Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Lathamite wrote: »
    I'd generally agree with most ideas for watching Buffy Season 4/ Angel Season 1...but I think the other seasons are more problematic.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/buffyangel-episode-watching-guide.html

This seemed to be accurate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It makes the show seem very mathematical if you look real hard haha...that is a brilliant list of how to do it however :)
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started rewatching Buffy, since it's all up on lovefilm instant now.

I'm up to Ep.7 of S2 now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else feel that Buffy and Angel work best when watched separately, despite the crossovers? I find that when I'm alternating between them all the time, I enjoy both less - I prefer to get totally immersed in the world of one, and then totally immersed in the world of the other. It really speaks to Angel's success as a spin-off that it stands up so well by itself - you really can lose yourself in just the world of that show for a while, and forget all about the parent show.

That said, I still prefer Buffy by a wide margin. I'm near the end of Season 5 in my current rewatch. As others have said, I find that every time I rewatch Buffy and/or Angel, I notice new things and have different perspectives - for example, so far on this rewatch, Buffy Season 4 is by the far the one I've most enjoyed, which I never would have expected.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst watching angel recently i got thinking..would any of the buffy characters last in angels world ??

We all know cordy did it pretty well but could xander,giles or willow survive,i think with a little tweaking they could.

same goes for gunn,lorne & fred..i'd have loved to seen those 3 & angel turn up in buffy to fight a big bad..would have been awesome :D

EDIT:

To answer dolphineclipse question,i've watched bot series through a few times & always watch them seperately,i think for me i couldn't watch 1 buffy then 2 angels,then 1 buffy..it would break things up to much IMO
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else feel that Buffy and Angel work best when watched separately, despite the crossovers? I find that when I'm alternating between them all the time, I enjoy both less - I prefer to get totally immersed in the world of one, and then totally immersed in the world of the other. It really speaks to Angel's success as a spin-off that it stands up so well by itself - you really can lose yourself in just the world of that show for a while, and forget all about the parent show.

I've been watching them alternately but, generally, a disk of each (3-4 episodes) at a time so I still get the continuity.

I don't think it matters that much, though. I mean it's not like, after I watch a Buffy, I'm going to abstain from watching any other TV until I watch the next one. I'll still be watching Big Brother, Got To Dance, Arrow, Fringe, Covert Affairs etc. etc. If I slip an Angel in, as well, it's no big deal :D
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    Whilst watching angel recently i got thinking..would any of the buffy characters last in angels world ??

We all know cordy did it pretty well but could xander,giles or willow survive,i think with a little tweaking they could.

same goes for gunn,lorne & fred..i'd have loved to seen those 3 & angel turn up in buffy to fight a big bad..would have been awesome :D

Giles started out a lot more capable than Wesley so, if Wesley could do it, I'm sure Giles would have had no problem.

As for Willow, she grew to be the most powerful character of the lot. Even Buffy couldn't stop her by season 6!

Xander has never really been about fighting prowess but I reckon he'd be fine in LA. It's not like the Angel Big Bads were any worse than the Buffy ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I've been watching them alternately but, generally, a disk of each (3-4 episodes) at a time so I still get the continuity.

I don't think it matters that much, though. I mean it's not like, after I watch a Buffy, I'm going to abstain from watching any other TV until I watch the next one. I'll still be watching Big Brother, Got To Dance, Arrow, Fringe, Covert Affairs etc. etc. If I slip an Angel in, as well, it's no big deal :D

Ah, well there you go then. I don't watch many current shows, and when I do I'm more likely to wait 'til a few episodes have built up rather than watching week-by-week.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Giles started out a lot more capable than Wesley so, if Wesley could do it, I'm sure Giles would have had no problem.

As for Willow, she grew to be the most powerful character of the lot. Even Buffy couldn't stop her by season 6!

Xander has never really been about fighting prowess but I reckon he'd be fine in LA. It's not like the Angel Big Bads were any worse than the Buffy ones.

Apparently Xander could have been in the final season of Angel, but Whedon thought he wouldn't fit in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the entire Buffy cast would definitely walk L.A tbh...but that was what Buffy was about...the evolution of power whereas Angel is primarily a detective series...which is why season 1-5 was effectively one big arc rather than each season has its own arc to tell a full story if that makes sense....Angel wasnt all about surviving L.A,,,,and also ironically i think Sunnydle had a lot tougher opponents to face for the Scoobies for a small town compared to L.A where Wolfram & Hart are the main baddies....only to have it turn on its head...in other words...the Buffy cast would definitely survive in LA if Wesley, Cordelia can :cool:

And when i rewatch i tend to mix and match really...although i do adore watching seperately.....whielAngel i feel took a while to stand on its own legs i do feel it has its own shape an identity to make it at least stand out from its parent show so that makes it more helpful rewatching....but funnily enough when i see a couple of Angel episodes back to back i instantly want Buffy one :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Willow was ALWAYS my favourite character growing up, however looking back, she really wasn't great. I always felt she was the 'nice' one out the group, yet come Season 5 she was very selfish and by the last year she was unrecognisable.

