Help with aerial connecter

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
I've recently moved into a new flat with communal aerial. There are plates in the living room and bedroom. The living room TV was connected by the company the local council employed to fit the aerial system.
I am now trying to connect my bedroom TV to the plate, I tried my cable from my previous house & it didn't fit. I bought a TV extension kit & the connecter didn't fit. So I got a connecter from eBay & that doesn't fit. I know it's a female one & comparing it to the living room one, the ones I've bought seem to be slightly bigger in circumference.
Can anyone tell me exactly need to get please. The aerial company refuse to help unless I pay them.
I have a pic of the plate but no idea how to post it.

I should probably add, the TV socket on the plate has a greyish connecter plugged into it. Next to it is the radio socket which my female connecter does fit.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't post pictures directly into DS. You have to post it to some image hosting site then post a link to it.

A standard TV aerial connector is known as a "Belling Lee" or "Coaxial" type. This is just a simple push fit connector. A socket on a wall plate is also likely to be fully recessed into the plate.

Another common form of connector is the F Type. This is more usually found on satellite receivers but can be used for terrestrial TV and radio as well. It has a screw thread on the outside of the socket and would stand proud of the wall plate. Something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Faceplate-SkyHD-Satellite-Outlets/dp/B003OST2HC/

If it is an F-Type connector than you need to buy a cable with F-Type plug one end and a "Belling Lee" type plug the other. For example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RG59-Type-Satellite-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B0035FCQHM/

But obviously if you can post the picture it would help confirm this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. That's all double Dutch to me though. I'm normally ok at connecting aerials, Sky boxes & all that kind of stuff. I know that the connecter is attached onto the coax wire then plugged into the plate but like I said, the ones I have bought are just slightly too big, I thought they were all just standard size.
    Here is the plate.
    http://public.fotki.com/Karen68/stuff/20140829-103855-1-1.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. That's all double Dutch to me though. I'm normally ok at connecting aerials, Sky boxes & all that kind of stuff. I know that the connecter is attached onto the coax wire then plugged into the plate but like I said, the ones I have bought are just slightly too big, I thought they were all just standard size.
    Here is the plate.
    http://public.fotki.com/Karen68/stuff/20140829-103855-1-1.html

Not the best photo :)

Is there something stuck in the TV socket? Perhaps the remains of a broken plug. It should be identical to the Radio socket. Either that or it's broken and the guts have pulled out part of the way and the outer ring closed up a bit.

But something not right there. If you have a pair of pliers try giving the outer ring of the bit that looks to be projecting out of the TV socket a gentle tug and see if it comes away and leaves behind something more closely resembling the Radio socket.

If it is a broken bit of plug then hopefully the socket hasn't suffered. If however it is the socket that is broken then that means a replacement wall plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Not the best photo :)

Is there something stuck in the TV socket? Perhaps the remains of a broken plug. It should be identical to the Radio socket. Either that or it's broken and the guts have pulled out part of the way and the outer ring closed up a bit.

But something not right there. If you have a pair of pliers try giving the outer ring of the bit that looks to be projecting out of the TV socket a gentle tug and see if it comes away and leaves behind something more closely resembling the Radio socket.

If it is a broken bit of plug then hopefully the socket hasn't suffered. If however it is the socket that is broken then that means a replacement wall plate.

See this is why this one has thrown me, because I know it should be the same as the radio socket. I've always connected my own TV, even other people's, this one has just got me. It's a brand new flat, so brand new plate. There is something I the TV socket, it's like a grey connecter, I've tried to take it out by hand but it wouldn't come & I'm a bit scared to tank is out incase I break the plate. I'm not sure why it's there cos I thought a cable would just plug in where that's plugged in.
    The living room one is the same, not a great pic but here's that one. The 2 protruding ones on the top are the Sky sockets.

http://public.fotki.com/Karen68/stuff/20140829-130725-3-1.html
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the side view is difficult to make out but looks like one of two satellite sockets (for sky plus). there seems to also be a tv socket just below for freeview. a standard communal antenna with typical wallplate.

there are 2 different plug/socket types. push in belling lee for freeview and screw in f type for satellite. both have only 1 size.

you should be able to use a double ended push fit plugs cable for freeview on that socket into tv aerial connection. if it doesnt fit then something is wrong. examine all bits carefully. check for anything bent out of true shape or just broken. when you have found that, note that all these plugs sockets wallplates etc replacements are easily available .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See this is why this one has thrown me, because I know it should be the same as the radio socket. I've always connected my own TV, even other people's, this one has just got me. It's a brand new flat, so brand new plate. There is something I the TV socket, it's like a grey connecter, I've tried to take it out by hand but it wouldn't come & I'm a bit scared to tank is out incase I break the plate. I'm not sure why it's there cos I thought a cable would just plug in where that's plugged in.
    The living room one is the same, not a great pic but here's that one. The 2 protruding ones on the top are the Sky sockets.

http://public.fotki.com/Karen68/stuff/20140829-130725-3-1.html

I'm wondering if what is plugged into the socket is what is sometimes referred to as a 'gender changer"? This is an adapter that converts a male socket to female or female to male.

