Options

Alien: Covenant

pad-epad-e Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
So, it has been revealed that one of the characters in this sequel to Prometheus is Ripley's mother and this is how they are going to tie all the films together in the lead up to the 1979 Alien. I'm not sure about this. Are they going to make it into a long story of how Ripley's mother battled the Aliens and when the Company couldn't get hold of them through her they decided to use her daughter to maybe do it, as she just happened to follow her mother's career path. Hmmm.

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That does sound rubbish, thought Prometheus was not meant to tread on the hallowed ground of the original Alien, at least the first two.

I enjoyed Resurrection and in retrospect the third has grown on me, I found myself put off by so many British actors on screen after Cameron's epic but the overall design and ending was superb.
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Sounds stupid.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    pad-e wrote: »
    So, it has been revealed that one of the characters in this sequel to Prometheus is Ripley's mother...
    Martha, perhaps?
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why does he have to spoil Alien?

why can't he do Thelma & Louise II, The Flying Car?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    why does he have to spoil Alien?

why can't he do Thelma & Louise II, The Flying Car?

He isn't...ignore the prequels if you like, still doesn't spoil Alien in anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Martha, perhaps?

hehe...:D
  • Options
    LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    He isn't...ignore the prequels if you like, still doesn't spoil Alien in anyway.

While I agree that Alien won't be spoiled, I have to admit to being disappointed with the explanation for the Space Jockey.

The scene in Alien where they enter the chamber and pan out to reveal the Space Jockey in his chair was pretty awe inspiring to my younger self. I feel this scene is ever so slightly diminished by Prometheus. Sometimes things are just better left unexplained.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God, it's going to be more garbage, isn't it?

I found Prometheus to be a genuinely atrocious film. I disliked almost everything about it.

The initial premise is tidy enough, I guess, and it looked pretty sleek. But the increasingly pathetic plot; the annoying characters; their absurd behaviour; the often terrible acting; the embarrassing "twists" in the story; the complete lack of any suspense or fear; and the utterly risible Guy Pearce in old man make-up spectacle, all combine to make it a total dud.

It is a shining example of style over substance.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see them do exactly the same again with the sequel.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Martha, perhaps?
    This means they'll all become best friends at the end then? :p
  • Options
    r1verr1ver Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I really really enjoyed Prometheus and I'm not sure why; I completely get all the criticism levelled at it, and yet it totally worked for me, so obviously I'm excited about this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm more excited about the Blomkamp project than this, Ridley I think has some connection to that as well, which I'm not too fond of, I'm sorry to say. Wondering if, if the above is true, the Blomkamp project will be about Ripley finding out about her mother's connection/past.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    I'm more excited about the Blomkamp project than this
    Is it still on or still on hold?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Oh God, it's going to be more garbage, isn't it?

I found Prometheus to be a genuinely atrocious film. I disliked almost everything about it.

The initial premise is tidy enough, I guess, and it looked pretty sleek. But the increasingly pathetic plot; the annoying characters; their absurd behaviour; the often terrible acting; the embarrassing "twists" in the story; the complete lack of any suspense or fear; and the utterly risible Guy Pearce in old man make-up spectacle, all combine to make it a total dud.

Apparently Pearce filmed scenes without the make up which were later cut.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Apparently Pearce filmed scenes without the make up which were later cut.

He did a bit of viral marketing for the film too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQpGwnN3dfc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it still on or still on hold?

It's listed as announced still on IMDB, but after Prometheus and where Scott is saying he wants to take the franchise, sounds like BS. I'd be more interested in Ripley & Hicks...
  • Options
    pad-epad-e Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Blomkamp film was to be made after Alien: Covenant (at Scott's request)? So after AC is released next year then A2.5 can be made, no?
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    That does sound rubbish, thought Prometheus was not meant to tread on the hallowed ground of the original Alien, at least the first two.

I enjoyed Resurrection and in retrospect the third has grown on me, I found myself put off by so many British actors on screen after Cameron's epic but the overall design and ending was superb.[/QUOTE

Totally agree on all aspects of what you posted. The 3rd was more like the 1st rather than all out war.of the 2nd with it's roller coaster of a theme rather than more suspense. Resurrection had some really funny sequences and 1 liners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The whole alien franchise needs an actual reboot, not more side projects, prequels or sequels.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ If by "reboot" you mean remaking the original, then no, it doesn't need that. Alien is still a fine movie.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    r1ver wrote: »
    I really really enjoyed Prometheus and I'm not sure why; I completely get all the criticism levelled at it, and yet it totally worked for me, so obviously I'm excited about this.

i completely agree. for me i think it was the fact that i always knew it was gonna be part of a trilogy, so i never expected all the answers in one movie so i just took it for what it was. it was a set up movie, which raised more questions than it answered but i enjoyed it just fine anyway.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    The whole alien franchise needs an actual reboot, not more side projects, prequels or sequels.

No ta, there are enough reboots these days. Prefer it when things take place in the same universe.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fox put out a teaser poster with a release date, May 19th-

https://twitter.com/20thcenturyfox/status/801561857475493888
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Prometheus, yes the Fifield/Milburn deciding to quit scene was preposterous, but, take away that, & the movie is pretty good. I've suspended my belief for far lesser movies...

Its slightly exasperating that Ripley has to be used as a 'link'. I would like to see a continuation of the Prometheus story, which I think we're kind of getting.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was so disappointed in prometheus when i watched it, but now every time i see it i like it more and more. i wonder if it's knowing what is going to happen i can just enjoy it more..?

i'm aware quite a lot was cut from the final film too, a lot which does explain things and smooth out some of the rough edges.

i'm hoping covenant will be great.

alien and aliens are pretty much perfect films and i watch alien 3 quite regularly (the longer cut).

resurrection isn't great, IMHO, the comedy is misplaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No ta, there are enough reboots these days. Prefer it when things take place in the same universe.
    Prequels (can) ruin existing franchises though; just take a look here at how many people didn't like Prometheus, even though it's suppose to set the stage for the known Alien franchise.

A reboot is easier; it's a new universe, that doesn't need to worry about altering existing lore. I'm not suggesting they completely rewrite the xenomorph's, only that they tell the story from a fresh, and unique perspective.