Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God it's hit my house now. My wife and son have been nominated. I have no feelings about the actual thing but now I'm gonna have to stand there taking the bloody video and uploading it off a phone on to Facebook and I have no idea about Facebook or how to upload a bloody video to it.

Someone will probably nominate me but they can kiss my arse. I'll just donate.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I don't think it's funny at all. You can just imagine that foul mouthed toddler in a few years time. I would be ashamed if it were one of my children.

Agreed.

We're no fun cretins though, remember. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine many of those who dislike this challenge, say they would never do it because they aren't a 'sheep' etc, would never be the types to get nominated in the first place. Sad lonely folk who get upset when they see other people having fun. Deep down I bet many of these people wish they had friends in the firstplace to nominate them!

Harsh maybe, but I think it has elements of truth in it.

I don't think it's harsh, just that it shows a very immature level of understanding when it shows how different human beings are when it comes to what we find entertaining, when it comes to introverts and extroverts and a whole array of things that make one person love things like the ice bucket challenge while another person will loathe it.

I've never understood people who call those who enjoy different things, quieter things, "miserable" but that's just me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Just came in and it turns out-

"Although more than $94 million in donations have been raised through the viral “ice bucket” social media campaign, the actual amount going towards the non-profit ALS Association’s research is strikingly different.

According to the ALS Association’s own 2014 financial breakdown, only 27 percent of funds make their way to researching a cure for the disease. Despite its non-profit status, six figure salaries are bestowed upon the group’s top 11 executives."
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh is this a fundraising activity? I just assumed it was one of those attention-seeking Facebook things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    Oh is this a fundraising activity? I just assumed it was one of those attention-seeking Facebook things.

Fundraising for a charity that only gives 27% of the money that is given to them goes into researching a cure. Like a lot of large charities. My advice is donate to local charities or give to charities that give the large majority of their money to actually tackling the problem they say they are trying to solve.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fundraising for a charity that only gives 27% of the money that is given to them goes into researching a cure. Like a lot of large charities. My advice is donate to local charities or give to charities that give the large majority of their money to actually tackling the problem they say they are trying to solve.

I've seen a few FB 'friends' doing this challenge recently - but there has been no mention of fundraising. I think some people are just doing it for a 'laugh'. I have direct debits set up for the charities I support, so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If everyone does it then there is something sinister always about it. All these trends promoted by the media and the pathetic cringe worthy laughing from the propaganda reporters I mean news reporters just sends shivers up my spine.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Although more than $94 million in donations have been raised through the viral “ice bucket” social media campaign, the actual amount going towards the non-profit ALS Association’s research is strikingly different.

According to the ALS Association’s own 2014 financial breakdown, only 27 percent of funds make their way to researching a cure for the disease. Despite its non-profit status, six figure salaries are bestowed upon the group’s top 11 executives."

Yep. I heard about this before.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Yep. I heard about this before.:(

Best to donate to smaller charities. I also don't see why we have to donate money to big pharma to find a cure they would make loads of money from, all they care about is profit and most of the money does not even go to them it goes to management 6 figure salaries. It is rather sick.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That doesn't mean anything. In the past, they didn't HAVE that much money to give. They probably spent money supporting patients and families or caretakers, and on PR.
    A significant portion to community services.

They ARE a small charity that happened to get lucky.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i spotted an ice-bong challenge in my feed, i can do that one. :p
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you have figures for the UK one - MNDA? Or The Scotish one. They may be better. And although only 27% goes on research, does other money go on things like operating a help line or web site? What percentage of overall revenue do the salaries account for?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone does it then there is something sinister always about it. All these trends promoted by the media and the pathetic cringe worthy laughing from the propaganda reporters I mean news reporters just sends shivers up my spine.

That's what a bucket of ice would do too.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I don't think it's harsh, just that it shows a very immature level of understanding when it shows how different human beings are when it comes to what we find entertaining, when it comes to introverts and extroverts and a whole array of things that make one person love things like the ice bucket challenge while another person will loathe it.

I've never understood people who call those who enjoy different things, quieter things, "miserable" but that's just me.

I enjoy quieter things too, nothing miserable about it. I wouldn't judge and call people who enjoy such things to be sheep, chavs, shallow, attention seekers, halfwits etc.. Just some of the names I have seen used.

In no way am I saying anyone who hates this challenge is lonely or miserable. Just like you can't understand why some people think quieter people are miserable, I can't understand the judgement and name calling of people who enjoy such extrovert challenges.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing unusual in that. If a charity isn't professionally run it won't raise enough to even cover its costs.

Quite a few years ago I was involved in the recruitment of a not-quite-top person for a big charity (outside the top 11). They had to offer a six-figure sum to attract someone out of a pharma, and even then they'd be taking a c40k drop. GBP of course, not USD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like you can't understand why some people think quieter people are miserable, I can't understand the judgement and name calling of people who enjoy such extrovert challenges.

That's fair enough, but I think those who do get slagged off do tend to be people that are obviously attention seeking and obnoxious...people like that aren't usually too hard to spot, just like people who are meanie old killjoys for no reason can be obvious too. :)
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think I'll pass on this one.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Aww, sweet. Do you have a thimble? :)

A thimble isn't a bucket.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Do you have figures for the UK one - MNDA? Or The Scotish one. They may be better. And although only 27% goes on research, does other money go on things like operating a help line or web site? What percentage of overall revenue do the salaries account for?

The majority of MND Scotland's funds goes on care services.

http://www.mndscotland.org.uk/about/income-and-expenditure/
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    A thimble isn't a bucket.

Nor is a wheelie bin or a bath or any other container, but they are all being used.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor is a wheelie bin or a bath or any other container, but they are all being used.

Then those aren't doing it right either.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if - god forbid - someone uses a pail by mistake?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind other people doing it, but personally I don't like the peer-pressuring aspect to it.

When I give to charity I like to do it on my own terms. With this I feel that my choice in the matter has been taken away. And if I say no to the challenge I'll get a barrage of negative comments because of it. Luckily I haven't been nominated yet, though I have asked two people who were going to nominate me not to do so, and explained my reasons why I didn't want them to.

I don't feel this way because I hate charity or don't care about people with Motor Neurone Disease. The huge amount of money that's been raised is a brilliant thing, and I don't begrudge that for one second. I just don't think that the ends necessarily justify the means. I don't think it's just a bit of harmless fun as many people like to portray it as. There's an uncomfortable feeling of emotional blackmail to it all which makes me heavily reluctant to cough up. Charity, for me, is about volunteering my time and/or money for a cause I feel is worthy. With this, it's not about actively choosing to donate, it's about peer-pressuring friends and acquaintances into doing it, thereby removing personal choice from the matter. Personally, I don't like that as a means of raising money for a charity.

As I said, I don't mind other people doing it. And the fact that millions have been raised for a worthy cause in such a short space of time is absolutely fantastic. Moreover, I'm not a lazy sod who doesn't do his bit at all (I volunteer in a charity shop a few days a week and regularly donate to a number of local charities). I just feel that this method of donating conflicts with my personal beliefs and ethics. I hate peer-pressure and emotional blackmail with a passion. And I felt exactly the same way about NekNominate and the No Make-Up Selfie thing too, so I've got to be consistent I guess. That's my two cents anyway. :)
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh bugger it, I better go ask for my money back.

I didn't actually do mine with a bucket or indeed any water. :blush:

It involves and people try and make their own challenge better and funnier than the one they were nominated on.