the best part of the talented richard's trick

2»

Comments

• mogul122mogul122 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    That's an insult to proper magicians. The only thing people will be wondering about is how so many people voted for such a poor trick.

but IMO it was more than just a trick it was an ILLUSION.

the trick was the cards

the illusion was that it was all about the cards when really it was a build up to the grand finale -the brave war veteran!:)
  • treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    mogul122 wrote: »
    but IMO it was more than just a trick it was an ILLUSION.

the trick was the cards

the illusion was that it was all about the cards when really it was a build up to the grand finale -the brave war veteran!:)

It wasn't an illusion though. When you've got a giant curtain covering the entire stage and have someone walk behind it from offstage, that isn't difficult to pull off.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,586
    Forum Member
    It was a masterclass in magic.
    I think Penn and Teller explained that the grand illusion was that Richard made us think that we were watching him perform a magic trick as he messed about with some cards shuffling them about, laying them out on a table, and whatever other time-wasting nonsense he could think of. But that wasn't the trick at all and all that stagecraft was just sleight of hand used to distract us from what was really going on backstage.

While he held our attention little did anybody know that a war veteran was being carefully prepared backstage. Then before we knew what was happening he hit us with the reveal as the curtain was drawn back.
    The war veteran. He was there backstage all that time and nobody knew. Did you know? No, neither did I.
    If you examined him for yourself you'd find out that he was actually real.
    He then topped it off by getting the war veteran to salute us, Richard also saluted.
    We salute you Richard for what magic you have delighted and enthralled us with this evening sir.

A young student of magic need look no further than tonight's performance for a source to gather valuable notes from on how to become a master of the craft.
    Is this sarcasm? Many of the posts on here congratulating the 'magic trick' is so sycophantic as to seem more like veiled sarcasm? if so - I'm with you all the way! :D
    The best part of this cynical, badly performed trick was when it ended.
    My thoughts exactly. It was appallingly twee & an insult to our soldiers really.
    codeblue wrote: »
    i agree with you

ripping off the act of another magician is a disgrace

it is not the same as singing a song another person has written, its like a commedian winning by repeating jimmy carr jokes.

BGT is full of rip offs, george sampson won it by ripping off a VW advert
    !

I really liked George Sampson, but disliked his final act as it all seemed geared to a win for him, he won because Simon Cowell had decided that he wanted him to win - as happened last night. >:(
  • NobbyspilesNobbyspiles Posts: 6,037
    Forum Member
    Firespire wrote: »
    Using a disoriented pensioner to win yourself a quarter of million pounds is a bit low.

Wonder if the old boy will get a share of the £250,000 ?
    Forum Member
    That's an insult to proper magicians. The only thing people will be wondering about is how so many people voted for such a poor trick.
    It wasn't an illusion though. When you've got a giant curtain covering the entire stage and have someone walk behind it from offstage, that isn't difficult to pull off.

yes you are of course quite correct, technically it isn't difficult to pull off, but IMO what is great to pull off is the distraction/surprise element making us think that it is all about a card trick when really the trick was that it was to lead to the war veteran being revealed behind the curtain-I just didn't see that coming and it took me completely by surprise!

In a manner of speaking the talented Richard threw ' a curved ball': and I fell for it hook line and sinker!:)
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,586
    Forum Member
    mogul122 wrote: »
    yes you are of course quite correct, technically it isn't difficult to pull off, but IMO what is great to pull off is the distraction/surprise element making us think that it is all about a card trick when really the trick was that it was to lead to the war veteran being revealed behind the curtain-I just didn't see that coming and it took me completely by surprise!

In a manner of speaking the talented Richard threw ' a curved ball': and I fell for it hook line and sinker!:)

I really am the perennial cynic then - because I was thinking 'what the hell has this got to do with a 'magic trick'? It was game, set & match for Richard to win - and he did. :(
    But not for the right reasons.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roobs wrote: »
    Some serious wooshing going on in this thread.

It's pretty funny :)
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a masterclass in magic.
    I think Penn and Teller explained that the grand illusion was that Richard made us think that we were watching him perform a magic trick as he messed about with some cards shuffling them about, laying them out on a table, and whatever other time-wasting nonsense he could think of. But that wasn't the trick at all and all that stagecraft was just sleight of hand used to distract us from what was really going on backstage.

