Haggling for a used car

thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I am buying my first car, and even though I look like an adult, I feel like a 5 year old in her mum's high heels when it comes to this!

I've narrowed down my main car to look for (Ford Ka, 2000-2003ish, £600-850ish), and have found a dealership nearby with several in stock, ranging from £595 to £995.

I know the standard advice about checks, and taking guideline prices etc, and my brother will come with me to look at the car (he's owned one before), but he says he's not much up to haggling. £820 is supposed to be a fair price for the £995 car I'm particularly interested in (Ka, 2003, 75k).

My haggling instincts would be (assuming the car is in good condition), offer 700, and work my way up no higher than 850?

Would that seem ok, or should I start lower? My OH is the haggler of the two of us, but he doesn't want to because he knows nothing about cars.

Comments

• codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dealer will probably give you a fixed price, not haggle whatsoever, and leave you to stew.

To be a good haggler yourself, think of the price you are prepared to pay, and if you cannot get it down in price - you HAVE to be prepared to walk away.

Salespersons do this for a living, they know that if you want a car/ product, they have you over a barrel. My technique is to show absolutely no love for a car or house whatsoever (with a dealer or agent, but lots of love for a house with the current owner).

Say look, its a decent car, but my budget is £750. Can i buy it for that?

If they say no, just walk away. There are plenty of cars out there, its a buyers market.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not the greatest of hagglers....

But maybe go to the dealer and just say your looking around for something small.... give him enough hints that he picks out the car you like anyway.... make him sell it to you. Dont say 'I like that ka, whats the best you can do' as that makes it easier for him to sell. Take a look on how/where the car is parked. Can you tell if its been parked there for long? He may want rid of it if its been there a while and be open to a deal.

When eventually he (hopefully) gets the hint and suggests the Ka you can say its a little over your budget. If he seems respondent, take it for a test drive. Do the usual checks (google on that).

Once you are back you can say its nice but over your budget, so what can he do. If he doesnt budge then the ball is in your court. You can walk away and maybe leave him a contact number for him if he has something similar/cheaper. You may find he calls you in a day or so to offer money off.

Remember what was wrong with the car on test drive though (if anything) and once a price is agreed then ask that the stuff you found wrong on the drive/inspection is put right as part of that price.

As I said, i'm crap at haggling and last time I bought a car (2003 focus for the wife to learn in) I was happy to pay almost the full price cos I knew that the dealer would be good if stuff went wrong on it, which to be fair, he was. Had to go back a couple of times and he fixed some minor things for me with no hassle at all. There is a niggling knocking but we agreed it wasn't anything serious but if it did develop more, he would pay for the labour if I paid for the parts.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    If you're buying at that price range, take the money you intend to spend up to with you in notes and show it to him. Say "I've just been and drawn the lot out hoping to pick something up today, look" then cheekily pull the notes out of your pocket. Sometimes, when they see the money, they have to have it.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression you want to haggle just because you think you ought to! At that sort of price level there isn't a great deal of meat in there to haggle over.

Maybe tell them you'll buy the car if throw in a full tank of petrol, or 6 months road tax, a new MOT, or something like that, rather than haggling on the price?
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I get the impression you want to haggle just because you think you ought to! At that sort of price level there isn't a great deal of meat in there to haggle over.

Maybe tell them you'll buy the car if throw in a full tank of petrol, or 6 months road tax, a new MOT, or something like that, rather than haggling on the price?

Nah, I definitely don't want to pay £995 for this car unless it comes with a reference from the pope. I think £850 is fair, £750 great, anything less and I'd count myself lucky.

I've been lucky enough to be able to walk past their garage every day on my way to work, so I can get a good view of their stock before going to see them.

They have 3-4 KA models at £595-995, a couple of Fiestas at £650-£795 and one or two others in my price and type brackets. If I fail to agree the price on the ka, then I can always have a go at the cheaper model. This garage has a good reputation and is close to work, so I'm keen to buy from them (hopefully it won't show!).

I think even though I want the Ka in particular, I'm going to look at a few tomorrow at lunchtime, and then go along with my brother on Saturday, and save any test drives for the Saturday perhaps.

I'll take the tips about taking cash on the Saturday too! My max price is £850 on any vehicle, but I have til the end of the month to sort a vehicle out, so hopefully if they don't take that at first then they might change their minds in a week or two.

Thank you everyone for the replies - some very good tips!
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a fiesta a few years ago that was priced up at 1300 on the forecourt, he had it online for 1250, Which was what I paid for it, but he did tax it for me for 6 months.

When I looked at it, and said im interested but its a bit above my budget, he said it was up to me but another couple were coming to look at it later, so I told him to let them have it :o He offered to tax it for me If i took it.

Make sure when you buy a car to do the text check, I didnt bother and ended up with a car that was a cat c write off. And I had asked the dealer if it had been in a accident and he said it hadn't
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

I am buying my first car, and even though I look like an adult, I feel like a 5 year old in her mum's high heels when it comes to this!

I've narrowed down my main car to look for (Ford Ka, 2000-2003ish, £600-850ish), and have found a dealership nearby with several in stock, ranging from £595 to £995.

I know the standard advice about checks, and taking guideline prices etc, and my brother will come with me to look at the car (he's owned one before), but he says he's not much up to haggling. £820 is supposed to be a fair price for the £995 car I'm particularly interested in (Ka, 2003, 75k).

My haggling instincts would be (assuming the car is in good condition), offer 700, and work my way up no higher than 850?

Would that seem ok, or should I start lower? My OH is the haggler of the two of us, but he doesn't want to because he knows nothing about cars.
    Your 'haggling instincts' are pretty much spot on.

Whatever the price, go in way below the asking price knowing the seller is going to refuse, then work gradually up until you can reach an agreed figure. If the seller refuses to budge from his figure......walk away. You will be amazed at the effects this has, not only on the seller but also you as the buyer. It gives you breathing space and time to reconsider. Moreover the seller has almost certainly lost a potential sale.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    first dealers are professionals at this, and are probably better than you

second £100 - is neither here nor there really. a bad car will cost you £100s to keep on the road. A good car will not.

Get a good one.

At this price point, you may get a better deal out of your local paper. depends whether you need dealer finance
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes if they won't move on the price you could try getting tax and petrol thrown in
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    I bought a fiesta a few years ago that was priced up at 1300 on the forecourt, he had it online for 1250, Which was what I paid for it, but he did tax it for me for 6 months.

When I looked at it, and said im interested but its a bit above my budget, he said it was up to me but another couple were coming to look at it later, so I told him to let them have it :o He offered to tax it for me If i took it.

Make sure when you buy a car to do the text check, I didnt bother and ended up with a car that was a cat c write off. And I had asked the dealer if it had been in a accident and he said it hadn't

Basically the same happened to me.I said ok and was walking away.I got full tank,new spare tyre,6 months tax and all new floor mats and all under the official price.ANY reputable dealer will respond to haggling.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......... This garage has a good reputation and is close to work..........

The first fact is worth £100+, and the second is a bonus if it needs any work.

At that sort of age, and presumably low mileage (or a dealer would be unwilling to carrry it) there's no real market value - they're all individual.

If it's low mileage, with full service history and MOT, and comes with a reasonable warranty (three months at least) then it's worth the top of the price range. Since it's from a dealer the Sale of Goods Act will apply, to a limited extent, unless it's marked "as seen and accepted".

Which doesn't stop you using the haggling techniques mentioned, of course.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind that the ka has the old (really old) 1.3 'kent' engine in it.

The Fiesta 1.3 is the same but if they have a 1.25 engine then i believe its a newer and better engine.

Ive driven a Ka (hire for a short term contract I did) and to be fair was a nice little run about. The fiesta I the owned after, a 1.25 was a better car though
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be no good at haggling but after watching several series of American Pickers and Auction Hunters it doesn't bother me any more :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind that the ka has the old (really old) 1.3 'kent' engine in it.

The Fiesta 1.3 is the same but if they have a 1.25 engine then i believe its a newer and better engine.

Ive driven a Ka (hire for a short term contract I did) and to be fair was a nice little run about. The fiesta I the owned after, a 1.25 was a better car though

Yep - it's not that I'm specifically anti other cars, but the Ka is the one I'm best acquainted with due to there being so many in the market. There are two fiestas available at this delaers, but I can see the rust on one from the pictures, so it's a non-starter.

I'm planning to buy a cheap run around and look after it well for a year whilst my OH learns to drive, and then buy something a bit tidier when we're both putting money into it.

Thanks again everyone - some very good advice. I usually like to do things myself and manage well, but there's just so much to know it's a bit overwhelming.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from memory, the orginal Ford Ka started out with the very old 1.3 OHV engine - as per used in the Fiesta of the same era. However, at some point in 2003, the engine in the Ka was replaced by a newer 1.3 OHC which is a bit better.

I will get shot for saying this, as original Ford Ka's are so common place, but its not the best small car out there, quite average infact. If u want i could list the bits i dont like....so thats steering, gearbox, clutch, door mirrors, cabin space in back, rear seats, and engine (OHV and OHC), body work prone to rust.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

this is the way to do it..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    from memory, the orginal Ford Ka started out with the very old 1.3 OHV engine - as per used in the Fiesta of the same era. However, at some point in 2003, the engine in the Ka was replaced by a newer 1.3 OHC which is a bit better.

I will get shot for saying this, as original Ford Ka's are so common place, but its not the best small car out there, quite average infact. If u want i could list the bits i dont like....so thats steering, gearbox, clutch, door mirrors, cabin space in back, rear seats, and engine (OHV and OHC), body work prone to rust.

Thanks but no thanks :) I appreciate there are issues with the Ka, but within my budget there will always be issues! I'm looking for something that will do for a year, not my ideal car - in fact asap I will be changing up to a younger toyota!

