Options

Has Doctor Who lost its way because it lost its "soap opera" aspect?

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,058
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth - as far as I can tell, Amy has had the most detailed and sophisticated motivations for travel with the Doctor that we've had so far, all clearly laid out in her first episode. A broken promise made to a child, a woman afraid of growing up, a spirit desperately avoiding being tethered.

But for me, all of what you have written (above) is just something to drive a narrative, rather than develop a character.

This is all completely subjective, of course, but for me Amy remains very much on the surface. I just don't warm to her.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I like what SM has done with Amy,Rory and River. As far as I see the family unit is not only there but evolving as the series develops. I don't feel like an anchor with a council estate/suburb is needed, I'd rather DW be more of a escapist adventure, somewhere different each week than a realistic drama that takes place occasionally in space, that said there have been a good few episodes featuring knebworth.

The funny thing is, despite all the seemingly endless whinging, I do agree with this. Except I think it (series 5 and 6) had some flaws that didn't agree with me.

Some of the council estate anchoring , whilst not necessary, was exceptionally good. Some of it - yak! It was new to me and I didn't want it. But I rewatch series one and reflect that so much of that stuff was a welcome kick up the backside to the format of the show.

I've been interested to read everyone's opinion.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in the slightest. It only becomes useless if it comes down to
    "I like companions that have mothers" and "I like companions that don't have mothers". That's not much of a discussion.

No that wouldn't be much of a discussion, but I don't think that quite applies here. As far as I can see, quite a few people stated their reasons for their preference (e.g., they can relate better to a character or identify more with a character if they have met the character's mother or friends and that this is the reason why they prefer character x).
    N
    I have an enquiring mind, which gets me into trouble. When I come out of a film, I will be the one babbling about themes, about the use of plot devices, about the nice touches in the dialogue. I want to know why things are the way they are. Why did the screenwriter change the source material? Why do people like reality shows? Why do people find the Scottish accent trustworthy? Why are people more likely to buy something if the price ends in 99p?

They're all preferences, but more often than not, there's a reason why people have those preferences.

Thanks for this, in the future I will read your posts with this in mind. Nothing wrong with an enquiring mind, but I can see that it would get you in trouble and that I obviously misunderstood you before.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    The funny thing is, despite all the seemingly endless whinging, I do agree with this. Except I think it (series 5 and 6) had some flaws that didn't agree with me.

Some of the council estate anchoring , whilst not necessary, was exceptionally good. Some of it - yak! It was new to me and I didn't want it. But I rewatch series one and reflect that so much of that stuff was a welcome kick up the backside to the format of the show.

I've been interested to read everyone's opinion.

I actually didn't like the council estate stuff at the beginning, I honestly thought that it would be like an Eastender type of scenario. I don't miss it either, although I now think that it was a much needed addition to Doctor Who. What I did like in the first series was Rose's character and her interactions with others and the Doctore (all went downhill for me in series 2, Ten and Rose were sometimes unbearable). On the other hand, I really liked Amy's introduction (Amelie was great), I liked the fact that we moved away from London and into a small village. To a certain degree, on paper Amy should be one of my favourite companions (I loved the scene with her hanging out of the Tardis and the wonderment etc.) I loved her scenes in Vincent, she was great in the first one with River.
  • Options
    col bcol b Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Watching McCoys stories again recently did surprise me at just how much like Nu-who in tone the latter ones were.The contemparary housing estate settings,companion relationship etc...Most of his last season dealt with ace's journey like no other companion i can recall.
    The 2005-2009 series just seems like a natural continuation of the groundwork which had been layed before only with a bit more punch.