Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Not many questions on tha acorn docmartinfan.com website to ask the cast/crew. Is that because no one thinks the serious questions won't get asked?

Is there anything we want to ask?
    I think we've worked through LGs out of character character in s5 haven't we?
    Someone's already mentioned the progressively overly gruff DM.

I think the Acorn fan site is piggy-backing on the American Public Television request for questions -- that is, whatever you submit to Acorn will go to ATP; this isn't an independent opportunity to ask q's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think the Acorn fan site is piggy-backing on the American Public Television request for questions -- that is, whatever you submit to Acorn will go to ATP; this isn't an independent opportunity to ask q's.

Thanks NewPark I didn't know that. The American Public TV page says questions closed ages ago!
    Acorn does not maintain its own site.

I wonder if they will ask any viewer questions this year? Last year they stuck to a very repetitive script of inane question and answers. It seemed choreographed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good rewatching all the DM series. Seems like a long time to go before the show starts. I am trying not to build it up too much so I am not too disappointed. A fine line between madness and sanity. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainment/television/chief-of-staff-interview-with-mr-selfridges-tom-goodman-hill/

I've enjoyed watching Mr Selfridge on PBS which features TGH - Bert's rival restaurant owner Mark in S5. In this interview he briefly mentions DM.

But what did you think of Isobel the bridesmaid - Miss Mardle in this series. Nearly unrecognizeable. But I have liked watching her character develop. While "Mark" on the other hand has devolved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    The Lady Vanishes

I just saw that here in my neck of the woods - Ohio, USA, The Lady Vanishes with Selina Cadell will run on PBS in mid August. It says it ran in Britain in March.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    But what did you think of Isobel the bridesmaid - Miss Mardle in this series. Nearly unrecognizeable. But I have liked watching her character develop. While "Mark" on the other hand has devolved.

Good catch dmbesotted! I thought she looked familiar, but couldn't place her. The actresses name is Amanda Abbington. Her partner is Martin Freeman. (I'm watching The Hobbit tonight, btw. Hope it's good!) She's only 39 yrs old. Doesn't she look a lot older as Miss Mardle?
    Yes, I don't understand Mark's character Mr. Groves very much. Very frustrating.
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Mr. Grove seems a little smarmy in regard to Miss Mardle. He wants it all!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    It was good rewatching all the DM series. Seems like a long time to go before the show starts. I am trying not to build it up too much so I am not too disappointed. A fine line between madness and sanity. :rolleyes:

Here in Portland, OPB is just about finishing s5 and then is moving DM to Saturday night and starting all over from the beginning on June 15. So I guess I'll be Going Bodmin again.

EEEEK, but counting episodes, if that means they won't air S6 until the end of s1-5, that means waiting into 2014 maybe late March or early April. I hope it isn't so. :(

I was realllllllllllllllllly hoping for it to be early after APT releases it in late 2013. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Here in Portland, OPB is just about finishing s5 and then is moving DM to Saturday night and starting all over from the beginning on June 15. So I guess I'll be Going Bodmin again.

EEEEK, but counting episodes, if that means they won't air S6 until the end of s1-5, that means waiting into 2014 maybe late March or early April. I hope it isn't so. :(

I was realllllllllllllllllly hoping for it to be early after APT releases it in late 2013. :(

I'm in Oregon, USA also and that timeline sounds about right. They did the same lead up for series 5. Of course, there were the occasional leaked episodes on YouTube if you caught it before it disappeared again. I accidentally, downloaded the last episode and lived on that for months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    This is my first time on a forum so please forgive any initial errors! I am absolutely enthralled with Doc Martin (as I see all on this forum are) and wonder if there has been any discussion in the past as to why this particular series is so popular. Ever since I locked on to the show a couple of years ago, I began to ask what it was that made me care so much about Doc Martin and Louisa. Why did I cry every time I saw the ending of that episode when he asks him to marry her, or feel so empty when the marriage didn't happen or feel so overwhelmed when their baby was born? Well, obviously it touched something deep in me from events in my own life--but was there also something more universal? I have come to the conclusion (after doing an art project on fairy tales in connection with my work in mysticism) that Doc Martin is a fairy tale for our time--and a very badly needed one!! Intended or not, the writers have given us something to "keep our sense of wonderment alive and to nurture our hope that we can seize possibilities and opportunities to transform ourselves and our worlds." (Quote from When Dreams Came True by Jack Zipes) In our secular world (at least in the West) I think we are all looking for something that will transform the ordinary into the extraordinary and this strange little series from the UK somehow fulfills this. Do any of you have any thoughts on this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my first time on a forum so please forgive any initial errors! I am absolutely enthralled with Doc Martin (as I see all on this forum are) and wonder if there has been any discussion in the past as to why this particular series is so popular. Ever since I locked on to the show a couple of years ago, I began to ask what it was that made me care so much about Doc Martin and Louisa. Why did I cry every time I saw the ending of that episode when he asks him to marry her, or feel so empty when the marriage didn't happen or feel so overwhelmed when their baby was born? Well, obviously it touched something deep in me from events in my own life--but was there also something more universal? I have come to the conclusion (after doing an art project on fairy tales in connection with my work in mysticism) that Doc Martin is a fairy tale for our time--and a very badly needed one!! Intended or not, the writers have given us something to "keep our sense of wonderment alive and to nurture our hope that we can seize possibilities and opportunities to transform ourselves and our worlds." (Quote from When Dreams Came True by Jack Zipes) In our secular world (at least in the West) I think we are all looking for something that will transform the ordinary into the extraordinary and this strange little series from the UK somehow fulfills this. Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Welcome to the forum ! Good to have you onside !

I am sure you are going to be inundated with replies - we have talked the series and all its characters inside out and back again. All longing for Series 6 - due in the Autumn in the UK - lucky us !

IMHO I believe the success of this series was the fantastic original script and the excellent casting of all characters - not just the main leads but also those that only appear for one episode or so. Many, many familiar faces from UK TV, film and theatre.

We are all intrigued up to the end of Series Five and DESPERATELY hoping for an answer to the ' Will they ? Won't they ? '. Well, they HAVE, of course, we have little JH to prove that point, but we are all looking ( longing... ) for more outward shows of affection from The Doc and, hopefully, a wedding in Series Six.

All this plus the back-drop of the beautiful Port Isaac in Cornwall...couldn't fail, could it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

I think you've phrased a question in a way that we've never really discussed before: what about this "strange little show" resonates so with us.

We do appreciate great acting, and great writing, and beautiful scenery, but all that can be appreciated without actually "hooking" us in the way this series has. I can't tell you how many times that people have written that they cannot believe that they are this enthralled with a series (and also of course, Martin Clunes). I think you've hit on something with the analogy to a fairy tale, and there are many allusions to fairy tales in the script, most notably in the opening scene of Series 3.

I'll have to think about this some more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

I think you've phrased a question in a way that we've never really discussed before: what about this "strange little show" resonates so with us.

We do appreciate great acting, and great writing, and beautiful scenery, but all that can be appreciated without actually "hooking" us in the way this series has. I can't tell you how many times that people have written that they cannot believe that they are this enthralled with a series (and also of course, Martin Clunes). I think you've hit on something with the analogy to a fairy tale, and there are many allusions to fairy tales in the script, most notably in the opening scene of Series 3.

I'll have to think about this some more.

Agree as usual NewPark

Plus the series are short and they keep us hanging about
    ( biting our nails ) for two years for the next series

Hooked ? Who us ? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although the concept, premise and scripts are fantastic, especially in the first two series there is something more to the show that makes it special. This is particularly evident if you watch the French version of the show. The scripts are practically word for word but the show lacks that je ne sais quoi.

It has to be a combination of great premise, excellent scripts, great direction, excellent chemistry between the actors, great acting and fantastic attention to detail.