That is what the living room photo looks like. So I wonder if the TV socket is actually a male socket not a female like the radio socket? And whoever put it in has plugged a gender changer adapter into it to convert it to a female socket to take the aerial plug?

In that case it is possible that the one in the bedroom has been squeezed a bit so can't take the plug on the TV lead. I've certainly seen that before. It should come out if you are careful and you might find you can open out the outer ring a little to allow the TV lead to plug in. It might even be possible to open it out with it still in the wall plate.

If you notice there is a gap in the outer ring at the top. If you are careful you could gently prise the gap a bit wider with a screwdriver or pliers. But be careful and don't open it up too far. Just enough to get the TV lead plug in snugly. Too loose and the plug won't make a reliable connection and could even fall out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the side view is difficult to make out but looks like one of two satellite sockets (for sky plus). there seems to also be a tv socket just below for freeview. a standard communal antenna with typical wallplate.

there are 2 different plug/socket types. push in belling lee for freeview and screw in f type for satellite. both have only 1 size.

you should be able to use a double ended push fit plugs cable for freeview on that socket into tv aerial connection. if it doesnt fit then something is wrong. examine all bits carefully. check for anything bent out of true shape or just broken. when you have found that, note that all these plugs sockets wallplates etc replacements are easily available .....

The side view one is the living room one that is all set up. The one I am trying to connect is the bedroom.
    Both plates are identical. 2 satellite connections on the top. TV & radio on the bottom.
    I thought all the silver connecter were ask the same size but apparently not. I have compared the ones I have bought to the one supplied by the aerial company, and mine are bigger although I assumed they were standard size & they do fit in the radio socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The side view one is the living room one that is all set up. The one I am trying to connect is the bedroom.
    Both plates are identical. 2 satellite connections on the top. TV & radio on the bottom.
    I thought all the silver connecter were ask the same size but apparently not. I have compared the ones I have bought to the one supplied by the aerial company, and mine are bigger although I assumed they were standard size & they do fit in the radio socket.

Belling Lee type connectors are a standard size. So as i posted above chances are the "gender changer" in the TV socket has closed up so preventing you plugging the lead in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belling Lee type connectors are a standard size. So as i posted above chances are the "gender changer" in the TV socket has closed up so preventing you plugging the lead in.

Thanks again, I'll maybe try what you've said. I find it absolutely ridiculous that the aerial company want to charge me when they only did the job a couple of months ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you should be able to use a double ended push fit plugs cable for freeview on that socket into tv aerial connection. if it doesnt fit then something is wrong. examine all bits carefully. check for anything bent out of true shape or just broken. when you have found that, note that all these plugs sockets wallplates etc replacements are easily available .....[/QUOTE

both satellite sockets are f type.

radio and tv socket are both belling lee.

only 1 size in each type so this very puzzling indeed !

if you have an aerial lead with push fit plugs both ends, try both plugs in the tv socket. and the radio socket. you may also have more leads with other push fit plugs. they should all be exactly the same size. if none of them fits the tv socket on bedroom wallplate this suggests the wallplate needs replacing. although how the socket got bent out of shape is a bit puzzling .... .... you could also try lubricating plug and socket with wd40 then pushing hard since a direct dc connection is not required for receiving terrestrial tv (although it is for satellite) and just a capacitive coupling is fine .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look closely at the problem "tv" socket. has the little hollow cylinder in the midlde been bent to one side so it is no longer in the middle ? then try some small pliers ..... very gently .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    look closely at the problem "tv" socket. has the little hollow cylinder in the midlde been bent to one side so it is no longer in the middle ? then try some small pliers ..... very gently .....

Thank you. I'll have a closer look over the weekend although as I said, all the connecter fit in the radio socket but not the TV. The connecter in the living room which was supplied by the company, fits the bedroom. All very confusing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at worst if socket totally buggered then u can get a new wallplate. note that, there are 2 cable inputs. one for sat1/tv/radio, the other for sat2. but if u have to remove the wallplatte then u will be able to see that ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as also suggested above ..... it may simply be that a double male adaptor has been left in the tv socket ..... just pull it out ...... this does sound like the simplest explanation.

the belling lee "male" plug has a solid pin in the centre.

the corresponding "female" socket has a hollow cylinder at the centre, the plug pin push fits into the hole in socket cylinder.

it there is a screw thread then it is an f conneector, the other sort !

if your wallplate tv socket is the wrong sort, adaptors are avalable .....

i think this is the problem. it is highly unlikely the wallplate has been damged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as also suggested above ..... it may simply be that a double female adaptor has been left in the tv socket ..... just pull it out ...... this does sound like the simplest explanation !

Which would leave a male socket behind. Not much use for a male plug on the end of the lead :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ho hum ...... some cheaper belling lee plugs have a hollow pin ..... oh dear ......

1. the female socket always has a groove in it running along the cylinder. so that the cylinder can "give way a bit" when the plug pin pushes into it .......

2. the socket cylinder is noticably larger diameter than the plug pin (since the pin pushes inside the cylinder) ......

pictures probably a good idea. look up "belling lee tv aerial connector" ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I'll have a closer look over the weekend although as I said, all the connecter fit in the radio socket but not the TV. The connecter in the living room which was supplied by the company, fits the bedroom. All very confusing.

So have you tried the bedroom lead in the living room TV socket? Does it fit or is it the same as the bedroom?

And if you plug the living room TV lead into the radio socket is it as tight a fit as the TV socket or does it feel loose? If it is a standard Belling Lee type plug then it should be the same in either socket. But if the TV plug is slightly smaller it will be a bit loose in the radio socket.

Another test would be to reverse the living room lead. ie unplug both ends and try plugging the end currently in the TV into the wall plate and vice versa. If the plugs are the same it should just work. If not the "TV" end won't fit the wall plate.

And compare the plugs to see if the living room lead wall plate end plug is slightly smaller in diameter than the TV end and the plugs on the bedroom lead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So have you tried the bedroom lead in the living room TV socket? Does it fit or is it the same as the bedroom?

And if you plug the living room TV lead into the radio socket is it as tight a fit as the TV socket or does it feel loose? If it is a standard Belling Lee type plug then it should be the same in either socket. But if the TV plug is slightly smaller it will be a bit loose in the radio socket.

Another test would be to reverse the living room lead. ie unplug both ends and try plugging the end currently in the TV into the wall plate and vice versa. If the plugs are the same it should just work. If not the "TV" end won't fit the wall plate.

And compare the plugs to see if the living room lead wall plate end plug is slightly smaller in diameter than the TV end and the plugs on the bedroom lead.

Actually haven't tried the bedroom in the living room. Off to work now, will try that tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The belling lee push connector has 1 size but 2 types. Male and female. If it isnt one then must be the other.

Both available from hardware stores inc argos maplin etc....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broken wallplate unlikely but all types are available
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that wall plate has a male connector on the TV side that someone has got at with a pair of pliers trying to get a plug into it. Male connectors on the TV side are a standard (as on the back of VCRs and Freeview boxes) that is not always followed in the UK.

So you need a pair of pliers to undo the damage and a male to female flylead (as often supplied with VCRs).

I suspect you are right about the socket on the wall plate being a male. But I think what is pushed into the socket is a female to female back to back plug to convert it to a female socket. I have known some of these "gender changer" plugs be somewhat of a tight fit, which could explain why the OP is having problems with it.

Mind you it might help if the photos were a bit clearer and showed the plate in more detail. )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that wall plate has a male connector on the TV side that someone has got at with a pair of pliers trying to get a plug into it. Male connectors on the TV side are a standard (as on the back of VCRs and Freeview boxes) that is not always followed in the UK.

So you need a pair of pliers to undo the damage and a male to female flylead (as often supplied with VCRs).

No one has caused any damage to the plate. It's a new plate in a brand new flat, I'm the first person in it. What is pushed into it, is some sort of grey plastic connecter, I dnt know the names of them but this was put in by the aerial company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect you are right about the socket on the wall plate being a male. But I think what is pushed into the socket is a female to female back to back plug to convert it to a female socket. I have known some of these "gender changer" plugs be somewhat of a tight fit, which could explain why the OP is having problems with it.

Mind you it might help if the photos were a bit clearer and showed the plate in more detail. )

I know, crap phone, will read all this over the weekend & try to get better pictures wheniI have more time. Thanks all :-)
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has caused any damage to the plate. It's a new plate in a brand new flat, I'm the first person in it. What is pushed into it, is some sort of grey plastic connecter, I dnt know the names of them but this was put in by the aerial company.
    You would probably be best off contacting that company and asking them to explain what it is that they have installed.