Options

Why do Chinese takeaways give me prawn crackers when I don't eat them?

paulsmithfanpaulsmithfan Posts: 327
Forum Member
I always find this strange when I just put them in the bin.

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    they cost next to nothing to give away so it's an easy good will gesture. Try asking for them to be taken out of the bag or feed them to birds instead of the bin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they cost next to nothing to give away so it's an easy good will gesture. Try asking for them to be taken out of the bag or feed them to birds instead of the bin

Do birds eat these? I would not want to put them out for the birds and some rat comes and eat them and neighbours are like saying I am attracting rats by doing these things.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Why not just tell them that you don't require free prawn crackers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why not just tell them that you don't require free prawn crackers.

If they are free I can not ask for them to taken off my bill. Also I do not want to offend them as I think they might spit in my food or give me extra small portions as a punishment.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's nothing about them being on the bill or not. Just say that you do not require them.
    You think it's better for you to waste their food that they've given you for free rather than save them money? I think they'd be happier saving the money than giving you free food which you are going to chuck in the bin without touching.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do birds eat these? I would not want to put them out for the birds and some rat comes and eat them and neighbours are like saying I am attracting rats by doing these things.

I would imagine that rats are the least of your neighbours worries. ;)
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is insane for two reasons.

One, because as has already been pointed out, the simple fix is to simply decline them when ordering.

Two, because Prawn Crackers are amazing. I actually pay for a bag even though I know I'll get another free, I love them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's nothing about them being on the bill or not. Just say that you do not require them.
    You think it's better for you to waste their food that they've given you for free rather than save them money? I think they'd be happier saving the money than giving you free food which you are going to chuck in the bin without touching.

Yeah but I don't want to be rude and assume that they are going to give me anything for free. If I had a choice I would choose free delivery although I know it's not a food item so not sure that would count. Also in the Chinese culture they get upset if you turn stuff down like your insulting their family way of life.

If there was a homeless shelter or something I would be happy to pass them on but it would have to be like once a month due to fuel costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »

Two, because Prawn Crackers are amazing. I actually pay for a bag even though I know I'll get another free, I love them!

I can not eat a crunchy snack knowing that part of it was once swimming in the largest mass of water in the known universe.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can not eat a crunchy snack knowing that part of it was once swimming in the largest mass of water in the known universe.

Good for you. I share the opposite opinion - still makes no difference to the point at hand. Just decline them.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

you seem to be assuming that something even remotely connected with prawns is in prawn crackers, not just carbohydrate, msg and artificial flavouring.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are free I can not ask for them to taken off my bill. Also I do not want to offend them as I think they might spit in my food or give me extra small portions as a punishment.

Really? You obviously have a very high opinion of the people who serve you your food.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was a homeless shelter or something I would be happy to pass them on but it would have to be like once a month due to fuel costs.

Are you mental?! Firstly, there is no chance that a prawn cracker from your local Chinese will contain ANY prawns whatsoever. Secondly, I would hate to see the state of the prawn crackers you intend to leave to these homeless people after a month, the prawn crackers from my local Chinese are soft and soggy the next day.

If you honestly believe that if you decline the prawn crackers then the staff will spit in your food or give you smaller portions then you maybe need to find a new takeaway.

Honestly...I despair :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's clearly a windup. Or at least I hope it is.

Prawn crackers contain 17% prawn. I found this out when becomnig a vegetarian. I am yet to find any that are just flavouring
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mirabelle wrote: »
    It's clearly a windup. Or at least I hope it is.

Prawn crackers contain 17% prawn. I found this out when becomnig a vegetarian. I am yet to find any that are just flavouring

Yeah, just done a quick survey on Tesco online and all the 3 types they sell that list ingredients list shellfish as one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm prawn crackers.... love them! You can tell a good chinese from the quality of their prawn crackers - the thicker they are the better the chinese :D are they really bad for you? I'd imagine so!
  • Options
    fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *MESSAGE TO EVERY CHINESE TAKEAWAY IN THE UK*

Do NOT give paulsmithfan any prawn crackers whatsoever!!!
    They don't like them and you are causing them a terrible amount of stress over the matter!

Many Thanks
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Mmmm prawn crackers.... love them! You can tell a good chinese from the quality of their prawn crackers - the thicker they are the better the chinese :D are they really bad for you? I'd imagine so!

They are only fried for a few seconds, so don't have long enough to soak up much oil.

That's what I tell myself anyway. :D
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member

They do that anyway.

They also masturbate into it if you're rude to the waiters in the restaurant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    They are only fried for a few seconds, so don't have long enough to soak up much oil.

That's what I tell myself anyway. :D

Ooo i like your thinking! I shall adopt this train of thought when i have finished my massive meal and still munching them (addict!) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do that anyway.

They also masturbate into it if you're rude to the waiters in the restaurant.

Yes, never send any food back as the whole team of chefs take turns defecating on it.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Yes, never send any food back as the whole team of chefs take turns defecating on it.

Either that or they go the other way, don't do anything to it whatsoever, then bring it back out. The customer then goes "ah, much better!" and eats.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Ooo i like your thinking! I shall adopt this train of thought when i have finished my massive meal and still munching them (addict!) :D

Me too!

I can be totally full from the actual meal but I always have room to finish of the Prawn crackers! Might as well as they will just be soggy by the next day. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Me too!

I can be totally full from the actual meal but I always have room to finish of the Prawn crackers! Might as well as they will just be soggy by the next day. :D

lil trick i picked up.. if they are the good sort of prawn crackers (thick!) then if you put them in the fridge they keep their texture better :cool:
  • Options
    Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find this strange when I just put them in the bin.

Set up a webcam in your home, send the link to your local chinese, let them see you put the prawn crackers in the bin.

Hey presto! You won't get any more prawn crackers because they will know you don't want them rather than somehow having to be psychic. :)
This discussion has been closed.