Breaking Bad, Full Series, to be shown on UK Freeview for first time

St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just noticed this on Us tv forum, had no idea, so thought it worth mentioning here.

New channel Spike starting up and will be showing BrBa nightly from 15th April, 23.00.

I have seen it on Netflix, got the DVDs, but will also now have it on my PVR, good stuff.

Comments

• Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    One would have thought that anyone who wanted to have watched it by now would have done so on illegal downloads, Netflix or DVD/Bluray boxsets.

Just a shame that UK TV didn't have more faith in it in the first place and so committed the biggest shooting oneself in the foot in the history of TV.

Plus on Spike it's in SD and you have to watch it at the pace they show it.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One would have thought that anyone who wanted to have watched it by now would have done so on illegal downloads, Netflix or DVD/Bluray boxsets.

Just a shame that UK TV didn't have more faith in it in the first place and so committed the biggest shooting oneself in the foot in the history of TV.

Plus on Spike it's in SD and you have to watch it at the pace they show it.

Well it was one of Five's digital channels that showed it first time around and will be one of Five's digital channels that will be showing it this time around, although I suspect they'll give it a bit more respect this time. Well at least until the viewing figures start to fall...

The reality is that a lot of these US shows just don't get good viewing figures over here. For example Mad Men used to get pitiful viewing figures when it was shown on BBC4 a few years ago, despite all the media hype about it.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband is hoping that it might have audio description so he can watch it. we have netflix (which is how I watched it) but they don't provide any audio description on any of the content.

I think it's unlikely though, sadly.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Absolutely all my immediate family are raving about this, even some who have missed it and have only seen a few minutes recently and now intend to watch the whole series. One viewer from the start said it was the best thing he's ever likely to see in his lifetime!

Well, I must be weird because I've watched some on YouTube and it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest and I won't be watching.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it will be in SD with ads, surely the better option is Netflix, the first month is free anyway plus you get all the other stuff on there.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's often spoken of in the same tones as classics like The Wire, which I thought was brilliant

On the face of it - it doesn't appeal to me but if it's that good I feel I ought to watch it.....unless I'm missing out

Could anyone who's seen it give an idea of what it's about and what the 'style' or feel of the show is.........:)
  • playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It's often spoken of in the same tones as classics like The Wire, which I thought was brilliant

On the face of it - it doesn't appeal to me but if it's that good I feel I ought to watch it.....unless I'm missing out

Could anyone who's seen it give an idea of what it's about and what the 'style' or feel of the show is.........:)

Just watch the first 3 episodes. It has a pretty good opening series so if your not hooked by then it's maybe not for you. It really is good though not just hype.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Better to watch it for yourself, everyone will have different opinions, some episodes are better than others so watching just one doesn't really give you a good idea.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about a Chemistry teacher who finds out that he has brain cancer and panicks because he has a disabled teenage son and a pregnant wife and he won't be leaving them anything to live on. He falls in with an ex-pupil and decides to make high quality crystal meth in order to leave them a nest egg. He has a brother in law who works for the DEA. The synopsis did not appeal to me at all, but I watched because everyone kept telling me how much I was missing out on.

The tone is dark with touches of comedy. The first season, I felt was okay, nothing earth shattering, but enough to draw me in. I carried on watching and was hooked. It is honestly some of the best tv I have ever seen. The way the characters evolve is spectacular and there is some of the best acting you will see. One of the few shows to come to a truly satisfying conclusion too.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheers !

think I'd better give it a go.......

at least it's one episode per night which I find is the best way to watch series........
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is without doubt, the best thing I have ever watched .
    I don't have Netflix, but have all the DVDs. The problem here is going to be the endless long winded ad breaks, which will ruin the flow of it.

I had tears in my eyes at the finale, what a rollercoaster ride it had been, very emotional.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an absolutely great show - up there with The Sopranos and The Wire for me.

.. I'd love to be starting out for the first time watching S01 E01 again :(
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated breaking bad, gave it until halfway through the second series. Really tried to love it but couldn't it was dross
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the first episode is great, very interesting ideas and it really dragged me in, well worth giving a go if you have never seen before.
  • STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Breaking Bad is amazing ,so amazing that i watched the whole series in about 2 months ,one night i watched 5 episode ,i became totally obsessed with the show.

im not sure about watching it on spike ,it will be on every night ,but there is the adverts and you cant watch 3/4/5 in a row

oh Spike Tv ,is not on Virgin Media

Breaking Bad maybe the best tv show i have ever seen!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When is this channel supposed to make an EPG appearance? It's not on Freeview or Sky yet.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's launching on the 15th remember, so give it a few more days and depending if your DVR/Sky box automatically re-tunes itself or not, tell it to do so.
    If BreakBad was just on Mondays & Tuesdays, I'd give it a go, but as I work nights for the rest of the week and my own DVR's hard drive is so full up it's ready to pop- I won' t bother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    It's launching on the 15th remember, so give it a few more days and depending if your DVR/Sky box automatically re-tunes itself or not, tell it to do so.
    If BreakBad was just on Mondays & Tuesdays, I'd give it a go, but as I work nights for the rest of the week and my own DVR's hard drive is so full up it's ready to pop- I won' t bother.

Thanks Simon.
    I shall have to re-tune the freeview recorder (did so already) but Sky will do it automatically.

Looking forward to Breaking Bad. Heard so much about it, but (as yet) have never watched a single minute of it
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First three series build up the characters whilst S4/S5 the story really takes off and frankly is some of the best storytelling that I have ever seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally preferred the first two seasons, the change of character, etc. Rest is great though with some outstanding episodes near the end.

Check out the various podcasts that are about too, The insider podcast, featuring Vince Gilligan and various actors etc, is a very good companion to each episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, forgot it was on..

Anyhow, now rescanned my box, and set for the remaining 50 odd episodes.

Surprised that there's been NO advertising for the new channel / BB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, forgot it was on..

Anyhow, now rescanned my box, and set for the remaining 50 odd episodes.

I think there's over 60 episodes all together.
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    One of the greatest shows ever made. I won't be watching late at night with adverts though, not when I can watch it any time on Netflix.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must've not watched a single thing on Five or any of their channels for the last month then because there's been nothing but ads for Spike/BB.

Watching Breaking Bad on Spike, DoG'd, ad-riddled and doled out five eps a week is like thinking you've seen the Mona Lisa because Royal Mail had it on a stamp.

Buy the DVDs/Blu-ray, watch at your own pace and experience all the great commentaries and extra features that only enhance the experience.
  • dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy the DVDs/Blu-ray, watch at your own pace and experience all the great commentaries and extra features that only enhance the experience.[/QUOTE]

DVD & Blu-ray? Welcome to 2003 everybody