Options

Cost of first-time car insurance?

I am considering learning to drive.

I am 28 in July and male.

I am aiming for very low running costs.

I intend to buy a group 1 or 2 car.

Do you know a very rough ball-park figure that I'd be paying in insurance?

Comments

• Options
    ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    You are probably best off trying one of the comparison sites and inputting your details, enter the car details for a car you are looking to get but remember to tick don't own yet box ( or similar), these sites should be able to give you an idea.

Many this affect the price, like age, postcode type of car etc.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was 29 and my first insurance on a car cost me about £400 for the year. This was 7 years ago and im female and it was on a 1.1 fiesta.

Id do some quotes for the sort of cars you are looking for and see what comes back for you.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it not have been more prudent to have signed up to a motoring forum and asked there rather than an entertainment based one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look on some comparison sites for any vehicles you might be looking at but do expect to see the cost increase considerably once you pass your driving test.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things like location would have a huge impact so best to do it yourself
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your postcode is a massive one, I work for an insurance company and I see premiums go up by hundreds when the address changes
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy I worked with passed his test at age 28, bought an 8 year old Fiesta and his first insurance was about 3 grand.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least £1200 I'd imagine.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    One tip, don't assume that a more expensive car will be more expensive to insure - the cost of your car has little or nothing to do with the cost of the insurance (you can write off a 50k merc in your £300 banger as easily as you can in another 50k merc, indeed a more expensive car might be safer because of better brakes etc).

Try looking at things like some of the lower performance BMW's, Vectra's, Mondeo's etc rather than the typical first car (such as Corsa's, punto's, mini's, nova's), and estate cars especially can be cheaper because they're generally "lower performance" and not the sort of car people rag around in (thus less likely to be involved in accidents involving other cars, or injuries to passengers etc).
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    total ins cost depends on a lot of things, like where u live, your job, how old you are, how desirable the car is (ex performance), performance, imbolizer/alarm, where the car kept overnight.

my cousin paid almost £4k for his first year with only a underpowered 1.0 petrol toyota yaris (old shape), at age 19 in leafy wiltshire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paid £3,000 for my first year when i used to drive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    A lot of money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Your age is in your favour, so your best bet is to pick a car you think is sensible and then get a quote on it.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diesels can be better value than petrol as a friend just went from a 1.4 petrol to a 1.9 diesel and their insurance dropped by about 400 quid
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Would it not have been more prudent to have signed up to a motoring forum and asked there rather than an entertainment based one?

Are all of your posts entertainment based?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    I paid £3,000 for my first year when i used to drive

I paid £60 TPFT, at age 24. Obviously some time ago (I was earning £100pw), but if you apply inflation there's no way it would reach even £1000 in today's money.

I wonder what happened to drive up the premiums? I can't imagine that driving standards were any different then; cars were less powerful, but they also had weaker brakes and there were no speed cameras either!
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I paid £60 TPFT, at age 24. Obviously some time ago (I was earning £100pw), but if you apply inflation there's no way it would reach even £1000 in today's money.

I wonder what happened to drive up the premiums? I can't imagine that driving standards were any different then; cars were less powerful, but they also had weaker brakes and there were no speed cameras either!

Cost of repairing the cars (these days it's often cheaper to buy a new panel than try and beat one into shape), cost of injuries, and associated other costs (IIRC the insurance company can be charged for some of the cost of say the time of the fire/ambulance service after an accident).

Even something like a smashed wing mirror is now often expensive and complex to deal with, as you're not talking about a bit of mirrored glass on a stalk, but a nice (often body coloured) plastic surround, with motors, and a heating element.
    So rather than 15 minutes and a bit of fairly standard glass to fix, it's now several custom parts and potentially an an auto electrician to fix.
    Hence a smashed mirror is no longer something you can fix for a fiver yourself, but could be £300+.
    And that sort of thing is applied all round the car these days, a damaged wheel can require you to replace electronic parts rather than just a hub and tyre, a relatively low speed crash can destroy a £500 bumper where you used to just hammer it out, and set off your airbags (hundreds more to replace the bag and cover) etc.

Some of it is because we want nicer looking cars, or cars that do more, and some of it is because standards these days require the car to give much more in order to save lives, so parts are designed to be destroyed in a crash to reduce the impact on the humans involved, where you could often reuse them in the past with minimal repairs.

The number of uninsured doesn't help either.

[edit]
    IIRC we also pay more (and additional) taxes on insurance services now, especially for cars.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep car repairs are expensive - £300 for a door mirror is roughly right on more everyday cars like fords. if u get a merc, it could be much more. even a "full service" on quite standard cars like the honda jazz is around £500 at a main dealer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

At your age look for a modern classic (look at the 1990s stuff , or a boring mid range car (eg Mundano/Vectra coathook), no need to buy a horrid little sh1t box.

You may be surprised at the insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually know of someone who bought a Mondeo as a first car as it was easy to insure, then followed up with a base engined Omega.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    yep car repairs are expensive - £300 for a door mirror is roughly right on more everyday cars like fords. if u get a merc, it could be much more. even a "full service" on quite standard cars like the honda jazz is around £500 at a main dealer.

I reckon an older E class would be cheaper than a modern FOrd
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »

I doubt my 3rd party insurance is going to pay for someone's service! (But if it does, it explains a lot about the premiums.)

Since it is 3rd party where the bulk of the cost is, it seems unfair to me that someone's premiums should go through the roof (especially new drivers'), because other people like driving posher more expensive cars).

It seems odd also that the cost of repairs is higher, but the cost of new cars, in real terms, probably isn't much different now than when I started driving (30 years ago). In the case of door mirrors, they might be more elaborate, but they are also now spring-loaded so they shouldn't break as often.

I think that we are being ripped off with insurance, and some people are trying to make excuses for them.

(And FWIW, the cost of a new driver's mirror on my last car was £12.99 iirc - not £5, and I fitted it myself. But that was after several successive repairs, costing nothing.)
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 28 (27 when I got my first insurance policy) had named driver experience since I was 18. First year cost me £600, business, fully comp, street parking. Second year I got it down to £380, but took it at £400 to null the excess.

My brother took his first years car insurance last year (same situation as me, but at the age of 31, and with a learner driver on the policy) he had a 2 litre sports diesel, which cost him £500 to insure for a year. He has a garage to park in.

Lots of factors to take into account. It's a long and tedious search but worth the time you put in - have a play on the price comparison sites, find a few cars that interest you and bung in their registration plates.