COM7 mux, Al Jazeera HD - LCN 108

1181920212224»

Comments

• kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    Since we've had HD on Freeview, I have found it affecting my viewing choices. I am more likely to watch something (well actually record to watch later) if it is on an HD channel.
    Same here.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    That was mooted, and I thought it had been agreed, but it never made it into the LCN policy.

Just had a check - 8.2(ii) of the latest policy:
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/86814/Digital_UK_LCN_Policy_Version_5.2_07082013.pdf
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »

Oh, yes, it did get in there - however it only applies to existing channels. New associated channels can still queue jump as much as they like. Makes no sense at all.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, the only SD TV I've watched in about a year was the French Open on ITV4, and that was on satellite.

How anyone puts up with the Freeview SD channels is beyond me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I don't think there's a lot wrong with the mainstream BBC SD channels, compared with analogue (although I know some here will disagree with that), but we've now been spoilt by HD and are getting used to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC's SD channels are of course OK because they haven't crammed a ludicrous number of channels into their multiplex. All of their channels are available in HD though (BBC Parliament excluded) so it's irrelevant for anyone with HD capability.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get a clean, rock-steady, clear SD picture, can't complain about that. :)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »

on an SD TV yes SD channels are fine as thats how they were designed to be watched, on a HD TV most SD channels look rubbish, but its a lot to do with how they are upscaled for the HD TV, even a good upscaler though cant fully overcome the issues with low res and 544*576 res channels!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also because detail is reproduced better on modern TVs (budget rubbish excluded). The way CRTs work happens to have the happy advantage of blurring out things like compression artefacts a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also because detail is reproduced better on modern TVs (budget rubbish excluded). The way CRTs work happens to have the happy advantage of blurring out things like compression artefacts a bit.
    My TV is a 22" 'HD Ready' LED model, my CRT model weighed 33Kg and went to the tip about 5 years ago.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV is a 22" 'HD Ready' LED model.
    Mystery solved. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV is a 22" 'HD Ready' LED model, my CRT model weighed 33Kg and went to the tip about 5 years ago.

It's not an LED TV, it's LCD with a LED backlight. Very different from a true LED TV (which don't exist in 22" yet).
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is you TV very good at upscaling? I expect though you will find it hard, unless you sit close, to see detail or scan lines?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Is you TV very good at upscaling? I expect though you will find it hard, unless you sit close, to see detail or scan lines?
    I normally sit 6ft from the screen due to the room layout, I have on occasion noticed that the quality is sometimes better via my PVR, but have to get closer to notice this difference.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The most noticeable reason for avoiding SD channels is when watching a sport such as football.

With the small particpants moving about, it really shows up just how gruesomely horrible SD can be.

I find normal broadcast such as films quite ok in SD, but if there is a choice I will always record from HD channels to PVR where possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally sit 6ft from the screen due to the room layout, I have on occasion noticed that the quality is sometimes better via my PVR, but have to get closer to notice this difference.

I sit 2.5 m from my 50" screen so it's incredibly easy for me to see compression and low resolution artefacts.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be in sd at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The live feed from the UN that's on at the moment is SD, but the captions are definitely HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    The most noticeable reason for avoiding SD channels is when watching a sport such as football.

With the small particpants moving about, it really shows up just how gruesomely horrible SD can be.

I find normal broadcast such as films quite ok in SD, but if there is a choice I will always record from HD channels to PVR where possible.

When you say gruesome you must mean 544x576 over-compressed SD, BBC SD is pretty good.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    christoFar wrote: »
    I'm astonished at how bad it looks. Bitrate must be south of 1Mbit.

My TV happened to be on 5* when I switched it on. Content: Jewellery Maker. It looks awful. Out of curiosity I tuned to the COM7 version. The PQ is identical. It looks like somebody has recorded the channel to VHS tape, and is playing it back!