and Tokyo. Next year I really want to visit Croatia as well as Rugen in the north of Germany.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the same resort different hotel this year as last year on the basis that I loved it last year, knew my way around and where to eat etc so I thought 'you can't go wrong'

Regretted it, mostly

I went to Amsterdam 6 or 7 years in a row when I was younger but that's different :D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the day it was pretty common - people would all trek off to the local seaside - Blackpool/Skegness/Margate each year. Its not so common now but a lot of people have foreign timeshares or a caravan in the UK which they will use a lot.
    I've not seen Benidorm, but is it possible the family have a timeshare so thats why they keep going back?
  • Options
    Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Nope. While I do sometimes go back if I liked the place I visited, I love finding new places to visit.

Same here.

I love visiting new places and exploring the area.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, given the popularity of time sharing holidays a decade or so ago I'd say a lot of people are happy to go same place every year. I reckon people initially vary the destination but after they've compared a few and found a place that ticks all their boxes they become content to re-visit that place a lot.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    citius wrote: »
    I go somewhere different every year but in addition I always make a point of visiting Germany at least twice every year. I love the country so much that I feel lost if I don't go at least twice. I visit various cities and regions right across the country.

This year I have been to Oslo, Amsterdam, Stockholm and Frankfurt. Later on this year I am planning to do Munich and Tokyo. Next year I really want to visit Croatia as well as Rugen in the north of Germany.

I don't want to come across as bitter and jealous or anything, but you are very lucky to be able to travel so frequently.

I'm approaching 50 and I can count on my fingers how many times I've been abroad.

Maybe that's why I'm inclined to go somewhere different each time. I don't want to waste the few opportunities I can afford to go places by just repeating the same experience.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Majorca twice and Fueteventura twice... not sure why as I didn't particularly like either place the first time around :o

(actually I did like F'ventura first time round, but when I went back 4 years later it had really changed! Majorca was rubbish both times)
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The working class tend to go to Spain or Greece, I tend to go to France, Germany, Sweden and sometimes if budget permits..Japan.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been Majorca a few of times. I like the short travel time. But always to different parts.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only been to the same resort twice in the last 21 yrs. I tend to go to different places each year. This year was India and Cyprus
    I have been to Paris 5 times though but I love it there
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,168
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Still looking for somewhere `shagtastic` at your age are we::cool:

What makes you say that?:confused: