Options

Russell T. Davies 'loving new Doctor Who'

QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
Forum Member
✭✭
.. but in the same interview says he limits his viewing of the new series.

So... which is it?

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. but in the same interview says he limits his viewing of the new series.

So... which is it?

Actually, what he says is:
    "I really don't want to know what's happening," he claimed. "I have to know some things, because I am still running The Sarah Jane Adventures, and there's no specific crossover, but we have to make sure we're in the same universe."

He is talking about avoiding spoilers for the show. In the same interview he went on to discuss a case where he had to be told of a specific plot point for Doctor Who that could impact on SJA.

It's DS who misconstrue his comments but writing:
    The writer admitted that he tries to limit his exposure to the new episodes, despite his ongoing involvement with spinoff series Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

which is misleading. It wasn't there interview they are just lifting a few quotes from someone else's.

Anyway, good to hear that RTD is enjoying the show like he was looking forward to doing..:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Actually, what he says is:

He is talking about avoiding spoilers for the show.

It's DS who misconstrue his comments but writing:

which is misleading.

yep...its definitely spoilers he is talking about....and I wouldn't be suprised if he knows less than us spoiler addicts!!!!!:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaah, makes sense when you put it like that Muttley. Thanks for clearing up DS's misleading article ;)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    yep...its definitely spoilers he is talking about....and I wouldn't be suprised if he knows less than us spoiler addicts!!!!!:o:D

ha ha well i suspect he knows a leetle bit more about torchwood though....;):D
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Public statement, not what he thinks or had said privately - actually thinks that they haven't worked hard enough on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public statement, not what he thinks or had said privately - actually thinks that they haven't worked hard enough on it.

Ya see, this is why I was wary and took me so long to start this thread. The predictable Moffat v RTD & David Tennant v Matt Smith bashing. It's tiring.
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya see, this is why I was wary and took me so long to start this thread. The predictable Moffat v RTD & David Tennant v Matt Smith bashing. It's tiring.

Not bashing - commenting on the fact that RTD's statement is at odds with other comments that he's said.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually thinks that they haven't worked hard enough on it.

Did he tell you this personally?

Very wise to avoid all of that stuff, QL. I hope this doesn't go down the usual route.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Not having read the source interview, or any other related material, would I be right in saying that there's a certain implication-by-omission that confirms that Torchwood isn't going to affected by DW or SJA events, i.e. that it is now properly detached?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not having read the source interview, or any other related material, would I be right in saying that there's a certain implication-by-omission that confirms that Torchwood isn't going to affected by DW or SJA events, i.e. that it is now properly detached?

From my gathering, it isn't going to be affected in terms of cross-over stories. However RTD just wants to ensure that things are kept within the DW universe. ie, they are not saying different things, about the same stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bashing - commenting on the fact that RTD's statement is at odds with other comments that he's said.

You do know that twitter account where he said he was disappointed Moffat didn't deliver a pink dalek like he promised, is not actually him?
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not an RTD v SM argument, but if I was RTD I wouldn't be too happy about another writer coming along and "undoing" a lot of the stuff I'd written in the last five years. How much of the RTD Whoniverse still exists after The Big Bang?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not an RTD v SM argument, but if I was RTD I wouldn't be too happy about another writer coming along and "undoing" a lot of the stuff I'd written in the last five years. How much of the RTD Whoniverse still exists after The Big Bang?

I don't think that's necessarily the case. What we saw on TV for the last five years has happened because the viewers saw it happen. If it's been "unwritten", that won't have any impact on whether or not it has ever "really" happened. I don't think anything that is now being said is actively contradicting anything that went before, it's just that the series is moving on to a new phase.

I don't think Russell T Davies would be any more upset by that than John Nathan-Turner (if he were alive, obviously) would be about the Time War and all that Gallifrey stuff.

In the DW universe, anything is possible, and it's possible to put the show's past safely in the past and move in without stating that those past events were in some way wrong or didn't matter, or didn't count. DW has always done that, and any TV professional would be foolish to take such a thing personally.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wouldn't be nothing new if he had. Robert Holmes did it for years while he was script editor, especially with the Time Lord Stuff. Even going back to the beginning, The Doctor's origins and his regenerations have always altered in explanation slightly.

Sometimes you have to bend the 'rules, ' for use of a better word, to make a good story as Holmes proved with The Deadly Assassin. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Russell T Davies would be any more upset by that than John Nathan-Turner (if he were alive, obviously) would be about the Time War and all that Gallifrey stuff.

I was thinking exactly the same thing - given that Russell was one of those writers that undid everything that went before, I doubt if he'd be too upset.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    RTD wrote in that book something to that effect - new team and the show moves on. Also wrote something about never really feeling that attached to Who as the head of it because, after all , he didn't invent it and he was only one in a line of people taking temporary care. (he feels attached to it as a fan and viewer of course.)

So he is almost certainly fine about it.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But didn't RTD undo a fair amount of what preceded him?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Moffats "undoing" a lot of what RTD wrote I haven't noticed.

Some people want to interpret the crack story as having erased everything that went before. No idea why.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    If Moffats "undoing" a lot of what RTD wrote I haven't noticed.

Some people want to interpret the crack story as having erased everything that went before. No idea why.

Well, that's what it was supposed to be. Moffat himself stated he didn't want people remembering what happened before so that when the Daleks turn up, people already know who they are - hence why Amy couldn't remember them in Victory.

With so many alien invaisons in the RTD years, I think if Moffat ever wanted to do a global story, for it to be fresh and new, without the people of Earth being fed up they were being invaded yet again. It was actually a recurring theme with RTD, with Wilf himself saying "What do you want this time, you green swines?"

Personally, I'm liking the idea of moving away from everyone knowing about aliens, even if it is for just the timebeing.

Although, with the Big Bang 2, the memories of previous invaisons may have returned, but I personally think it was a bit of a reset to move away from this. But I suppose the fact it's been left open is sort of to say "whatever works for you"...:)
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you heard this where, exactly?

It doesn't matter. All that stuff still happened; if any of it is no longer in current continuity it's simply because the events occurred in the timeline that existed before the reset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be nothing new if he had. Robert Holmes did it for years while he was script editor, especially with the Time Lord Stuff. Even going back to the beginning, The Doctor's origins and his regenerations have always altered in explanation slightly.

Sometimes you have to bend the 'rules, ' for use of a better word, to make a good story as Holmes proved with The Deadly Assassin. :)

Or sometimes flipping break them altogether to make a dire story as Holmes proved with The Two Doctors. :mad: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking exactly the same thing - given that Russell was one of those writers that undid everything that went before, I doubt if he'd be too upset.

No he didn't undo anything that had gone before. That all still happened, before the Time War.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you heard this where, exactly?

It doesn't matter. All that stuff still happened; if any of it is no longer in current continuity it's simply because the events occurred in the timeline that existed before the reset.

True.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Even back when RTD was still writing the series he used to make Steven Moffat tell him as little as possible about his upcoming scripts just so that he could enjoy them as a 'viewer'. There's that chapter in The Writer's Tale where it caused a bit of bother because they both ended up writing episodes involving Donna becoming trapped in a parallel reality and ending up married with kids. If I remember rightly, "Midnight" got moved to act as a buffer story and RTD removed the husband and kids from "Turn Left".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No he didn't undo anything that had gone before. That all still happened, before the Time War.

The Time War has already been said to have horrible repercussions up and down the time stream, the Ninth Doctor himself that since the war, time has been in flux. Writers have explicitly used the war as an excuse to change events previously established in classic Who.