What would you do in this situation?

Comments

• Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I would rely on word of mouth then, and just tell a few people who you know. Word will get round soon enough.

Doing some kind of leaflet campaign will just mark you out as bonkers.

Thanks, Letters have been thought of but this would have been anonymous,
    I am just weighing up peoples thoughts and thank everyone so far for their imput.
  • panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do send letters and this starts people targeting the person then they could bring a case against you for harassment. If you feel a burning need to tell people you should tell one or two in person and let it spread.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Letters have been thought of but this would have been anonymous,
    I am just weighing up peoples thoughts and thank everyone so far for their imput.
    It's pretty obvious you're going to spread the "news" anyway.
    I think you're just seeking approval to justify it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty obvious you're going to spread the "news" anyway.
    I think you're just seeking approval to justify it.

Well exactly.
    i wouldn't feel anyway responsible for their actions.

It wouldn't be that cut and dried though. Your reasoning is no different to a website that contains detailed instructions on how to do something illegal and says "this information is provided for entertainment purposes only".

You're providing the "information" knowing full well that a particular outcome will most likely happen.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be perfectly legal to let people know though?
    Yes. And I would tell people - anyone I know with children In the area. I would feel great guilt and some responsibility if a child was abused who might have be kept away from this person if I had spoken out.

And of course you can't be in trouble for telling the truth - a truth that is also a matter of public record! Of course if you are some loon who wants to leaflet the town, harass the ex-offender and stalk them then you deserve to be in trouble.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Let the Police do that - they have a procedure - talk to them if you want.

What if the information was wrong - however much it seems not to be - this has happened !!!
    People can fake anything - Newspapers do mock ups all the time for instance.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Make it known if you're the sort of person who believes that locals are better placed to deal with this than the police, social services and the probation office that will be involved. The thing about being on the SO register is that it places limitations on the individual, and places quite some onus on the offender to behave or face further punishment.

The apparent offender hasn't served his sentence, he is still serving it under the watchful eye of various official bodies. Your enthusiasm to let people know, for informational purposes only and only to the right sort, stinks. You want to be the one who basks in the reflected glory for outing him. And how long will the information stay within this select circle of people who you've presumably vetted as being the 'right sort'? How long before a casual remark in a handy local pub slips out and before you can say Jack Robinson the pitchfork & flaming torch brigade are out driving him away and potentially away from his supervisory requirements?

Bad plan, in all respects.

For the record, I knew one a few years ago. Lovely bloke but a bit simple, he was caught with lots of images on his PC. He was done, got a fairly lenient sentence for it and tried to pick up his life. It was a struggle, but his kids had it tougher as they were the ones subject to the name-calling etc at school when it became known.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyobe. Food for thought
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would say nothing it's not really your business at all. I'm sure there are plenty of offenders living all over the place possibly even in my road but it doesn't concern me because when my children were growing up i protected them and looked after them and knew were they were all the time. they played out in groups, knew not to talk to strangers, knew they could discuss anything with me, were accompanied everywhere until they were of the right kind of age to go out on their own and as far as i know they were reasonably safe, they do cover this kind of thing in schools with safety films and talks they do tell the kids about avoiding being shoved into the back of a white vans and not to answer adults who approach them and ask for directions and things like that

we definitely had a few odd balls and weirdos in our road, you know the sort single men who lived alone and shouted at everyone, single man who lived alone try to give all the local kids sweets and single men who lived at home with mummy in their fifty's stamp collecting, bird watching trainspotting lol, poor sods probably all harmless looking back but our mums always warned us to keep away from them.

i think you're better off if you cannot bite your tongue keeping it to a simple he looks dodgy to me and leave it at that
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I would want to know, these perverts rarely change, so long as you are sure that he is, I would share the information but not with people who would be violent, they are the reason for secrecy.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Make it known if you're the sort of person who believes that locals are better placed to deal with this than the police, social services and the probation office that will be involved. The thing about being on the SO register is that it places limitations on the individual, and places quite some onus on the offender to behave or face further punishment.

The apparent offender hasn't served his sentence, he is still serving it under the watchful eye of various official bodies. Your enthusiasm to let people know, for informational purposes only and only to the right sort, stinks. You want to be the one who basks in the reflected glory for outing him. And how long will the information stay within this select circle of people who you've presumably vetted as being the 'right sort'? How long before a casual remark in a handy local pub slips out and before you can say Jack Robinson the pitchfork & flaming torch brigade are out driving him away and potentially away from his supervisory requirements?

Bad plan, in all respects.

For the record, I knew one a few years ago. Lovely bloke but a bit simple, he was caught with lots of images on his PC. He was done, got a fairly lenient sentence for it and tried to pick up his life. It was a struggle, but his kids had it tougher as they were the ones subject to the name-calling etc at school when it became known.

Totally agree.

He will be under the watchful eye of authorities. Revealing who he is could do way more harm than good. Imagine if he started to get abuse and went off the radar/underground and started harming children. How could you live with that??
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    Well I would want to know, these perverts rarely change, so long as you are sure that he is, I would share the information but not with people who would be violent, they are the reason for secrecy.

You are allowed to ask the Police if you have a child for instance - but I think they tell you not to share.

http://www.humberside.police.uk/advice-and-information/child-sex-offenders-disclosure-scheme-sarahs-law
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am now minded to leave it, given peoples responses. My other idea was just to write notes and tell people to google a certain name/town etc but that might amount to the same thing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am now minded to leave it, given peoples responses. My other idea was just to write notes and tell people to google a certain name/town etc but that might amount to the same thing

That's exactly the same thing as spelling it out. One other thing is you dont know what this person is capable of. What if you out them and they start getting harassment they may panic and target you or your family for retaliation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    tough one. I don't believe people like that can ever change and as someone with a child i'd like to know if I was living near a pedophile! I also wouldn't be able to keep that info from friends with kids. I'd be worried that it would cause war but i'd be afraid he'd target a child in the area and I'd feel so guilty, that I may have been able to prevent it!
    I think people assuming OP is just looking for glory is ridiculous. she's trying to help protect children from being abused!
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tough one. I don't believe people like that can ever change and as someone with a child i'd like to know if I was living near a pedophile! I also wouldn't be able to keep that info from friends with kids. I'd be worried that it would cause war but i'd be afraid he'd target a child in the area and I'd feel so guilty, that I may have been able to prevent it!
    I think people assuming OP is just looking for glory is ridiculous. she's trying to help protect children from being abused!

As mentioned in my link and most likely in your local police force web site, parents can apply for disclosure of information related to convicted people who may pose a risk to children (not just sex offenders), commonly known as Sarah's Law

I thought this was common knowledge based on the amount of publicity that case had, obviously I am wrong about that.

Speak to your local police for more information.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    Totally agree.

He will be under the watchful eye of authorities. Revealing who he is could do way more harm than good. Imagine if he started to get abuse and went off the radar/underground and started harming children. How could you live with that??

Imagine how she would feel if he abused a neighbour's child and she hadn't given a warning.

I don't know what the answer is. Bbut I do think it is remiss of the authorities to dump men like him in among familis with children.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Imagine how she would feel if he abused a neighbour's child and she hadn't given a warning.

I don't know what the answer is. Bbut I do think it is remiss of the authorities to dump men like him in among familis with children.

And that's why I initially suggested asking the police for their advice. We have absolutely no idea if he's more dangerous unknown or if provoked by vigilantes. There are so many factors to take into consideration, and it's not just a yes or no answer. He may not have re offended in years, and outing him may cause him to kidnap and abuse a child. His crime may simply be having a relationship with a 15 year old when he was young himself. "Various child sex crimes" can mean so many different things and you can't just blanket sweep the whole of them and make a decision based on that fact.

Also, as someone else said - inciting hatred is a pretty serious crime in itself.

I was merely offering "what ifs" to help the OP make a decision
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle, yes , the "what ifs" do need thinking about
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle, yes , the "what ifs" do need thinking about

Here's a few good 'what ifs'.

What if, thanks to your gossiping and letters, this person in on the end of months of verbal and physical abuse and intimidation? What if this person finds out that it's you who is spreading gossip about his previous convictions? What if you wake up one night to find him standing at the foot of your bed with a 12" chef's knife and nothing left to lose?
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member

As a parent I understand your concern but even if there was no convicted paedophile listed in your area there could still be one, just not convicted. Knowing there is a convicted one shouldn't really make much difference when it comes to educating your kids about being out and about with no parent around supervising them. But I do totally understand why people want to tell others with kids so they can make sure they give this person a wide berth.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a parent I understand your concern but even if there was no convicted paedophile listed in your area there could still be one, just not convicted. Knowing there is a convicted one shouldn't really make much difference when it comes to educating your kids about being out and about with no parent around supervising them. But I do totally understand why people want to tell others with kids so they can make sure they give this person a wide berth.

That is true. Also the information is already public knowledge. As stated anyone can also apply to the police for it too.

There is no reason not to tell neighbours that they should particularly be watchful of this individual. I find it odd that people thing a posse would result. Week idea. I think it would most likely mean that anyone who saw him with a child would be likely to intervene/ inform the police etc and cHolden themselves would know not to approach him -. and those are good things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is true. Also the information is already public knowledge. As stated anyone can also apply to the police for it too.

There is no reason not to tell neighbours that they should particularly be watchful of this individual. I find it odd that people thing a posse would result. Week idea. I think it would most likely mean that anyone who saw him with a child would be likely to intervene/ inform the police etc and cHolden themselves would know not to approach him -. and those are good things.

It does happen and not just to guilty people.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/28/vigilante-lee-james-life-murdering-bijan-ebrahimi
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you knew a convicted child sex offender was living in area, would you inform the people on the street?

I am not talking about gossip about the person being convicted of such crimes, but actual newspaper articles etc.

Would it be a public duty to inform the entire street?,

No, it is not your business to go informing your neighbours about other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    If you knew a convicted child sex offender was living in area, would you inform the people on the street?

I am not talking about gossip about the person being convicted of such crimes, but actual newspaper articles etc.

Would it be a public duty to inform the entire street?,

No paedo is leaving anywhere near be. I would make it's life hell.