ITV EPG not loading

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
Forum Member
My previous thread about this was moved, because it seemed to be not Humax-related - fair enough.

I now have one Humax with EPG for all channels, including ITV1, until 17:00 on 27/9 - a full seven days.

But another one is showing only the now and next programmes on ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Channel 4 and More 4, all other channels have a full EPG. What has gone wrong with this one, please?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    OK, Problem solved! Changed tuned channel to BBC1, and the ITV EPGs are filling up.

EDIT: Guess you'd better move this one too...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that the EPG for BBC 4 doesn't load unless I tune to BBC 4. I tend to use PiP to set one tuner to BBC 4, but it is irritating that I have to do this. Is this sort of thing transmitter-dependent (I'm on Hannington), or do all transmitters send out the same EPG information?
    Forum Member
    That's a coincidence - I'm on Hannington too!

I just stopped playing back The Bill to check on BBC4, and when I turned on the guide, it was virtually empty, although the tuned channel was BBC1.

So when does the EPG actually start to load? Has the Humax got to be on (not in Standby) and actually showing the live program? It seems so. But it is loading without having the EPG showing, right? I never watch anything live, but as long as I kow to switch on for a while before I set up programmes that is OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The box needs to be on, NOT standby, but I don't think it matters which channel you are tuned to. I have heard it said that if you use PiP (so it's using two tuners) it loads quicker because it uses both tuners; grabbing the EPG for some channels with one, and for others with the others - is that what it does? I usually switch mine on to BBC1 and it loads the BBC channels quicker into the EPG than other channels.

I find it normally takes 10 mintues from switching on to get a fully populated EPG. No big deal for me; I just switch it on before taking the kids up to bed so it's ready by the time we get back down.

That's not so useful if you don't have kids, I guess .. you could either borrow some from friends or family, maybe, or use the auto switch on thing to switch the box on a bit before you want it.

Isn't there a plan to get the EPG saved to disk in a future release ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kays_dad wrote:
    The box needs to be on, NOT standby, but I don't think it matters which channel you are tuned to. I have heard it said that if you use PiP (so it's using two tuners) it loads quicker because it uses both tuners; grabbing the EPG for some channels with one, and for others with the others - is that what it does? I usually switch mine on to BBC1 and it loads the BBC channels quicker into the EPG than other channels.

I find it normally takes 10 mintues from switching on to get a fully populated EPG. No big deal for me; I just switch it on before taking the kids up to bed so it's ready by the time we get back down.

That's not so useful if you don't have kids, I guess .. you could either borrow some from friends or family, maybe, or use the auto switch on thing to switch the box on a bit before you want it.

Isn't there a plan to get the EPG saved to disk in a future release ??

Yes that is in fact what the engineers are working on in time for the next release planned for the end of October. Add your own weeks/months contingency on to that date though. Ogf course there is still a possibility that some problem comes up and its not in the next release - but internally that is the plan and being worked on.
    Forum Member
    Once that happens, will it be clever enough not to replace a populated EPG with a later effort that hasn't produced much, if you see what I mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    kays_dad wrote:
    I find it normally takes 10 mintues from switching on to get a fully populated EPG.
    I find most channels populate within 10 minutes. But, on several occasions after watching BBC1/BBC2/ITV1 (live) for half an hour or more, the BBC 4 EPG has remained completely blank. Not even the now-and-next information is available.

I realise this is nothing to do with the Humax. It's just one of many stupid things about Freeview. I've never really understood why it should take 10 minutes to broadcast the EPG. Each mux manages to spit out video and audio simultaneously for several channels, but they can't find the bandwidth to send what amounts to a smallish text file in less than ten minutes!
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take ten minutes on my Sony box, but then again it can't record two things at once and watch a third at the same time!

I think the algorithm they are using to fill the epg is just a bad one, they are probably loading an entire channel at a time through the 7 days rather than filling today first.