They have a nice looking Clio, but I'm put off by the fact that my brother has a Clio with serious issues, and the two girls at work with them both have problems too. Also, of the six cars I learned to drive in, it was the runt of the bunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I went to Tunisia to see where that was filmed and haggled for a gourd! Couldn't find a beard :(

Depressingly, all the hagglers were impersonating Del Boy rather than Monty Python.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, I went and had a look at the dealers in my lunch break and they had 6 ford kas (though apparently they 'have trouble getting hold of them' - yeah, that's why you have 6!), a renault clio and two fiat seicentos. The fiesta has no seats at present!

He left me to root around them with my list, and I went over 4 as thoroughly as I could without the bonnet/test drive, and one Ford Ka in particular looks promising.

2003 54 plate, 12 month MOT with new rear wheels at last MOT, no sign of rust, good nick inside, and only a little cosmetic damage on one door handle.

He offered me £900 on three vehicles with a tag price of £995, so £850 shouldn't be too difficult to swing.

Only question now is - any extra probing I should do at the test drive tomorrow beyond the following?

Under bonnet checks - oil, all reservoirs filled etc.
    Tax Length (forgot to ask today)
    Timing (cam) belt - the car is at 75k, SHOULD have been replaced by now, but maybe not.
    All service and MOT/cert data present and correct.
    Any rattles or niggles when driving (this will be hard from me to 'level' the normality, because my driving experience ranges from a brand new Audi to a clapped out Clio)

As you can see, I find this car promising, especially if the recent MOT results are good. My brother is less certain, but as he's sunk a load of money into his rubbish Clio I don't have the highest opinion of his car rating...

I'm going to need to focus a lot to 'spread my interest' and not appear too keen on this Ka - I would like to knock at least another £50 of the price for a fair deal.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its hard to see why £50 is so important. to be honest.

don't miss a car that will give you a trouble free years motoring for the sake of £50.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    If the car is only on at £995, it's probably a part exchange, so they will have given little more than half that amount for it.

Take cash, offer them £700 and go from there. Whatever you do, don't give them the asking price. If you get close to the asking price insist on some tax or a tank of petrol.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, I went and had a look at the dealers in my lunch break and they had 6 ford kas (though apparently they 'have trouble getting hold of them' - yeah, that's why you have 6!), a renault clio and two fiat seicentos. The fiesta has no seats at present!

He left me to root around them with my list, and I went over 4 as thoroughly as I could without the bonnet/test drive, and one Ford Ka in particular looks promising.

2003 54 plate, 12 month MOT with new rear wheels at last MOT, no sign of rust, good nick inside, and only a little cosmetic damage on one door handle.

He offered me £900 on three vehicles with a tag price of £995, so £850 shouldn't be too difficult to swing.

Only question now is - any extra probing I should do at the test drive tomorrow beyond the following?

Under bonnet checks - oil, all reservoirs filled etc.
    Tax Length (forgot to ask today)
    Timing (cam) belt - the car is at 75k, SHOULD have been replaced by now, but maybe not.
    All service and MOT/cert data present and correct.
    Any rattles or niggles when driving (this will be hard from me to 'level' the normality, because my driving experience ranges from a brand new Audi to a clapped out Clio)

As you can see, I find this car promising, especially if the recent MOT results are good. My brother is less certain, but as he's sunk a load of money into his rubbish Clio I don't have the highest opinion of his car rating...

I'm going to need to focus a lot to 'spread my interest' and not appear too keen on this Ka - I would like to knock at least another £50 of the price for a fair deal.

Couple of things:
    - 54 is a 2004 plate.
    - the 2003 Ka has a timing chain, not a belt. These need changing much less frequently. The 2004 model with the newer engine may well have a belt, however.

I have a 2003 Ka and it's been nothing but a workhorse for me. I've had it 6 years and it's been impossible to stop the rust setting in, but I have no other complaints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2004 should be the chain as mentioned above (good for the life of the engine normally), check around the petrol cap and boot lock where you put the key in for rust. Finally get the steering rack looked at for signs of leaks (look at the gators by each front wheel for evidence of leaking steering fluid as this fill when the seal has gone on the steering rack). Apart from that the KA should be good to go as they are extremely good small little cars :)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd offer £650 and see how low they will go. Meet them in the middle, so probably end up at £775 or there abouts. I wouldn't go any higher.

I always offer a ridiculously low price. I get some very strange looks, but I don't really care. :) I once got a price of £2550 for a hybrid Honda Civic that had a screen price close to four grand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check for a steady engine idle, as the car warms up (the wife's needed a new ICV) - if the engine "hunts" then haggle an extra £100 off for a new ICV. Check the electrics on the boot (the demister/wiper) - the probes that provide the power to the boot can get corroded and the behaviour becomes erratic - don't let that be a deal-breaker, but suck your teeth and knock off another £50. The engine has a reputation for the spark plugs corroding in place - something about being subject to road spray - check they've been replaced during service recently - or again, suck teeth.

KA is a remarkably good little car - I was impressed with my wife's (KA3, with alloys and air con), despite me preferring larger, bigger engined cars. Fond memories of fitting a tub-chair in her boot that we couldn't get into a large black cab or my Omega.