Options

Are we a 'walk on by' society? (Merged)

LP ROBINSONLP ROBINSON Posts: 1,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
TERRIFIED Brits would rather “walk on by” than confront louts as yob culture spirals out of control.

New research has branded the UK the most loutish place in Europe, with one in four children involved in fights last year.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/144322/Britain-is-the-lout-capital-of-Europe/

Do you feel safe walking on our streets? Have you ever been the victim of loutish behaviour? Or have you stepped in to stop loutish behaviour?

Comments

• Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/144322/Britain-is-the-lout-capital-of-Europe/

Do you feel safe walking on our streets? Have you ever been the victim of loutish behaviour? Or have you stepped in to stop loutish behaviour?

Yes.

I feel very safe walking the streets.

Then again, I don't read the scaremonger rags.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    And I thought it was the Daily Wail. No, it's worse:- Daily Star

Gutter scare mongering press or other words "printed toilet roll"
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Daily Star should take a look at its journalists ( apologies to real journalists for using the same name for their staff) on a night out or even in the office before calling anyone else a lout.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    People should be given the right to dispense justice themselves, instead of being told to leave it to the authorities, who generally will do nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member

We do our own unofficial neighbour hood watch in my area .... we are unofficial as the law doesn't like vigilante groups but we have no choice as the law never stops these toe rags doing what they do

The only thing they understand is a good kicking .... sad but true

It takes sometimes 20 mins for plod to respond to a 999 call of an intruder on the premises which is a joke ..... so our numbers have been passed around the area as the response is faster
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think this was also printed in the Mail and the Mirror. Not sure where the Mirror comes in the pantheon of scaremongering rags.

That is if it's scaremongering or less a figment of moral panic than some like to acknowledge.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Yes.
    No.
    Never needed to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    People should be given the right to dispense justice themselves, instead of being told to leave it to the authorities, who generally will do nothing.

You mean act like a lout and go around beating kids up because they happen to be wearing hoods?
    Lynch mobs, the perfect example of the yob culture we are trying to avoid
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    What is needed is a few vigilante Pythonesque Hells Grannies patrols to administer a good handbagging/brollying to these little scrotes. :D

edit: and i don't mean the urban dictionary definition of 'Handbagging'. :cool:
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to research, compared to other nations such as Germany, Britain is a 'walk on by' society.

People in this country are apparently far more likely to ignore, for example yobs smashing up a bus stop, or one person assaulting another than our cousins in Europe.

Why do we think this is? Is our silence perhaps in a way condoning, even encouraging aggression and anti-social behaviour?

Are the authorities in a position to put a stop to aggression and anti-social behaviour? Is it even their sole responsibility?

If not, what can they do to encourage a greater level of direct action from the general public in order to make our society a safer and more pleasant place to live?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to consider what is worse someone passing by someone committing vandalism versus the chance of escalating the situation to perhaps a stabbing or worse.
    I would always go and try and help someone in a bad situation but getting involved if it is damage to property is just daft, go past phone the police and report it, it is the best solution.
  • Options
    TolstoyTolstoy Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Are the authorities in a position to put a stop to aggression and anti-social behaviour? Is it even their sole responsibility?

If not, what can they do to encourage a greater level of direct action from the general public in order to make our society a safer and more pleasant place to live?

Good question. In countries like Singapore, which has a very low crime rate, the police and local communities seem to join forces. This is an excerpt from a publication I read some time ago on that very subject:
    The main thrust of the police-community partnership is based on mutual help, with the public being persuaded and encouraged to take personal responsibility both individually and in partnership with others in safeguarding themselves, their property and their neighbourhood with the advice and assistance of the police. It is based on the principle that prevention is a community responsibility and crime prevention measures taken by the
    community can limit and reduce opportunities for the commission of crime. Further, the community has a role in
    mitigating the impact of crime on unintended victims, such as the dependents of victims, offenders and others who suffer collateral damage from these crimes. The community also has a role in reintegrating people into society.

