Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comment I found from MC: "I started off playing a few scenes in my underwear because I was a bit self-conscious," he says. "But a day or two into it I thought, 'What the hell' and off came the trolleys. It was strangely empowering being in the nude."

And here's more about PB's reaction and why we're unlikely to see MC disrobing in anything she's producing. . .

Life is not all a bed of roses though. Martin has clashed with Philippa, particularly over him stripping off on screen. In Neville's Island, he disrobes to his underpants playing Roy, a Christian fanatic who joins office colleagues on a character-building trip to The Lakes. It becomes a nightmare when they get stranded - a kind of cross between Deliverance*and Preston Front.

Martin ends up baring flesh again in his latest film Touch And Go, due out next year. This story of swinging couples in Solihull meant him spending hours naked while filming sleazy*sex scenes.

"I didn't feel at all comfortable being naked at first but I guess you get used to it," he says. "My wife didn't like it either. There's also that thing when you say, 'It's just a job but you can still be very uncomfortable with it. She didn't like it at all. I quite understand if she didn't like the thought of the conversation going like this, 'So what did you do at work today, dear?' And then you have to explain what happened. Even though she works in the business it makes me feel a little uneasy - but that's the job, isn't it?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't it go over the other way too, to an extreme as in the latest series of DM? The most "undressing" I've seen in S5 is, DM getting in bed with LG with, (close your eyes) no shoes or socks!:eek::eek:

Hopefully, with him stating they will be cohabitating in S6, perhaps a little more of DM will be exposed to LG. First and foremost, those blue pajamas have got to disappear and something more tempting in nightwear. As to LG, I don't think we will ever see her bare-armed anytime soon what with that large tattoo on her left upper arm which I saw in the series The Vice in which she appeared, (and which I can't seem to finish viewing as it is quite raw), it is just not in keeping with the image of her in DM series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here's more about PB's reaction and why we're unlikely to see MC disrobing in anything she's producing. . .

Life is not all a bed of roses though. Martin has clashed with Philippa, particularly over him stripping off on screen. In Neville's Island, he disrobes to his underpants playing Roy, a Christian fanatic who joins office colleagues on a character-building trip to The Lakes. It becomes a nightmare when they get stranded - a kind of cross between Deliverance*and Preston Front.

Martin ends up baring flesh again in his latest film Touch And Go, due out next year. This story of swinging couples in Solihull meant him spending hours naked while filming sleazy*sex scenes.

"I didn't feel at all comfortable being naked at first but I guess you get used to it," he says. "My wife didn't like it either. There's also that thing when you say, 'It's just a job but you can still be very uncomfortable with it. She didn't like it at all. I quite understand if she didn't like the thought of the conversation going like this, 'So what did you do at work today, dear?' And then you have to explain what happened. Even though she works in the business it makes me feel a little uneasy - but that's the job, isn't it?

Looks like Phillipa's got Martin in the right role, Doc Martin, and the right place to live, a farm in Dorset. I heard an actor comment recently, "The right woman can change a man, it may not be the first one, though". In his case, it was the third! :rolleyes:

Maybe, it was Phillipa who came up with those pajamas! :eek::D
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Looks like Phillipa's got Martin in the right role, Doc Martin, and the right place to live, a farm in Dorset. I heard an actor comment recently, "The right woman can change a man, it may not be the first one, though". In his case, it was the third! :rolleyes:

Who were the first and second? I know his ex wife is one, who is the other?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Who were the first and second? I know his ex wife is one, who is the other?

Sorry, was talking about the actor who made the comment!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Newman, the actor, was once interviewed long ago, and the question posed to him was that there never was a scandal about him cheating on his wife, actress Joanne Woodward. His reply was "I get all I want at home." Newman respected his wife both as an actress and a great partner who gave him great latitude to his other interests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Can't it go over the other way too, to an extreme as in the latest series of DM? The most "undressing" I've seen in S5 is, DM getting in bed with LG with, (close your eyes) no shoes or socks!:eek::

Yeah, it would be sad to think that the only extra skin we'll see is if the Doc's hairline recedes. :eek:
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like the Doc is right about Binkies/Dummies:
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/14/binkies-bottles-and-sippy-cups-handle-with-care/?hpt=hp_t3

Binkies, the article says, should be weaned by 6 months old to prevent ear infections, and when in the mouth of toddlers causes oral injuries when they fall. :)
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I just saw the episode "Don't let Go" in which LG asks DM if he wants to make her a "kept woman". These words just don't seem at all appropriate for me and I wonder if in the UK they have a different meaning than in the States? To me the idea of a kept women had a strong illicit element.
    What happened over the summer to the school? Heretofore the children were all portrayed as being easily managed; now their sole purpose seems to be another plot device to generate friction between DM and LG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't it go over the other way too, to an extreme as in the latest series of DM? The most "undressing" I've seen in S5 is, DM getting in bed with LG with, (close your eyes) no shoes or socks!:eek::

