Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Britain's Got Talent - 2007. ;) I know what you mean, though.

Is Sunday Night at the Palladium still going ahead on ITV and, if so, does anyone know when it's airing?
    Sunday nights at 7pm in September. It'll be thrashed by Strictly Come Dancing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

ITV aren't taking big swings in entertainment though. They'll make it to the end of this year without a single major new series launch. The next one will be Rising Star. Which, unsurprisingly, is from ITV Studios!

ITV Studios haven't had an ent hit in aeons either, Dancing on Ice being the last. back in 2006. The Chase is a hit in daytime, and that Tricked on ITV2 did well, but nothing big.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    ITV are hiding their failures somewhat because they still have some old shows that are doing ok, IACGMOOH, X-Factor, BGT, Ant 'n Decs Thing.

But in LE what have they created recently that's any good? As bad as the BBC really.

I think it's because light entertainment needs a hands-off approach from the top-dogs at the BBC and ITV. But they just can't help but get involved.

Take out the big shows that are 10 years old and ITV's light entertainment successes are old quizzes that they brought back. The only difference is BBC1 have one big show (Strictly), whereas ITV have 3 (I'm A Celebrity, BGT, X Factor).
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Take out the big shows that are 10 years old and ITV's light entertainment successes are old quizzes that they brought back. The only difference is BBC1 have one big show (Strictly), whereas ITV have 3 (I'm A Celebrity, BGT, X Factor).
    BBC also has The Apprentice and Teh Great British Bake Off.

The BBC actually has more 4million+ entertainment successes than Itv.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    BBC also has The Apprentice and Teh Great British Bake Off.

The BBC actually has more 4million+ entertainment successes than Itv.

You spin around more than a record!

On Saturdays BBC1 have no big hitters at all other than SCD. DW asides there isn't much on Saturday night BBC1 to get excited about. The last time BBC1 launched a new LE show to success was Total Wipeout, and that got around 5m viewers consistently. But in their wisdom, they axed it and replaced it with 101 ways to Leave a Gameshow.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    BBC News: 1.96m (18.1%)
    BBC Regional News: 2.47m (22.1%)
    Pointless: 2.83m (22.4%)
    Tumble: 3.16m (20.7%)
    Lottery: Break the Safe: 3.16m (17.7%)
    Casualty: 3.99m (21.0%)
    Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.19m (22.9%)
    BBC News: 3.96m (23.2%)
    Michael McIntyre's Showtime: 2.10m (15.8%)
    The Football League Show: 874k (12.1%)

I've already established that this is going to be a long day on this thread...
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Tumble - Breakdown
    18:30 - 2.61m (19.3%)
    18:35 - 2.64m (19.0%)
    18:40 - 2.75m (19.5%)
    18:45 - 2.91m (20.8%)
    18:50 - 3.01m (21.3%)
    18:55 - 3.15m (22.0%)
    19:00 - 3.15m (21.4%)
    19:05 - 3.16m (20.9%)
    19:10 - 3.11m (20.5%)
    19:15 - 3.04m (19.8%)
    19:20 - 3.14m (20.0%)
    19:25 - 3.21m (20.6%)
    19:30 - 3.23m (20.6%)
    19:35 - 3.33m (20.4%)
    19:40 - 3.50m (21.4%)
    19:45 - 3.56m (21.3%)
    19:50 - 3.54m (21.0%)
    19:55 - 3.87m (23.0%)

ITV excluding +1 and HD
    18:30 - ITV News: 1.59m (11.5%)
    18:45 - You've Been Framed!: 1.84m (12.2%) inc HD

Not good at all for Tumble. With a launch rating at 3.16m it doesn't really give it anywhere to go. If it grows it'll still be sub 4million and if it falls it'll be a disaster. It does seems to have picked up passable share but even here it was share-beaten by Pointless, Casualty, Mrs Brown and 2 sets of news. The breakdown suggests it peaked at about 3.6million, which is a poor peak for live entertainment show (assuming the sudden increase in the last 5mins was people tuning in for the lottery quiz).