In the English version we really care about the characters because they aren't perfect looking models (oh, ok, CC is gorgeous but in a wholesome way) and they aren't perfect people. We care about them because they're like us with believable problems, desires, worries and lives.

While the main characters are courageous and successful in some of their endeavours they are not unbelievably so (like House) and they also fail sometimes which is even more believable and we love them and identify with them for it.

Portwenn is a complete little microcosm of the world with smart people, fools, idiots, caring, motherly, fatherly, downtrodden, bullied people who together make a whole village we can identify with.

I think the vulnerability of the writers is allowed to shine through with fantastic direction, photography and editing that doesn't allow it to overflow into pathos. Also each episode has a point to convey in the growth of the main characters with each of the smaller characters having a hand in that growth, so it is as if it is like a huge family.

Not a fictional leave it to beaver family but a family that despite its faults might just pull together and give us hope for a great future for them all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I forgot to say, what is really important to me is that the writers invariably show but don't tell what's going on. This means they treat the viewer like an intelligent person. It also means there are lots of ways any scene can be interpreted which gives rise to discussion and hence, forums like this where other viewers can explain how they saw a certain scene. This adds to the depth and complexity of the show and retains our interest. Well, mine anyway.

The writers & actors do all this subtly too, sometimes just with a look. This isn't so obvious until you watch other shows and they have to explain every little detail to you and you're sitting there grinding your teeth at the TV shouting "I know, I'm not a dummy I picked that up in scene two!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I most appreciate the Doc Martin series for the excellent concept, writing, acting, setting and compelling story line. The tension between Martin and Louisa, whether caused by themselves, or by the Fates conspiring against them, is a modern retelling of every love-lorn set of couples.

Haven't we all stared across a room and been frozen from action by our own insecurities? Martin and Louisa are like each of us at various times in our lives; so vicariously we are living in Portwenn with them. While each has their own endearing qualities they also have emotions and behaviors that can get in the way of 'getting on' much as in the real world.

Meanwhile their neighbors have qualities that enhance the story line and we care about them as well. Portwenn may be quirky, but it is never boring!

All this of course set against the beautiful backdrop of Port Isaac and Cornwall, making me want to visit there some day and of course to think 'on this spot Doc or Louisa did such and such.'

Bravo to the creators, writers, producers, cast, and crew for capturing our hearts so charmingly with this brilliant drama/comedy/romance! And a HUGE tip of the hat to Dominic MInghella with assistance from Edana Minghella for bringing this to us!

my wife would claim (and perhaps rightly so) that I am obsessed with DM. I'd prefer the term 'captured' to describe it! :)

I'll also mention that the many Doc Martin fanfics I have penned have made a writer out of me, so I will always have a very special spot in my heart for this TV show.

If anyone is trying to capture lightning in a bottle by trying to mimic this production they had better understand that the Portwenn magic is deep and also ephemeral. Rarely do things conjoin like in this show to be so damn satisfying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like you have done or intend to do some writing/study about Doc Martin. Am I right?
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good responses from my fellow campers! :D

I think another part of the draw is MC himself. This forum could just as easily be called a Martin Clunes forum as well as a Doc Martin forum. I had never heard of MC before I started watching this show on the recommendation of a friend who was watching it on PBS. Once I had watched all of the episodes on Netflix (and purchased the DVDs), I started seeking out other performances by MC (using IMDB as my guide) and I can now say that he is my favorite actor.

Reading this forum, as well as the Facebook pages and even the comments on YouTube videos involving him, you find a lot of people (mostly women ;)) who have become quite enamoured with him. I think the word I see most often is "adorable" and I have to agree. There is just something about this teddy bear of an actor that I find hard to define. Maybe it is that voice - a lot of us have said that we would listen to him read the phonebook. And it isn't just the American love of a British accent - there is just something about the quality and tone of his voice. And the more we read about his life and the things he stands for, the more we respect him as the antithesis of most of the popular actors in America.