Yeah, it would be sad to think that the only extra skin we'll see is if the Doc's hairline recedes. :eek:

Yes, it would. DM's not the sort of show where you expect to see much skin (even the S&M couple were well covered up) but S5 was amazingly prudish. How about small amounts of skin every now and again. After all, done properly, tiny glimpses (of neutral areas, I meant!!!!!) can be more sexy than nudity.
    (Obviously, it is shown post watershed, so if the plot required them to show MC nude then I would support their right to do so. :D;);))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »

Yes, it would. DM's not the sort of show where you expect to see much skin (even the S&M couple were well covered up) but S5 was amazingly prudish. How about small amounts of skin every now and again. After all, done properly, tiny glimpses (of neutral areas, I meant!!!!!) can be more sexy than nudity.
    (Obviously, it is shown post watershed, so if the plot required them to show MC nude then I would support their right to do so. :D;);))

Can we at least get a hug AND a kiss? Not one or the other, but both in the same scene. I'm looking for something along the lines of the taxi or back patio kisses that showed an action, followed by MORE ACTION! With those kisses, DM was actually swept away by the passion of the moment and his heart and body took over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    The fishmonger turns out to be a bit of a Greek Chorus, doesn't he, in our mythical little tale. He states what all the audience knows and believes to the main character who alone has been unable to consciously articulate that truth.
    It's a bit less subtle than we are used to seeing in the show.

Mona, GordonSetter, & NewPark, I love reading this kind of analysis!

Would you say this is the same kind of thing we see/hear from Bert when he steps in and speaks for DM in assorted scenes or is that another kind of dramatic device? I'm referring to moments when DM makes us shout at the TV by not saying what he should be saying, and often what we assume he's really thinking way down deep beneath all of the layers.

For example, when LG wins the headmistress position again in S4, DM lays into her, tells her how wrong she is for doing this, and in the next instant as DM stalks away, Bert says, "Congratulations." Also in S4 when DM is about to leave for London and wants to talk to LG about "practicalities" and they end up in a shouting match outside the school gates, Bert interrupts with the baby shower idea and says to LG, "We do care." Even more blatantly, in S5 at AJ's funeral, DM is fuming about the late arrival of the hearse, and Bert says, "That woman meant everything to you." Would you say in these moments Bert is speaking for DM's inner self or are his comments meant to show a contrast between what should be said vs what is said?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote from RubiRedi at Part 12 (I guess this means we can't go back and quote from the previous thread -- I'm learning): We (my family) are to all intent the 'perfect' family barr the paperwork. In a way I am the odd one out cos I have a different surname but its never bothered any of us. But there are a few legal things that can sometimes get complicated. School - they sometimes look for clarification on.......whatever!! which pisses my 'hubby' no end. Passport thing - just dawned on me...... What if I dropped dead tomorrow!!!! and their passport need renewed the next week?!!

So this is an issue the Doc & Louisa will have to consider, unless the PW Effect miraculously allows them to skip on past the bureaucratic red tape. After all, only in Port Wenn can an unmarried father submit the forms naming his child without even obtaining the signature of the child's mother. Should you drop dead (please don't), leave instructions in your will telling your kids to go to Port Wenn to obtain their passports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can we at least get a hug AND a kiss? Not one or the other, but both in the same scene. I'm looking for something along the lines of the taxi or back patio kisses that showed an action, followed by MORE ACTION! With those kisses, DM was actually swept away by the passion of the moment and his heart and body took over.

Yes, I agree! At the least, I'd like to see DM kiss Louisa without his hands behind his back. Touch her arm, touch her hair, (I don't care, just do something!) grab her and pull her towards you man! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I just saw the episode "Don't let Go" in which LG asks DM if he wants to make her a "kept woman". These words just don't seem at all appropriate for me and I wonder if in the UK they have a different meaning than in the States? To me the idea of a kept women had a strong illicit element.

Gee, I looked up the meaning of a kept woman--a kept woman is maintained in a comfortable (or even lavish) lifestyle by a wealthy man so that she will be available for his sexual pleasure. Is Louisa dreaming? We don't see any "sexual pleasure" going on--and Louisa doesn't fit into the category of a mistress, as both are unmarried, nor does she fit into the category of a trollop (thank you Mrs. Tishell) as that is a prostitute. Is there a meaning out there of just what this relationship can be called?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I agree! At the least, I'd like to see DM kiss Louisa without his hands behind his back. Touch her arm, touch her hair, (I don't care, just do something!) grab her and pull her towards you man! :D:D:D

These embraceless kisses are quite mannered and studied, even elegant, imo. But frustrating -- I also would like to see some hint of real passion, which I think we've only seen in the taxicab kiss and the clinch at the end of S4. The avoidance of this has to be a creative decision, but I don't understand the thinking behind it.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Mona, GordonSetter, & NewPark, I love reading this kind of analysis!