I'm quite surprised more didn't tune in, to at least sample the program given the promotion it has had.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All of the three you have mentioned are seven to twelve years old. It only takes the big three to flop one year and ITV will be in big trouble as they haven't thought of replacements. Also constantly reviving eighties game shows like Family Fortunes smacks of a lack of imagination.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IAC is lucky to still survive now, Same old rubbish every year now.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What has luck got to do with it. 10 million people consistantly watch this every year and enjoy it.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Sunday nights at 7pm in September. It'll be thrashed by Strictly Come Dancing.

Thanks. Surprise Surprise held up at 4m against Countryfile and Strictly so I guess they'll hope for at least the same number this time round.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad thing is that I don't think anyone has any ideas any more on both channels, Saturday night will end up with One Show at this rate.

They just need a feel good show like I said a couple pages back (bringing back Gladiators), or anything that is fast moving and has different things going for it. Things like Splash and Tumble are slow to get going, and feels like there is more talking and adverts than there is actual action.

SNT is still popular not only because Ant and Dec present but because different things are done. It doesn't concentrate on one thing, it has interviews, pranks on celebrities, audience participation, skits, competitions amongst audiences and the hosts themselves etc...

But a lot of shows nowadays concentrate on one thing and its dragged out, which keeps the pace slow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    All of the three you have mentioned are seven to twelve years old. It only takes the big three to flop one year and ITV will be in big trouble as they haven't thought of replacements. Also constantly reviving eighties game shows like Family Fortunes smacks of a lack of imagination.

They're near enough around ten years old. But ITV have three big formats and BBC1 just has one. BBC1 struggles to find a blockbuster as have ITV, but it looks worse for BBC1 as Strictly is their only success.

And ITV are just bringing back old quizzes. That's pathetic. No new ideas just old quizzes padded out for an hour and stuffed with celebs. Useless!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One's Tumble begins with more than 3 million viewers

BBC One's Tumble premiered to more than 3 million viewers last night (August 9), according to overnight figures.

The celebrity gymnastics show averaged 3.16m (20.7%) across its 90-minute timeslot from 6.30pm.

It was followed by The National Lottery: Break the Safe (3.16m/17.7%), before the latest instalment of Casualty treated 3.99m (21%) from 8.50pm.

On BBC Two, Proms Extra drew 457k (2.5%) from 8.30pm and Melvyn Bragg's Radical Lives took 455k (2.4%) from 9.15pm.

ITV's Tipping Point: Lucky Stars continued with 2.68m (15.3%) from 7.45pm, with All Star Family Fortunes grabbing 2.4m (12.7%) afterwards.

Channel 4's repeat of Grand Designs on 8pm was watched by 1.02m (5.7%), before an airing of the film Immortals appealed to 1.46m (8.3%).

On Channel 5, the latest Big Brother was caught by 865k (4.6%) from 9pm, with Bit on the Psych later drawing 340k (3.3%).

Earlier in the evening, test cricket highlights between England and India entertained 1.01m (6.4%) and World's Worst Storms took 468k (2.6%).

On the multichannels, the return of The Simpsons managed 502k (3%) from 7.30pm on Sky1.

The animated comedy was followed by the series premiere of Got to Dance - which was enjoyed by 430k (2.4%) from 8pm - and A Touch of Cloth (246k/1.3%) from 9pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree and it's amazing such a dated and passe format( zelebs in a strange location) has lasted 12 years. Yet 8 million people still seem to want to watch it, but should Ant and Dec decide to leave, or the line up is bad( and they are scraping the barrel), I think that will be it. I just find it lowbrow trash and usually find the BBC have something more intelligent as an alternative.
    Most people I know who watch IAC tend to be women.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Studios haven't had an ent hit in aeons either, Dancing on Ice being the last. back in 2006. The Chase is a hit in daytime, and that Tricked on ITV2 did well, but nothing big.