While he held our attention little did anybody know that a war veteran was being carefully prepared backstage. Then before we knew what was happening he hit us with the reveal as the curtain was drawn back.
    The war veteran. He was there backstage all that time and nobody knew. Did you know? No, neither did I.
    If you examined him for yourself you'd find out that he was actually real.
    He then topped it off by getting the war veteran to salute us, Richard also saluted.
    We salute you Richard for what magic you have delighted and enthralled us with this evening sir.

A young student of magic need look no further than tonight's performance for a source to gather valuable notes from on how to become a master of the craft.

Does your school report card read.....gullible.

To make a man appear on stage after a curtain is pulled back is a masterclass in magic. Goodness gracious. Heard it all now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Does your school report card read.....gullible.

To make a man appear on stage after a curtain is pulled back is a masterclass in magic. Goodness gracious. Heard it all now.

*whooooooooosh*
  • FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He'll get absolutely nothing and if you read the papers if the Army don't give Richard the contract he wants he's out of there now he's milked his connection on TV.
    He wants to do TV shows, tours etc.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,839
    Forum Member
    What have you been smoking? There was no magic in his act.

"If you examined him for youself you'd find out that he was actually real" - thank you for clarifying that because for a moment I thought it was a mannequin.

There was no magic in the reveal of the war veteran. A huge curtain was drawn across the stage and they simply walked behind it. If he had opened the act by showing us an empty box, covered it, did the card show and then pulled away the curtain to reveal the veteran, that would have been something at least.

I think the post went way over your head.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,839
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    Is this sarcasm? Many of the posts on here congratulating the 'magic trick' is so sycophantic as to seem more like veiled sarcasm? if so - I'm with you all the way! :D

My thoughts exactly. It was appallingly twee & an insult to our soldiers really.

I really liked George Sampson, but disliked his final act as it all seemed geared to a win for him, he won because Simon Cowell had decided that he wanted him to win - as happened last night. >:(

Cowell doesn't place the votes or count them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the post went way over your head.

I think the post has gone way over quite a few people's heads!
    Forum Member
    :D please please my learned friends let us take note ! :D

as my old English literature teacher always use to tell us

'sarcasm is the lowest form of WIT ! and is the WIT of the WITLESS!' :D

and I am sure that no one here falls into that category! so no offence (or sarcasm) meant! :D

I just thought that I would share that nugget of wisdom with all you intelligent people:D
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what I was thinking - he won it for him, after all.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lovecat86 wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm taking crazy pills but lining people up behind a curtain isn't a trick... If they'd walked out a box or something after he'd turned it around to show us that it wasn't a trick box, yadda yaddathen maybe. I loved his audition and semifinal but this one was a lot of sentimental fluff and a poor card trick.

You thought I was being serious?:D

I like him and am happy he won rather than the Wayne guy, but on the night I think his act was just terrible, but terrible in a funny way. How it transpired was the sort of thing a comedy writer would write when creating a parody of BGT. But this was real. So it makes it beyond parody now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roobs wrote: »
    Some serious wooshing going on in this thread.

That's reassuring to read because for a moment I thought I must have taken some crazy pills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that most people realise that the post I wrote on the last page was just a joke now, but forgive me for quoting a part of my post.
    This bit......

Well, I've just been on Youtube and BGT's official channel have posted a video of Richard titled 'Military magic man Richard Jones we salute you!' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K786WSkT0xU

Unbelievable, and they mean it. They're not even joking.:D

So bearing that in mind, and considering that I haven't bothered that much with BGT over the last few series, I can fully understand why people on here don't detect sarcasm as easily as they used to, because they're probably so used to people writing over the top ridiculous bullshit praise who actually mean it. As does BGT itself, evidently.

The clip itself is Richard's act from the final. I just watched it again, and it reminded me that in the clip when he lays the cards out and says 1936 some of the crowd are whooping and clapping. He hadn't done anything yet, he was just putting cards on the table and mentioning the year 1936.:D
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    no idea what my fave part is
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    I think the post has gone way over quite a few people's heads!

I can see why though. A lot of people genuinely think Richard was brilliant and totally deserved to win the show. I can only imagine I did not watch the same program they did. :D