Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    It seems to me that the trouble started at the end of S5, which was virtually all posted on YouTube. Buffalo Productions apparently contracted with Digital Rights Group (DRG) for all the digital rights to their show, and that group went directly after the parts of the actual series that were posted on YouTube, as being in violation of their copyright. In that big cleanup, apparently some of the fan videos got swept up too, apparently those that DRG considered violated "fair use." This will probably mean that U.S. fans will not be able to watch S6 as it is shown in the UK, at least not on YouTube.

Okay, how are we US fans going to watch S6 of DM somewhat contemporaneously? It's not acceptable to hear bits and pieces (or more) from our UK cousins, then have to wait for nine months or more to get the videos or have PBS air the show. I would gladly pay for some way to view DM if there was access. Is there an alternative to YouTube? I remember the story MC has told on several occasions about being approached by an old man who said something to the effect, "Just marry that girl before I die!" Waiting until mid-2014 feels like that for me. :confused:
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    The Jeff Rawle transvestite was in William & Mary :D. He also played the character Neville in Neville's Island with MC.

I also recently saw Ian McNeice again playing Churchill in Doctor Who. He has played that role in several episodes and is very good. I am so used to seeing him play such a silly role in DM and was quite impressed.

Jeff Rawle also plays the father in "Philippa" which is shown on YT, and Ian McNeice was in "84 Charing Cross Road", an excellent movie.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    Jeff Rawle also plays the father in "Philippa" which is shown on YT, and Ian McNeice was in "84 Charing Cross Road", an excellent movie.

Beg to differ, Eileen. Actor David Haig (Mr. Strain from DM) is the father in "Philippa".

And yes, I, too, love spotting an actor from DM in other things (the MC web grows!). Just yesterday finally got me hands on "Demob" (1993 TV series) and just about fell off my sofa when Dick Dobson's (MC) dad faced the camera and it turned out to be actor John Woodvine (DM's dad). So he has now played MC's dad in at least 2 different series and about 20 years apart. Fun!!

BTW, I didn't expect to enjoy "Demob" due to the short summary I'd read, but thoroughly enjoyed it. On the package it was described as a dramedy also, like DM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just had to admit to my dh (darling husband) that I am getting up at 6am on Sunday morning (our only sleep in morning) to do a conference call to talk about DM. He thinks I have completely lost it especially since we just watched s 5 ep 4 (mother knows best -fun run and Elinor's arrival) and he says "it's not even funny anymore". Totally unbiased opinion. Although I have to admit he did laugh out loud a couple of times.

I am organised for the call but have a sprained wrist (so painful I can't believe it's not broken), i have bites from sn unknown source all over me - from gardening?? and I am trying to give up choc and choc chip cookies (for health reasons not for weight reasons) so I am not a happy little vegemite. Am hoping a good nights sleep will help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Btw DM says sorry again in s5 e4. He's talking to LG, his phone rings, he says sorry and takes the call. Very rare but that's twice to LG!
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jeff Rawle transvestite was in William & Mary :D. He also played the character Neville in Neville's Island with MC.

I also recently saw Ian McNeice again playing Churchill in Doctor Who. He has played that role in several episodes and is very good. I am so used to seeing him play such a silly role in DM and was quite impressed.

Ian McNeice was the "town crier" in the HBO series "Rome" -- which was violent, sexy, historically accurate, and apparently extremely expensive to produce as it ended after only two seasons.

I am watching Kingdom, with Stephen Fry and Celia Imrie (in the very first episode of DM as the major's wife) has a continuing role as the secretary to the law practice. Also, I could swear that the police officer in Season two, Inspector Yellen, is Eddie Brix -- he who gets hoist on his own petard, so to speak, in sex-play. Hermione Norris, of Mother's Son and MI-5, or Spooks, is also in Kingdom.

I imagine that the circle of accomplished English character actors must be very tight, and they must all know each other and work together with some frequency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, how are we US fans going to watch S6 of DM somewhat contemporaneously? It's not acceptable to hear bits and pieces (or more) from our UK cousins, then have to wait for nine months or more to get the videos or have PBS air the show. I would gladly pay for some way to view DM if there was access. Is there an alternative to YouTube? I remember the story MC has told on several occasions about being approached by an old man who said something to the effect, "Just marry that girl before I die!" Waiting until mid-2014 feels like that for me. :confused:

I think the DVD will be produced before the series runs in the U.S., if that's any consolation. (But you'll need a DVD player that can play Region 2 DVDs). Some people have had success with VPN's (virtual private networks (?) ) which assign an ISP that allows you to watch contemporaneously. But others have not and in fact swear that they mess up their computer. I think these VPNs are in kind of a gray legal area, but I haven't looked too closely into that aspect of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    This may at least be partially correct. However, I think that Acorn in the US was the real factor in taking down the Doc Martin videos. There was someone from Acorn that started commenting on at least a couple of DM Series 5 vids shortly before the the purging started. I know that DRG also handles the MC documentaries and none of those have been taken down. The exception has been parts of A Man and His Dogs and that is not DRG. The Smithsonian Channel has claimed the rights to that doc in the US. I had to remove a 30 second clip included in one of the Paul O Grady interviews because of SC's claim.

I think BP sold the rights to DRG and then they sold the US rights to Acorn for online/streaming privileges. The paid premium Acorn TV service was something new and they didn't want to lose revenue to the YouTube vids. I know that Netflix has had to renew their streaming rights for DM a few times - Hulu also must have to deal with them also.

It's a shame that some of the music vids are gone. I remember that MC had mentioned that he watched some of them. By all accounts, he had no issue with those.

http://acornonline.com/acorn-landing.aspx?a=premium-acorntv-tv

Yes, I do think that Acorn played a big role in this. But I distinctly remember when the DM series YouTubes were taken down, seeing a reference to DRG as the reason, because I tried to look up DRG at that point. Also, at that point, the U.S. Congress was about to consider, or maybe was holding hearings on, a fairly draconian proposal to prosecute providers like YouTube who hosted such videos, and I think that had something to with the wholesale deletion of the series.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching Kingdom, with Stephen Fry and Celia Imrie (in the very first episode of DM as the major's wife) has a continuing role as the secretary to the law practice.

I think I have mentioned this before, but I was really surprised watching the first episode to spot two actresses who looked familiar and finally realized they were both from Bridget Jones' Diary. Celia Imrie played Bridget's mother's friend Una and Felicity Montagu (Caroline in DM) played Perpetua, Bridget's co-worker and nemesis. Couldn't believe seeing them both in the first episode I watched.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do think that Acorn played a big role in this. But I distinctly remember when the DM series YouTubes were taken down, seeing a reference to DRG as the reason, because I tried to look up DRG at that point. Also, at that point, the U.S. Congress was about to consider, or maybe was holding hearings on, a fairly draconian proposal to prosecute providers like YouTube who hosted such videos, and I think that had something to with the wholesale deletion of the series.

Something I have never understood is how so many fan videos survive on YouTube. Not that I am complaining because I enjoy watching them - I used to watch a lot of the Jim & Pam videos from The Office. When my sister's beloved lab died suddenly a few years ago, she put together a slide show of pictures of Lucky and used a pop song (and not a big hit one or one by a big star) to accompany it. She just made it for family & friends to see. But a couple of days later it was taken down and she was told she couldn't use the copyrighted music. I've never understood that because there are thousands of that type video that have been up for years - and a ton of them using scenes from television shows and movies. What's the deal???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I have never understood is how so many fan videos survive on YouTube. Not that I am complaining because I enjoy watching them - I used to watch a lot of the Jim & Pam videos from The Office. When my sister's beloved lab died suddenly a few years ago, she put together a slide show of pictures of Lucky and used a pop song (and not a big hit one or one by a big star) to accompany it. She just made it for family & friends to see. But a couple of days later it was taken down and she was told she couldn't use the copyrighted music. I've never understood that because there are thousands of that type video that have been up for years - and a ton of them using scenes from television shows and movies. What's the deal???

With music it depends on the record company. Some of them police YT and insist on stuff being taken down, others don't.
    I understand why companies ask for complete episodes to be taken down but fan vids are bascially free adverts for the show, which is why most companies leave them alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The skype conference call went really well. :):) Had so much fun. :D Hope to catch up with a few more of you soon.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    The skype conference call went really well. :):) Had so much fun. :D Hope to catch up with a few more of you soon.:)

Glad to hear that technology triumphed. The late Arthur C. Clarke, author and inventor of the communication satellite, said that such links would create "a global village." He was right but be probably did not imagine to what ends it would suceed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Glad to hear that technology triumphed. The late Arthur C. Clarke, author and inventor of the communication satellite, said that such links would create "a global village." He was right but be probably did not imagine to what ends it would suceed.

A global "Doc Martin" village! :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great, great call today. I thought we might be flying too close to the sun, but we DID it! Among those on the call were some of us regulars on the Forum, including Madmother, UmbrellaGirl, DCdmfan, cc.Cookie, ReneeBird, Biffpup, NewPark, and ShopGirl - stretching all the way from Australia to England. Among the topics: how we got hooked on Doc Martin, who's going to Port Isaac next year and how to navigate it, writing fan fiction, what happened to series 5, and recounting our personal efforts to proselytize. We talked for a little over an hour - and I came away just as impressed with everyone as I was before. What a wonderful group of people you are: intelligent, incisive, unabashed fans who are both fun and FUNNY! Truly amazing time. Special thanks to Madmother and DCdmfan for their invaluable help. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, great call today. I thought we might be flying too close to the sun, but we DID it! Among those on the call were some of us regulars on the Forum, including Madmother, UmbrellaGirl, DCdmfan, cc.Cookie, ReneeBird, Biffpup, NewPark, and ShopGirl - stretching all the way from Australia to England. Among the topics: how we got hooked on Doc Martin, who's going to Port Isaac next year and how to navigate it, writing fan fiction, what happened to series 5, and recounting our personal efforts to proselytize. We talked for a little over an hour - and I came away just as impressed with everyone as I was before. What a wonderful group of people you are: intelligent, incisive, unabashed fans who are both fun and FUNNY! Truly amazing time. Special thanks to Madmother and DCdmfan for their invaluable help. :)

It was wonderful being able to put a voice and personality and, in some cases, a photo with the screen names we've become so familiar with. Yes, you are entertaining and likeable and FUNNY people. Thanks so much for organizing this. I'm looking forward to the next call.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to hand it to you statesidefan, you did a great job having everyone take turns at the beginning. That really set the tone for a smooth Skype call. Thank-you for organizing this, it was a lot of fun! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're welcome. :):)
    Thank you for organising it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for organising a great call. My Internet is very slow (faster than dial up but not much) I got kicked off around about the GPS discussion and couldn't manage to rejoin. Amazing technology it was fun to participate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Hi, I nomally just read the forum every now and again to see whats going on in Doc Martin world but I saw some of you were worried about not being able to watch in the US.

I like to watch Greys Anatomy before its on in England and as I don't have the channel its shown on either!
    I use a program called hotspot shield, which means that my ip address isn't shown so I can go on the abc website to catch up on episodes :) So you could use this to watch via itv player.

Also the website tvcatchup.com lets you watch british tv live, not sure if you have to be in England but could use hotspot shield if so to watch live.

Had no problems with the program just has some ads as its the free version! http://www.hotspotshield.com/en

Hope this helps! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Also could be worth checking this site: http://www.1channel.ch/watch-9907-Doc-Martin as all the episodes are there, so somebody may upload them shortly after being aired in the UK. :)

Putlocker or sockshare links are usually the best quality, use this site a lot for american tv :P
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry I missed it and glad it went so well! I look forward to "meeting" many others on this Forum on another Skype call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody mentioned yesterday how "charismatic" Martin Clunes is in person -- something that Ben Bolt has also remarked on. I certainly can agree to that, but I got to wondering what exactly charisma is, other than that you know it when you see it.

So, here's something from Google that seems to help -- I think it does describe MC pretty well.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201002/charisma-what-is-it-do-you-have-it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody mentioned yesterday how "charismatic" Martin Clunes is in person -- something that Ben Bolt has also remarked on. I certainly can agree to that, but I got to wondering what exactly charisma is, other than that you know it when you see it.

So, here's something from Google that seems to help -- I think it does describe MC pretty well.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201002/charisma-what-is-it-do-you-have-it

I think you either have it or you don't. But I guess there are some who could cultivate it. What do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the last month or so, someone (ConnieJ?) posted a link to an interview with MC, which I guess was part of the Town promos.

In one part of it he talked about people getting married and splitting "left right and center" and having children "left right and center" -- "poor things."

Does anyone remember this link? I"m wondering if it was in the Nuneaton paper, which link I cannot now get to open.
This discussion has been closed.