Even Studios are reduced to selling bought in formats now. Itv are commissioning almost nothing off paper these days. It's all revivals and imports even when it's an import like Amazing Greys. The best shot for original entertainment on itv is 5pm with quiz shows and the potential of a primetime promotion.

It's probably in the best condition of any of these shows at the moment.
    The animated comedy was followed by the series premiere of Got to Dance - which was enjoyed by 430k (2.4%) from 8pm .

I forgot that was back, not a great launch rating.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    BBC1's problem is that outside of Mrs Brown's Boys their comedies don't rate well at all. Miranda came from BBC2 and Still Open All Hours is a resurrection of Open All Hours....which also started on BBC2.

And ITV's biggest sitcom is a resurrected BBC sitcom in Birds Of A Feather, so they aren't doing much better.
    That's a fair point.

I read somewhere that the demise of comedy is greatest tragedy on British TV and I cannot agree more. Maybe it's because of the working class 'demise', but everything is safe and predictable. The BBC are conformists; don't want to upset anyone. And won't commission comedies that shock people.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I agree and it's amazing such a dated and passe format( zelebs in a strange location) has lasted 12 years. Yet 8 million people still seem to want to watch it, but should Ant and Dec decide to leave, or the line up is bad( and they are scraping the barrel), I think that will be it. I just find it lowbrow trash and usually find the BBC have something more intelligent as an alternative.

All women are mindless bimbos ;) I dunno how they get to control television channels.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    It's probably in the best condition of any of these shows at the moment.
    Isn't overexposed, on for less than a month, presenters are good and you get to spot who is a celeb and who isn't.

All in all, jolly good fun. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a fair point.

I read somewhere that the demise of comedy is greatest tragedy on British TV and I cannot agree more. Maybe it's because of the working class 'demise', but everything is safe and predictable. The BBC are conformists; don't want to upset anyone. And won't commission comedies that shock people.

Except for Mrs. Brown's Boys of course. The BBC are slowly increasing their comedy output. There's Boomers starting Friday (which they are close to recommissioning apparently), and that Matt Lucas vehicle which sounds crap. Then Open All Hours as well as Citizen Khan, Mrs. Brown's Boys and Not Going Out. Apparently, according to Samuel, they have a monster mega-hit, the biggest comedy launch since The Royal Bodyguard called Peter Kay's Car Share, which is due to take British TV by storm this Autumn. It's so good apparently, the BBC execs have wet themselves with excitement.

Does anyone remember the days where BBC1 would have a minimum of 3 sitcoms on each week during the week and at least 2 on Sundays EVERY week of the year?
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Loads bombed back then too though. Nostalgia beffuddles the brain. "Next of Kin" a terrible sitcom to be given to Penelope Keith "Honey for Tea" Felicity Kendal "Joint Account" Peter Egan and Hannah Gordon, "No Frills" with Kathy Staff "Waiting For God" with Steohanie Cole got loads of series bizarrely! "Grace and Favour" Mollie Sugden "First of the Summer Wine" as if the "Last" wasn't punishment enough!! "The Liver Birds" relaunch "Screaming" with Penelope Wilton, "Blooming Marvellous" with Clive Mantle and Sarah Lancashire not all as rosy as those glass tinted specs would have you believe. There's actually nothing more depressing like a bad sitcom but these all cluttered up the schedule too just like stuff we have today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Except for Mrs. Brown's Boys of course. The BBC are slowly increasing their comedy output. There's Boomers starting Friday (which they are close to recommissioning apparently), and that Matt Lucas vehicle which sounds crap. Then Open All Hours as well as Citizen Khan, Mrs. Brown's Boys and Not Going Out. Apparently, according to Samuel, they have a monster mega-hit, the biggest comedy launch since The Royal Bodyguard called Peter Kay's Car Share, which is due to take British TV by storm this Autumn. It's so good apparently, the BBC execs have wet themselves with excitement.

Does anyone remember the days where BBC1 would have a minimum of 3 sitcoms on each week during the week and at least 2 on Sundays EVERY week of the year?

Oh yes, and BBC One always had comedy on Thursdays after TOTP. This was the slot were such greats as The Good Life and Kenny Everett thrived. ITV also had its Monday sitcom slot after Coronation St, although they didn't have the same success.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To throw my tuppence in (not that it matters much), Tumble was ok but not spectacular. The set is a little too big and shallow for my liking, and whilst the lighting and graphics are ok, the casting is a mixed bag. With all due respect, Alex Jones is NOT a Saturday night entertainment host; she looks lost and has very little charisma. Judging panel is ok, but nothing too spectacular. Celebs are a decent bunch, but it's quite clear they are doing it for the money (on some shows, like Strictly for example, this is barely noticeable)

For those criticising the BBC and ITV for their entertainment slates, it's clear you know very little about commissioning. Entertainment is one of the hardest genres to get away on television. With dramas you have good scripts, with factual you have well researched topics, but with entertainment it is just a 'fun idea' that you want to make for telly. You need to test your format, pilot it (and develop it further if need be) and even then it might get dropped. Broadcasters will only give you so much money for development, but you have to pay quite a bit out of your own pocket too!

Tumble is a solid idea. As with all talent shows, casting (in every sense of the word) is important, but the execution is even more important! There is the potential for a huge hit in there, but they need to find out where they are going wrong themselves. Whilst first impressions always count, I normally give a show at least 3 episodes to settle. Then a serious judgment about recommissions can begin to be made.

The only certainty in entertainment telly; if the ratings climb, it will get a recomission!
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's put that to the test, Glenn.

I'm a Celebrity - 2013 - Consolidated figures
    - Total = 11.13m (40.3%)
    - Male = 4.40m (35.2%)
    - Female = 6.73m (44.6%)

- ABC1 = 4.91m (36.5%)
    - 16-34 = 2.63m (47.2%)

About a 40/60 split. You'll be lucky if you find many shows that skew in favour of men outside of sport and Top Gear.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    After waiting for the missing episode rating for episode 9 for Season 4, here's a look at Game of Thrones official consolidated ratings for Seasons 1-4:

Season 1: 1.17m
    Season 2: 895k
    Season 3: 1.02m (inc +1: 1.11m)
    Season 4: 1.65m (inc +1: 1.73m)

Huge growth for the latest season presumably after the shock in season 3 and viewers who've never seen it before watching the show On Demand in preparation for season 4 which has propelled it to some huge numbers on Sky Atlantic. If you include the simulcast for episode 1 which was shown at 2am the latest series averaged 1.73m (inc +1: 1.81m).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Loads bombed back then too though. Nostalgia beffuddles the brain. "Next of Kin" a terrible sitcom to be given to Penelope Keith "Honey for Tea" "Joint Account" Peter Egan and Hannah Gordon, "Waiting For God" got loads of series bizarrely! "Grace and Favour" "The Liver Birds" relaunch "Screaming" not all as rosy as those glass tinted specs would have you believe.

Waiting for God was relatively popular. I do remember Honey for Tea. But I like to think it's a bad dream. Next of Kin was not a terrible sitcom by a long way. Just a bit of a grim synopsis for a sitcom. Joint Account got two series' and was not a flop by todays standards. The Liver Birds didn't work because it was unbelievable and contrived. Grace and Favour was badly executed.

However there was also:

The Brittas Empire
    Vicar of Dibley
    Men Behaving Badly
    Keeping Up Appearances (until 1995)
    In Sickness and in Health
    Last of the Summer Wine
    Only Fools and Horses
    You Rang M'Lord
    The Thin Blue Line
    As Time Goes By
    One Foot in the Grave
    Waiting For God
    Birds of a Feather
    Two Point Four Children
    Sitting Pretty
    Bread
    On The Up
    Goodnight Sweetheart

Many of these were running alongside each other. It is hard to create a list of three now! How many new sitcoms have aired on BBC1 this year? Is it really just Outnumbered and Blandings and those awful comedy pilots?
This discussion has been closed.