Whether UK society is too far gone for such an approach to be effective is the big question. However, speaking personally I'm the type of person who can't walk by if I see someone being victimised or beat up. I don't endanger myself unduly but I have taken risks on occasion to prevent people being assaulted. I don't understand the mentality of people, for example, who will drive around an unconscious body in the road.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you feel safe walking on our streets?
    Yes.
    Have you ever been the victim of loutish behaviour?

Not victim, but have been the target.
    Or have you stepped in to stop loutish behaviour?

Yes.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Tolstoy wrote: »
    Good question. In countries like Singapore, which has a very low crime rate, the police and local communities seem to join forces. This is an excerpt from a publication I read some time ago on that very subject:

Whether UK society is too far gone for such an approach to be effective is the big question. However, speaking personally I'm the type of person who can't walk by if I see someone being victimised or beat up. I don't endanger myself unduly but I have taken risks on occasion to prevent people being assaulted. I don't understand the mentality of people, for example, who will drive around an unconscious body in the road.

Could be a confidence trick.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The possibility of being prosecuted, for assaulting the vandal/attacker, can't be much of an incentive to get involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    According to research, compared to other nations such as Germany, Britain is a 'walk on by' society.

People in this country are apparently far more likely to ignore, for example yobs smashing up a bus stop, or one person assaulting another than our cousins in Europe.

Why do we think this is? Is our silence perhaps in a way condoning, even encouraging aggression and anti-social behaviour?

The Police say to ignore it. I caught a flower thief a few years ago and the Police where not interested. I even told them where he lived but no,stolen council flowers and the money I had paid for them via council tax where not considered important, despite theft being theft!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theres too many middle-class people afraid for their jobs, that will scream at people to leave things to "the professionals" (ie them) rather than sort it out themselves. Then they do nothing except collect a fat paycheque at the end of the month that enables them to live far away from all the problems they cause.

It's time that A) normal people were given the power to dispense justice, and B) paid professionals were brought to task for their failures, and jailed for corporate manslaughter for example, when someone dies due to their ineptitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    You mean act like a lout and go around beating kids up because they happen to be wearing hoods?
    We aren't doing a very good of avoiding it, are we?

Kids wearing hoods are not breaking the law.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I mean kids ( 14 to 18 + ) walking round late at night abusing people / throwing empty bottles at people / jumping on top of peoples cars / etc

These are the ones we target ...... what they wear is of no consequence ....what would you have people do ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tynediver wrote: »
    I mean kids ( 14 to 18 + ) walking round late at night abusing people / throwing empty bottles at people / jumping on top of peoples cars / etc

These are the ones we target ...... what they wear is of no consequence ....what would you have people do ?

Yeah I can just see it now you and two of your mates see a guy hassling another guy, you wade in and give him a seeing to, then snakes comes along with three of his mates see you beating on some guy he wades in and starts beating on you then someone else with five of his mates....ad infinitum.

A totally stupid solution.

What would I have people do, do what they are meant to do now inform the police, get involved if necessary but don't give people beatings and expect to get away with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tynediver wrote: »

Well if you flag it up - as this article did - it's likely to be dismissed within five seconds as scaremongering. It seems victims of anti-social behaviour, violence and intimidation are between a rock and a hard place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would I have people do, do what they are meant to do now inform the police, get involved if necessary but don't give people beatings and expect to get away with it.

And that's where it all goes wrong. When it comes to this sort of anti social behaviour the the law has shown itself to be either innefective, misguided or tied by legislation. So people get angry, frightened and desperate and do' stupid things'. Blame the system that's fostered this whole balls up.
  • Options
    ElCepilloElCepillo Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no such thing as society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ElCepillo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as society.

You've been having tea with Meggie Pops again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is so much street furniture made out of glass?

That's what I don't understand.

Phone boxes, bus-shelters. It's all glass. Where I used to live they were getting smashed in on a regular basis, but at least also replaced on a regular basis as well.

But why glass? It's just inviting trouble.