Would you say this is the same kind of thing we see/hear from Bert when he steps in and speaks for DM in assorted scenes or is that another kind of dramatic device? I'm referring to moments when DM makes us shout at the TV by not saying what he should be saying, and often what we assume he's really thinking way down deep beneath all of the layers.

For example, when LG wins the headmistress position again in S4, DM lays into her, tells her how wrong she is for doing this, and in the next instant as DM stalks away, Bert says, "Congratulations." Also in S4 when DM is about to leave for London and wants to talk to LG about "practicalities" and they end up in a shouting match outside the school gates, Bert interrupts with the baby shower idea and says to LG, "We do care." Even more blatantly, in S5 at AJ's funeral, DM is fuming about the late arrival of the hearse, and Bert says, "That woman meant everything to you." Would you say in these moments Bert is speaking for DM's inner self or are his comments meant to show a contrast between what should be said vs what is said?

I have to say that I don't really "like" Bert as a character. He strikes me as rather shifty, always cutting corners, not above engaging in dodgy enterprises or practices. He's possessive of Al, careless about money, etc., etc., incompetent in most of his endeavors, sometimes a little foolish, as in his infatuation with Marigold. He's rather an anti-hero.

But, he really is the antithesis of DM, who is, as GordonSetter has pointed out, a man of "heroic" virtues, upright, moral, fastidious, repressed.

So it's probably not coincidence that it's left to this antithetical character to display the warmth and humanity that DM is shown as lacking, or unable to access. Typical is the warm welcome he waves to LG in S4E2,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    . After all, only in Port Wenn can an unmarried father submit the forms naming his child without even obtaining the signature of the child's mother. .

The Doc didn't say that he had submitted the forms - just that he had filled them in.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gee, I looked up the meaning of a kept woman--a kept woman is maintained in a comfortable (or even lavish) lifestyle by a wealthy man so that she will be available for his sexual pleasure. Is Louisa dreaming? We don't see any "sexual pleasure" going on--and Louisa doesn't fit into the category of a mistress, as both are unmarried, nor does she fit into the category of a trollop (thank you Mrs. Tishell) as that is a prostitute. Is there a meaning out there of just what this relationship can be called?

I think Louisa didn't want to be completely financially dependent upon him. If he likes it he needs to put a ring on it. Period. Just sayin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what has caused Doc Martin and the show to become more prudish (I think that's exactly the right word)? Suit jacket always buttoned up, PJs buttoned up, almost no touching, much less any indication he's attracted to LG. Even the final scene in S5 didn't do it for me because I felt there was commitment, but little or no real attraction.:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I have to say that I don't really "like" Bert as a character. He strikes me as rather shifty, always cutting corners, not above engaging in dodgy enterprises or practices. He's possessive of Al, careless about money, etc., etc., incompetent in most of his endeavors, sometimes a little foolish, as in his infatuation with Marigold. He's rather an anti-hero.

But, he really is the antithesis of DM, who is, as GordonSetter has pointed out, a man of "heroic" virtues, upright, moral, fastidious, repressed.

So it's probably not coincidence that it's left to this antithetical character to display the warmth and humanity that DM is shown as lacking, or unable to access. Typical is the warm welcome he waves to LG in S4E2,

Bert's finest moment.

And I do like Bert, but I'm not sure why. Every description you listed above is correct. I figure if we get to see a wedding in S6, Bert will be out in the congregation taking bets and announcing the odds. I guess I see him as a somewhat realistic small town character. In my experience, in most tiny towns there's a Bert. My favorite is a fellow who went by the nickname "Pork Chop" in a tiny town where a friend grew up. He alternately worked as a plumber, electrician, restauranteur, backyard mechanic, seller of home brew, and head gossiper. He wasn't very good at any of those things, but everyone loved him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    The Doc didn't say that he had submitted the forms - just that he had filled them in.

Yes, but PC Penhale said he had to have them completed And turned in by a certain date. Or else they'll pick out a name for the baby, like Wilberforce. :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally!! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

These embraceless kisses are quite mannered and studied, even elegant, imo. But frustrating -- I also would like to see some hint of real passion, which I think we've only seen in the taxicab kiss and the clinch at the end of S4. The avoidance of this has to be a creative decision, but I don't understand the thinking behind it.

Don't forget the proposal hug! Ah, those were the days. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »

Agree.
This discussion has been closed.