Always wished Harmony had more of a part in Buffy.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Always wished Harmony had more of a part in Buffy.

In the season 8 comic
    vampires are common knowledge to the general public, and Harmony has become the star of a reality TV show. I think this is the perfect 'ending' for the character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    In the season 8 comic
    vampires are common knowledge to the general public, and Harmony has become the star of a reality TV show. I think this is the perfect 'ending' for the character.

That is hilarious to read XD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will be 32 today :cool::eek::D Hope she has had a great birthday today and nothing (un)lucky has happened like previous birthdays....poor Buffy! X
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BUMP!

Just had this thought and mini-discussion with a friend on FB, but I was thinking...wouldnt it be cool if the cast reunited in 2016 for a reunion of sorts...i mean Whedon is helming Avengers 2 and S.H.I.E.L.D at the moment...but in 3 - 5 years time I think it would be something epic to see the Scoobies in their 40s to tell a new story....bring back one of the biggest Female icons of all time and iconic cast/team of writers/producers/creators and really do something special....really miss them of late :(
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    BUMP!

Just had this thought and mini-discussion with a friend on FB, but I was thinking...wouldnt it be cool if the cast reunited in 2016 for a reunion of sorts...i mean Whedon is helming Avengers 2 and S.H.I.E.L.D at the moment...but in 3 - 5 years time I think it would be something epic to see the Scoobies in their 40s to tell a new story....bring back one of the biggest Female icons of all time and iconic cast/team of writers/producers/creators and really do something special....really miss them of late :(

As much as i would love more buffy stuff the 90s era gang are now over it would be sad to bring them all back as older characters who will be so out of touch with how to play that kind of role again

Its like friends its best left as it ended im glad buffy bowed out at season seven and didt keep dragging on and on one of my fav shows now supernatural is on s8 yet im now wishing it ended last year or at season 5

Tv shows going on too long are never a good thing IMO

But i do think buffy will be back sometime in the future it will be like superheros now it will be rebooted as a movie franchise or a new tv show sometime down the road
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Oyea its now 10years since buffy ended flipping hell
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Oyea its now 10years since buffy ended flipping hell

10 years,doesn't seem that long to be honest,besides the 1st season i think the series still stands well today in terms of effects & quality.

never gets old watching buffy
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if The Avengers was a glimpse of the JW Buffyverse movie that never was. The movie accommodates the Marvel universe and characters of course, but it's pretty clear the basic blueprint of the film could easily have served a Buffyverse movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I wonder if The Avengers was a glimpse of the JW Buffyverse movie that never was. The movie accommodates the Marvel universe and characters of course, but it's pretty clear the basic blueprint of the film could easily have served a Buffyverse movie.

All the while i was watching The Avengers i had that thought in my head the entire time...what if Buffy was iron Man was roaming in my head all the way through :D:cool: And imagining how it would have been...bigger scale world threat...the scoobies united 2hrs of non stop action! Would have been sublime.

And yes 10 years this May Buffy finished...its incredible.

And Buffy is timeles even with 90s styles etc it translates so well whenever you watch it and thats the power it has as a show and what it can definitely boast :) Brilliant!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i've just started rewatching muffy. love it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started rewatching Buffy, since it's all up on lovefilm instant now.

I'm up to Ep.7 of S2 now :)

Me too! And I am also on S2.

It really isn't a bad way to finish the day when nothing else is on the TV :p
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am only still on season 4 of Buffy been watching since the summer now up to about episode 13 and really enjoying it still.
    Also started watching Angel for the first time only seen the 3rd episode but it seems to have got of to a good start all ready.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am only still on season 4 of Buffy been watching since the summer now up to about episode 13 and really enjoying it still.
    Also started watching Angel for the first time only seen the 3rd episode but it seems to have got of to a good start all ready.

Although I like both, I personally prefer Angel to Buffy. Both are definitely worth watching anyway. :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Did anyone catch the 1992 Movie?

It was on last weekend at 1.10am?

I have to admit, while the series outclasses it by light years, it's not actually that bad.