JK Rowling reveals Dumbledore is gay.

Comments

• LethamLetham Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    This doesnt come as a surprise to me, when I read the book I always felt that from the way things were worded that the D/G realtionship was a little bit deeper then just friends.

The only thing that does surprise me is that it was only Dumbledore who in love and that Grindelwald didnt reciprocate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the clues must have passed me by completely. I thought I had pretty good gadar too. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is such a surprise to me! I missed all the clues too lmfao
  • kjpkjp Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG I never even thought of it before. It all makes sense now! I wondered why he never got it on with McGonagal;)
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    It was obvious anyway. His name is an anagram of odd bum leer!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

THAT IS AWESOME. :p

I'm disappointed that my gaydar seems to be broken too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orlando1 wrote: »
    Hogwarts should be a place of fantasy and sanctuary for young readers. There is no place there for gay headmasters.

Er, why?

I see from your posting history you have a slight (worrying) obsession with all things gay.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah wondered when Orlando would start spouting off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Hogwarts should be a place of fantasy and sanctuary for young readers. There is no place there for gay headmasters.

oh yes they are so much more dangerous than tree headed dogs and deadly snakes. like any fantasy it is a reflection of the real world which does have ....Gasp! gay headmasters
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow!! What a cool revelation this:D:cool:

The thought of Dumbledore being gay never crossed my mind. However i always wondered why Dumbledore never married or no mention of a female love interest.; especially in the 7th book, where Dumbledore's past was being explored.
  • Tipsy_OtterTipsy_Otter Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I see that old Drama Queen Tatchell has crawled out the woodwork ranting an raving about this news ...lol
  • Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    I thought that was obvious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Am i wrong?
    Is this a work of fiction?
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I am rather disappointed in JKR, doing something like this. There was simply no need. All she needed to do was say 'make up your own mind' to those who were interested in Dumbledore's sexual preferences. No problem with having a gay character, it's just the context.

What I mean is, in todays world, the revelation puts an unsavoury slant on the whole series. Dumbledore, a lonely old codger, taking special interest in Tom Riddle, then Harry Potter. Having private meetings in his study. Taking Harry away on trips alone. It all begins to look suspiciously like he was grooming Harry.

Add this to the fact that in HP's world, wizards are effectively above the law. They only take notice of Muggle laws when it suits them, and quite regularly, as a matter of course, use spells to erase Muggle memory. If Dumbledore had been portrayed right from the start as a gay character, with someone in his life, no problem.

What bothers me is the fact that this was kept rather furtive, and revealed only now, as if it's a bone thrown to the PC mob. Oh yes, the greatest wizard in all the world is gay, right on!
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's why Dumbledore's footprints are always loitering outside the boys dorm on the Marauder's map.
  • Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Letham wrote: »
    This doesnt come as a surprise to me, when I read the book I always felt that from the way things were worded that the D/G realtionship was a little bit deeper then just friends.

The only thing that does surprise me is that it was only Dumbledore who in love and that Grindelwald didnt reciprocate.
    Who was Grindewald again? :o
    :D
    :rolleyes:
    What I mean is, in todays world, the revelation puts an unsavoury slant on the whole series. Dumbledore, a lonely old codger, taking special interest in Tom Riddle, then Harry Potter. Having private meetings in his study. Taking Harry away on trips alone. It all begins to look suspiciously like he was grooming Harry.

Oh for goodness sake :rolleyes: :mad:
    Was Umbridge 'grooming' Harry into a sado-masochistic relationship when she had him doing detention with that evil quill?
    Was Snape grooming Harry and brainwashing him when he did those occlumency exercises?

Why on earth have you conflated sexual orientation and paedophilia??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I am rather disappointed in JKR, doing something like this. There was simply no need. All she needed to do was say 'make up your own mind' to those who were interested in Dumbledore's sexual preferences. No problem with having a gay character, it's just the context.

Add this to the fact that in HP's world, wizards are effectively above the law. They only take notice of Muggle laws when it suits them, and quite regularly, as a matter of course, use spells to erase Muggle memory. If Dumbledore had been portrayed right from the start as a gay character, with someone in his life, no problem.

What bothers me is the fact that this was kept rather furtive, and revealed only now, as if it's a bone thrown to the PC mob. Oh yes, the greatest wizard in all the world is gay, right on!

so the only safe gay man around children is a taken one Dumbledore was gay got a child molester you really are taking stupidity to new heights well done !!!!!!!!!
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaycue2404 wrote: »
    so the only safe gay man around children is a taken one Dumbledore was gay got a child molester you really are taking stupidity to new heights well done !!!!!!!!!

Your point would have been delivered so much better with decent grammar.
    Forum Member
    Was Umbridge 'grooming' Harry into a sado-masochistic relationship when she had him doing detention with that evil quill?

Quite possibly. This was state sanctioned torture, for which she was not officially held accountable.
    Why on earth have you conflated sexual orientation and paedophilia??

I have 'conflated' nothing. All I did was make a point about what the circumstances suggest. If JKR wanted her character to be gay, why not be upfront about it? If it was not important, then why out him now?
    Forum Member
    jaycue2404 wrote: »

Could you try that again, in English?
  • Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 'conflated' nothing. All I did was make a point about what the circumstances suggest. If JKR wanted her character to be gay, why not be upfront about it? If it was not important, then why out him now?

The circumstances suggest that Dumbledore was grooming Harry Potter for sexual abuse??
    Forum Member
    The circumstances suggest that Dumbledore was grooming Harry Potter for sexual abuse??

No, the circumstances could suggest this. Before JKR made a big deal out of it, Dumbledore was presented as a kindly old wizard, and his personal preferences were not spotlighted.

Now, it seems rather odd that such a long lived, famous, well respected man, did not in his entire life, find one other adult wizard with whom he could form a relationship. Not a single one, unless JKR has more revelations. The only time he came close, apparently, was his obsession with Gellert Grindelwald. A character who, at the time, was little more than an attractive young man.

By doing what she's done, JKR has placed the question in minds, does Dumbledore prefer young boys. Okay, there is nothing to suggest he ever acted inappropriately on any such needs. But, if JKR had just left the issue alone, a less than flattering interpretation of his life and actions would not have been possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the only reason she 'outed' him now is because she was asked about his love life and so the topic was unavoidable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    I have to take this with a large heap of cynicism I'm afraid.

None of us can say that Dumbledore had always been gay in JK's mind - only JK herself knows the answer to that. Unfortuantley, the cynic in me is considering the possibility that she has decided to say this for publicity reasons and nothing else. She perhaps heard about the theorizing and decided that she could squeeze a bit more out of the pink pound if she went along with it.
    bluespeed wrote: »
    I think the only reason she 'outed' him now is because she was asked about his love life and so the topic was unavoidable.

Not really:
    When a young fan asked if Dumbledore would find "true love", Rowling answered: "Dumbledore is gay".

The question can be answered without referring to his sexuality ... especially since (spoiler in case anyone hasn't read the books):
    Dumbledore died so was unlikely to find true love with anyone other than another portrait!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A-Friend wrote: »

Not really:

The question can be answered without referring to his sexuality ... especially since (spoiler in case anyone hasn't read the books):
    Dumbledore died so was unlikely to find true love with anyone other than another portrait!!

OK, perhaps it wasn't unavoidable, but it became relevant. It wasn't a random revelation as the other posted implied.