Although a lot of us in America have discovered him in the last few years, he is still not well known here. I think if he (just one time) came over here and made a round of the talk shows (Today Show, GMA, David Letterman, Craig Ferguson), his popularity, and the popularity of the show, would explode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <clipped> tales in connection with my work in mysticism) that Doc Martin is a fairy tale for our time--and a very badly needed one!! Intended or not, the writers have given us something to "keep our sense of wonderment alive and to nurture our hope that we can seize possibilities and opportunities to transform ourselves and our world?

Several times the term fairy tale, or prince, etc is used. The end of Season 5 at the Castle (Doyden Castle) is really obvious and the twisted Romeo and Juliet and Juliet scene is a shining example of this. We've seen the wicked witch (Edith Montgomery, played brilliantly by Lia Williams) and the fair maiden (Louisa Glasson). Mrs. T shouting "NO! This is not how the fairy tale is supposed to end!" should have been a clue that there would be a Season 6.

Did Dominic Minghella see it as fairy tale from the start? I don't think so. I think he saw it as a a broken man trying to get unbroken, not that he necessarily saw it that way.

Now if you'd said Pride and Prejudice I might have agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Several times the term fairy tale, or prince, etc is used. The end of Season 5 at the Castle (Doyden Castle) is really obvious and the twisted Romeo and Juliet and Juliet scene is a shining example of this. We've seen the wicked witch (Edith Montgomery, played brilliantly by Lia Williams) and the fair maiden (Louisa Glasson). Mrs. T shouting "NO! This is not how the fairy tale is supposed to end!" should have been a clue that there would be a Season 6.

Did Dominic Minghella see it as fairy tale from the start? I don't think so. I think he saw it as a a broken man trying to get unbroken, not that he necessarily saw it that way.

Now if you'd said Pride and Prejudice I might have agreed.

OK, I really like the Pride and Prejudice comparison. But perhaps that just pushes things back a bit -- what is the lasting appeal of P and P? (which I personally never tire of reading or watching).

I don't mean to initiate a discussion of P and P here -- just thinking about what might be the elements that hook people, and if that is shared among works that really captivate us.

Another example, quite different, is the "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'Brian -- 16 (or 18?) novels in a series about a late 18th-early 19th British Naval commander. There are devout fans of this series, much like us fans of DM series. It's a complete alternate reality, with a very engaging relationship between two male friends -- both of whom are quite flawed, but ultimately likeable.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just discovered that "The IT Crowd" with Katherine Parkinson (Pauline) and Chris O'Dowd (Jonathan from "On the Edge") is now on Netflix. Added it to my queue this morning!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Thank you all (Blue-Eyes, New Park, cc. Cookie, robspace 54, statesidefan and Shop Girl) for your very interesting and diverse answers and ideas. I hope to see opinions from other members on the forum.

Yes, robspace 54, I forgot to mention the breathtaking last season scene at the castle. And doesn't that beautiful title Ever After give us hope for Season 6 and on and on...? Also I like your word captured because the show seems to have cast a spell over so many of us, has it not? I'm so glad you have become a writer.

New Park: I would imagine you are talking about the incredible Series 3 opening scene where Louisa is reading the fairy tale and is rescued by her prince--yes, that was one of the best, in my opinion. I look forward to any further thoughts you may have.

Blue-Eyes: (How marvelous it must be to live on that "sceptered isle...set in the silver sea" where the whole thing is taking place!) I like your use of the word "desperate" and this is in part, what I am intrigued to uncover--why, why are we desperate!? What is this show touching in us? Note some synonyms for the word desperate: bold (as in courageous) determined, dangerous; but also, despairing, futile, vain (as in hopelessness).

cc. Cookie, I liked your excellent microcosm analogy and your very perceptive descriptions of the characters. Also, I just cannot imagine this being anywhere else than it is --it must be England and in Port Wenn/Isaac on the coast of Cornwall. I think I would like to change your last line from "give us hope and for a great future for them all" to "give us hope and a great future for all of us". (But of course it would be for them as well!)

Stateside fan: I am very interested in exploration in any way into the unconscious reasons for our adoration of Doc Martin. So, study?--yes definitely. As for the writing aspect (and I don't know if If you mean fan fiction) I'm certainly interested; but other than posting on this forum, I'm not sure what form it would take. I understand someone has written Doc Martin fictional books. Let us hope for very high standards here!--I see that robspace 54 mentions Pride and Prejudice. Yes, please, nothing LESS than a Jane Austin for our Doc Martin! (By the way, it is interesting that the book is materializing from the show, rather than the other way around. But I believe this has happened before.)

Shop Girl: I agree that without Martin Clunes there would not/could not be a Doc Martin. Martin Clunes should be a British National Treasure! I wonder if his appearance on the American talk show circuit would be demeaning in some way? I realize he has been on UK talk shows, but he belongs there--I'm not sure that I would like to see him presented between a rap artist and an animal act. Just a thought! That said, I wish every single person in America could have the great privilege of seeing the "Portwenn magic" described by robspace 54.

Before I sign off, have any of you seen these two movies that are in many ways very reminiscent of Doc Martin? Both are British. One is called Local Hero (1983) and the other, Ned Devine (1998). The second is called Waking Ned Devine in North America. I highly recommend these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I just discovered that "The IT Crowd" with Katherine Parkinson (Pauline) and Chris O'Dowd (Jonathan from "On the Edge") is now on Netflix. Added it to my queue this morning!

So did I Gotta get my Pauline fix and something to watch while we wait!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I sign off, have any of you seen these two movies that are in many ways very reminiscent of Doc Martin? Both are British. One is called Local Hero (1983) and the other, Ned Devine (1998). The second is called Waking Ned Devine in North America. I highly recommend these.

I'm hopping in late here, but it's good timing for me, because you just mentioned one of my favorite movies of all time, "Local Hero." I haven't yet seen "Ned Devine", but if it also reminds you of Doc Martin and Local Hero, obviously I should.

When I first watched Doc Martin, on the recommendation of a wise friend, it reminded me, yes, of "Local Hero", and also "Northern Exposure", an award-winning American TV show (from the 90's, I think) about a New York doctor forced to practice medicine in a tiny, remote Alaskan village situated in a gorgeous setting with breathtaking scenery, quirky locals, funny and bizarre events. And the doctor detested it and only wanted to escape back to New York where life made sense to him.

The three, Doc Martin, Northern Exposure, and the movie Local Hero have in common a mystical, magical feel that I've never been able to fully explain. I've always only been able to say something like, "I can't explain it, just watch it". The settings and brilliant casts certainly add to that feeling. But Doc Martin, among the three, moves and feels like a grown-up fairy tale more than the others. It reminds me of the fractured fairy tales aired during the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show. I know others have mentioned this similarity too. It makes me think of a fairy tale written for adults, turned on its side, with a sprinkling of grown-up humor and situations.

The writing, direction, and casting is brilliant, of course. The leads are perfect. The other regulars seem born for their roles. Even occasional drop-in actors are so well suited. In fact, one thing I really like is the use of lots of older actors who have honed their skills over the years and truly understand the use of a light comedic touch.

I have to say that Martin Clunes' portrayal is pure genius. The Doc may be a loud, pushy, bossy, blowhard, but we love him because his humanity and vulnerability shows through, especially when we see this brilliant, successful surgeon brought to his knees by two things, his blood phobia, and Louisa Glasson. He also plays the baffled outsider so well. And the villagers are so completely NOT intimidated by him. It's just a perfect mix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all (Blue-Eyes, New Park, cc. Cookie, robspace 54, statesidefan and Shop Girl) for your very interesting and diverse answers and ideas. I hope to see opinions from other members on the forum.

Loved Waking Ned Devine. We're going back to Ireland at end of June, after a brief stop in Port Isaac. And now I'm very curious about Local Hero.

Just checked Amazon -- Local Hero is available streaming. And the little blurb said -- people who watch this also ordered Waking Ned Devine.
This discussion has been closed.