Options

Former Radio 1 Breakfast Show Host Mike Smith Dies

FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
Forum Member
Just heard that Mike Smith passed away yesterday after complications with heart surgery.

RIP Mike:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28623367

Comments

• Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Just heard that Mike Smith passed away yesterday after complications with heart surgery.

RIP Mike:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28623367

shocking news .condolences to his wife and family :(
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rip mike.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. Condolences to Sarah & family.
  • Options
    themanfrom?themanfrom? Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    a sad loss to radio rip mike smith :o
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm my god. Can't believe this. He was brilliant on the Radio one breakfast show. He did lots of TV and had his helicopter film company.
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad. 59 is a young age to go.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    R.I.P. Mike.

Poor Sarah, they seemed like a real solid couple, almost like they were one person.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear this news.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people remember him when he was a dogsbody at Radio 1 in the 1970s and sometimes got to read the travel news from the studio during OBs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memories of Mike Smith whilst at Radio 1.

http://radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/mike_smith_page.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sad loss from the days when Radio 1 was unmissable.

RIP Mike.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    A sad loss from the days when Radio 1 was unmissable.

RIP Mike.

Absolutely.You hung on for every word. Extremely good on tv as well of course. I'ts a rare talent to have such flair in both.
    R..I.P Mike,You will always be remembered.:cry:
  • Options
    Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news. In other circumstances or with other career directions, you could easily imagine Mike Smith having being a major name at Radio 2 these days perhaps.
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad. Fantastic back in the day, and I agree, actually a better TV host.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. He was good as a radio and TV presenter. RIP Mike.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to do the early show on Radio 1 at BH and then go off to TV Centre for Breakfast Time, so before half the population had even got up, he would have appeared live on both radio and TV!
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Poor Sarah! Thinking of you hon :( xx
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grew up with Mike Smith on Radio and TV. He always came across as a nice friendly guy.
    He was good on the Radio 1 breakfast show. Better than the current DJ.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Shocked and saddened, I followed him on twitter and he was always ready to reply, he was a great journalist, and missed radio, I rather hoped he was going to turn up on Radio 2 one day,

How very sad.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked and saddened, I followed him on twitter and he was always ready to reply, he was a great journalist, and missed radio, I rather hoped he was going to turn up on Radio 2 one day,

How very sad.
    I often wondered about this. Was he happy to be off the national radio, or was it rather enforced on him? Would he have jumped at a chance on national radio, such as 2 again? My own perception of him in the 80's was that he was the clean cut, goody goody boy, who would long be the BBC's pet. That is not meant to be disparaging in any way. I recall some strange railway watch programme he did once in which the highlight seemed to be wheeling some obstacle off the track briefly. He later joked about it in an interview for its banality.

He was, or at least seemed to be everywhere on BBC radio and TV from about 1982 to 1989....then he was almost nowhere. I was never sure whether that was entirely his own free choice, despite his other endeavours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah and Mike appeared on Pointless recently too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Grimmy will pay tribute on Monday. Moyles would have if he was still at R1. radio 2 might. There should be some tribute too him?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just spent some time browsing through Mike Smith's twitter. Actually quite an interesting one, much to say, and strongly opinionated especially about the BBC and its deficiencies in recent times with the rubbish they put out and their wastefulness of licence payers money. Plenty about his helicopter TV works too. He seemed a very prolific tweeter but suddenly stopped posting them in late January this year. Had he been ill for some time up until his passing? The news made it sound rather sudden and unexpected following major heart surgery. Maybe it wasn't quite so?