Options

'Dumping' a driving instructor

thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I could do with some tips/advice as I'm thinking about switching driving instructors. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Q1) Should I do it?

I'm onto my sixth lesson, and although I am progressing well, I don't feel like I'm getting enough for my £20/hour. My instructor gives some ambiguous instructions (sometimes mumbled), which lead to me making mistakes which I feel I wouldn't make if he were clearer. Also, there are a couple of things he hasn't instructed me on at all but is telling me off for getting wrong (I made it clear at the start that I was a complete noob). I brought this up with him at the end of last week, and his response was far from satisfactory ('I don't want to be giving you instructions all the time... You'll just depend on the instructions and not KNOW what to do' - all fair if he'd actually given the instructions in the first place!)

There's a couple of other things, like he was taking calls in a lesson, and I just feel like I'm not getting the value out of him that I should. Some of these things are for me to ask and state a preference, but surely every new driver should be told how to brake rather than work it out for themselves!

2) How should I do it?

If he doesn't improve this week, should I give it another week or ditch him straight away? And how should I do it! Being a coward in this regard, I'm tempted to just text - after all, I feel under no obligation to him, and don't feel he'd be upset by it, but would this be out of line? ALso, he's with an agency, who I have no problems with (RED), so would it be possible to rearrange it through them?

Like I say, I'm new to this so any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I texted mine as my Dad thought she was taking the piss (20 lessons and no maneuvers!)

If you're not happy with the service they provide (which you pay for) advise them and find another one.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've already brought the subject up with him, and he hasn't responded, so I would say call it a day and move on to a different instructor, preferably one chosen on the basis of personal recommendation. Just ring and say you've decided to terminate your lessons with him, as you don't feel that his style of teaching is suitable for you. Good luck!:)
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    I ditched my driving instructor, my mum and dad had paid for 5 or 6 lessons up front and I was going to be paying for ones after that. I was getting increasingly frustrated and annoyed with him so after the last lesson I just said I didn't know when I could do another lesson and never bothered to call to make another one. Nothing ever came of it. He was a mumbler too, couldn't understand half the things he was saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    You've already brought the subject up with him, and he hasn't responded, so I would say call it a day and move on to a different instructor, preferably one chosen on the basis of personal recommendation. Just ring and say you've decided to terminate your lessons with him, as you don't feel that his style of teaching is suitable for you. Good luck!:)

To be fair, he hasn't yet had a full opportunity to respond as I only told him at the end of the last lesson that he wasn't being clear enough (after a couple of errors where his confusing instructions overrode my instincts!)

I'm partly gobsmacked by some of the things he seems to just expect me to know though! Another example - in my last lesson we pulled straight out into slow moving uphill traffic and my clutch control was shoddy. But then I'd only done traffic clutch control on the flat before, and he told me what I did wrong at the end of the lesson - but why not during! I had plenty of hill to learn then, but he barely said anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just don't book with him again and find someone else
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's basically ok to just let lessons lapse then? I've not block booked any sessions or anything?

Much thanks for the advice so far :), but if there are any driving instructors out there, it'd be handy to know your opinions on the matter!
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ditched my too. He was sleazy. Used to make me drive down country lanes and park up so he could have a cigar :confused:

Thinking back I should have reported the pervert.
  • Options
    Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditch him, when I took lessons a good 7-8 years ago my first 2 instructors were late to pretty much every lesson and then during lessons they'd mumble instructions and 40% keep on trying to turn the steering wheel for me and put their foot on the clutch for me on the dual controls when there was no need for them to do so and I had everything in control.

Thankfully my last instructor was a diamond, believe me they won't change if you stick with them, ditch him and ditch him ASAP.

Call the company direct and just say you would like a new instructor and that explain to them why you want a new one, you'll actually be doing a lot of good as Red should then to kick this guy's arse into gear (pun intended) for future learners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's basically ok to just let lessons lapse then? I've not block booked any sessions or anything?

Much thanks for the advice so far :), but if there are any driving instructors out there, it'd be handy to know your opinions on the matter!

don't see why not, you don't have a contract with them or have any obligations to keep with that instructor. Can you ask any of your friends or family to recommend someone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancel the next lesson and don't make anymore. Waste no more time. I went with the AA and it was the best thing I ever did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    don't see why not, you don't have a contract with them or have any obligations to keep with that instructor. Can you ask any of your friends or family to recommend someone?

Unluckily not really, as I'm in a new city, and my friends live miles away from where I'm learning to drive.

It's a shame because I made great progress in my first few lessons, and I didn't mind the fact that I had to ask for different instructions (everyone's different after all :)). His attitude stunk though, and I shouldn't have to ask to be taught some basic stuff :/
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    If you're embarrased, maybe tell him you've been bought some lessons with (AN Other) as a birthday present (for e.g.).
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to feel confident in your instructor, so you need have no qualms about changing to a new one. I went through most of the instructors in Cornwall when I was learning.:o
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I just told my former driving instructor that I didn't feel I was progressing much and told him I wasn't going to have anymore lessons with him as I had found someone else who was cheaper and more flexible.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I ditched my too. He was sleazy. Used to make me drive down country lanes and park up so he could have a cigar :confused:

What's perverted about smoking a cigar? Or is that some kind of euphemism?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a couple of other things, like he was taking calls in a lesson
    If he was taking phone calls while on a lesson then not only is that disrespectful to you but may even be illegal!

The advice in this page

http://www.helpingldrivers.com/law/supervisor.htm

says that anyone supervising a learner driver is subject to the same laws as if they were driving. Including the law on mobile phones. So if that applies to any Tom Dick or Harry sat in the passenger seat I wonder if it also applies to a professional instructor?
  • Options
    littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took some lessons recently, but after a few, decided it just wasnt for me at the moment and not sure that the instructor was for me either..She kept texting during lessons, and I'd mentioned problems I was having but she didnt really address them or try to help me out.

At the end of the lesson, I just said that I was pretty busy the following week and I'd be in contact with her...I few days later I just texted her something along the lines of; "Hi, just to let you know I've decided not to continue with the lessons for the time being, I've quite a bit on at the moment. Thanks for you time and patience."
  • Options
    SilkieSilkie Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    thefairydandy ~ sounds like you really are not comfortable with your instructor, so just stop having lessons with him. It is as simple as that. You don't owe him any explanation as to why you're not going to be continuing.

He is running a business providing a service, same as any other business. Would you feel obliged to continue giving e.g. the same plumber or car mechanic your business if you were not satisfied with their services? Or feel you had to explain why if you were dropping them?

Driving Instructors are well used to customers coming and going. The most usual reason is that people can't afford to continue with the lessons at that time.

I had 3 different instructors before I found one I was happy with. The first two turned out to be useless :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm on my 4th instructor (first one dumped me, i dupmed the 2nd, third got another job and now i've been with the fourth since before christmas :p) when i dumped the fourth i think he knew that i didn't want anymore lesons with him when i kept on crying during lessons :o i just told him i didn't think that i'd want aymore lessons with him and he didn't care.

ETA: 20/perhour seems extremely cheep to me, all mine have been about 28/29
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I 'dumped' my instructor too. He was a horrible man and used to shout, sigh, huff and puff whenever I made a mistake. It really shook my confidence which meant I would in turn make more mistakes. I really wished I'd changed sooner as I wasted so much money trying to "persevere" and "be polite". :rolleyes:

In the end I'd really had enough, and after he made me cry one lesson (not the best look for an 18 year old boy well into uni :o) I just told him I didn't know when I was free next and didn't bother to arrange another lesson - exactly the same as someone else in this thread did. I think driving instructors know what it really means when a students says that to them. I'm sure it's happened to them plenty of times in the past (especially if they're awful).

I'd recommend anyone who has doubts about their instructor to change sooner rather than later. I stuck with mine for about a year longer than I needed to and got nowhere. When I changed, I got my confidence back and passed after five months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest was he taking personal calls or calls from other students about lessons? I would feel inclined to tell the agency you would prefer another instructor and give them honest feedback about why. I can't see if will be a problem as they will be glad you gave them feedback rather than taking your custom elsewhere.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's perverted about smoking a cigar? Or is that some kind of euphemism?

:D

The guy was a sleaze believe me. The nickname he gave me was just inappropriate for a man of 50+ when I was a 17 year old kid. He also used to get me to drive to country pubs and try and get me to have a drink!!! Just wrong in every way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a driving instructor who left to become a vicar. All the revving and praying obviously came in handy! :D
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »

Howe does parking up and smoking a cigar make him a pervert :confused:
  • Options
    chupchupchupchup Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Dear thefairydandy, OMG I had a similar situation. I got my brother to lie for me. That I had gone abroad for a few months. The very next day he saw me at the shops. I wanted to cry :cry: