Channels Showing Full Widescreen Films

Comments

• RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certaintly interesting times if terrestrial channels are now indeed showing uncut versions of age-restricted films before the watershed. Not that I necessarily object to it, depending on each individual case, but it kind of makes a mockery of the wider rule that they must only show versions which are equal to BBFC-approved versions.
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,596
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    A possible heads-up for two BBC1 dramas, and normally I wouldn't expect them to be filmed in 2.35:1 but we've had Whistle & I'll Come To You and The Song of Lunch, on BBC2, but I've seen clips of Toast (tonight on BBC1 at 9pm) which is a BBC Film and the clips are in 2.35:1.

Also, the trailer I saw for Zen, a series of 90-min dramas on BBC1, 9pm Sundays, was in 2.35:1. The clips shown on Breakfast today was in 16:9 so it could've just been for artiness on the trailer but as much as I love films in 2.35:1, it would seem a bit odd to do it for regular dramas.

Oh, and Dances With Wolves is in at 12.55pm today on BBC2. The last two times (at Xmas/New Year, in fact) they've shown that it has been in 2.35:1. The segments I've seen of it don't look like it's been cut, either, even though it's a 12-cert film showing in the middle of the afternoon. Could be a case of 'everyone watching it knows what to expect so any bits of violence remain'.

Isn't there a bit of sex in Dances With Wolves as well? Maybe that will get cut.

I've noticed that Channel Five are showing Ryan's Daughter at 2pm next Monday and that's a 15, although I'm assuming they'll cut the sex scene out. I bet they don't show the film in 2.35:1 either.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    It's certaintly interesting times if terrestrial channels are now indeed showing uncut versions of age-restricted films before the watershed. Not that I necessarily object to it, depending on each individual case, but it kind of makes a mockery of the wider rule that they must only show versions which are equal to BBFC-approved versions.

(SPOILERS BELOW)

There may be edits in it. I haven't gone through it and checked as I haven't the time, but I'm expecting that it would be difficult to cut much as there's scenes like the baddies scalping people, which I didn't think was particularly bloody for a 12-cert but with all their shouting and actions, particularly in the death of Timmins, which was probably the most gruesome scene, that looked intact.

It's a shame there's no 4-hr version on Blu-ray, just the 3hr :(
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002CYIR1Q
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,596
    Forum Member
    (SPOILERS BELOW)

There may be edits in it. I haven't gone through it and checked as I haven't the time, but I'm expecting that it would be difficult to cut much as there's scenes like the baddies scalping people, which I didn't think was particularly bloody for a 12-cert but with all their shouting and actions, particularly in the death of Timmins, which was probably the most gruesome scene, that looked intact.

It's also a shame that the extended version is never broadcast :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Isn't there a bit of sex in Dances With Wolves as well? Maybe that will get cut.

Yep, I guess they could tone down the heavy petting aspect of it.
    I've noticed that Channel Five are showing Ryan's Daughter at 2pm next Monday and that's a 15, although I'm assuming they'll cut the sex scene out. I bet they don't show the film in 2.35:1 either.

They showed Doctor Zhivago in 16:9 yesterday, so I'd expect the same for RD. And they have a habit of showing 15-cert films in the afternoon and cutting them down. I emailed them once and they gave me some bull about wanting to show them to a bigger audience (not mentioning the lack of artistic integrity).

I can see that in some DZ and RD, they're more of an afternoon-type film, but that's the problem with the watershed. Radio doesn't have a watershed so on the odd occasion, for example, Radio 4 have had a play with an f-word or three in it, they'll just give a warning in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (SPOILERS BELOW)

Actually, I think that scene with Timmins was trimmed for the scalping as you only saw, from a distance, the baddie raising his arm up to show he'd done the deed, and nothing at all up close, so it looked a bit vague.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan's Daughter is an odd one. Alright there's some general unpleasantness towards the end but IIRC, the sex scene is the only '15' thing about it really, and I don't remember it being particularly graphic in terms of boobage. I notice the BBFC still gave it a 15 as recently as 2006 - interesting, given that it was originally rated the equivalent of '14' (AA) for cinema back in 1970. It's probably a case of something that would be a 12A now on DVD, if such a thing were an option although obviously it can't be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    (SPOILERS BELOW)

The extended cut is due out in the new year. It will probably be region locked, but hopefully a UK release will follow.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5405

There is a French extended blu-ray available, but I think there is an issue with the subtitles.

I've still got my VHS boxed set version with the soundtrack and booklet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Ryan's Daughter is an odd one. Alright there's some general unpleasantness towards the end but IIRC, the sex scene is the only '15' thing about it really, and I don't remember it being particularly graphic in terms of boobage. I notice the BBFC still gave it a 15 as recently as 2006 - interesting, given that it was originally rated the equivalent of '14' (AA) for cinema back in 1970. It's probably a case of something that would be a 12A now on DVD, if such a thing were an option although obviously it can't be.

I've always found the 12A an odd thing as it's like, "It's a 15-cert, but then it's mostly made for kids, so let's having something inbetween", and that started with Spiderman, although I thought that felt more like a 15 anyway, but I digress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The extended cut is due out in the new year. It will probably be region locked, but hopefully a UK release will follow.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5405

That's great news, thanks. Ta for the info about the French release, too.
    I've still got my VHS boxed set version with the soundtrack and booklet.

Me too. I was well-chuffed when I bought that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    That's great news, thanks. Ta for the info about the French release, too.

Me too. I was well-chuffed when I bought that :)

I got this version DVD when first released

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dances-Wolves-Three-Disc-Special/dp/B0002W1AIW/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1293724060&sr=1-4

Probably deleted now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Toast on BBC1 was shot in 2.35:1 and for a BBC-own film, they've bottled it for the BBC1 showing. Anyone watching it on BBC1 HD?
  • BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I just flicked over to take a look. 16:9 as you would expect given that BBC1 SD is a simulcast of BBC1 HD.

This does present a problem as up until now films on BBC HD have, from those few I've seen, been broadcast in their OAR. Now with BBC1 HD it seems that any films shown on here will likely be cut down to 16:9 if they are not already in that aspect ratio :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baccattack wrote: »
    No, but I just flicked over to take a look. 16:9 as you would expect given that BBC1 SD is a simulcast of BBC1 HD.

This does present a problem as up until now films on BBC HD have, from those few I've seen, been broadcast in their OAR. Now with BBC1 HD it seems that any films shown on here will likely be cut down to 16:9 if they are not already in that aspect ratio :(

Most of them have been shown in their OAR, but I remember reading on here that when Snake Eyes was 16:9 on BBC1, a few months back, it was the same on BBC HD.

Toast is shown again at 11pm tonight on BBC HD, and Weds 10.30pm, also on BBC HD. If you're free to check tonight's showing, I suspect Wed's will be the same. Will be interesting if it's 2.35:1.

I've emailed BBC Complaints in the meantime to ask why it's not in 2.35:1 and when will they not fall down at the last hurdle with films like this on BBC1 primetime, while giving them kudos for their marked increase in this so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on BBC1 in 2.35:1 now. Not seen this before. How bad is it?

The sequel's on just after midnight tomorrow, too.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on BBC1 in 2.35:1 now. Not seen this before. How bad is it?

It's on Freeview in 2.35:1 too.

It's an OK film, doesn't do the game justice IMO.

I would have preferred more exploration and puzzles rather than gun fights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW Does anyone know if the BBC have had complaints about this recent addition of showing films in the OAR?

Or have viewers learnt this is how it is supposed to be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on Freeview in 2.35:1 too.

It's an OK film, doesn't do the game justice IMO.

I would have preferred more exploration and puzzles rather than gun fights.

Yeah, it passed by 90 minutes but it wasn't great. 5/10, I think.

Any idea what the sequel's like?

It's difficult to put any game on the big screen as they have to convert an active genre to a passive one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it passed by 90 minutes but it wasn't great. 5/10, I think.

Any idea what the sequel's like?

It's difficult to put any game on the big screen as they have to convert an active genre to a passive one.

The sequel isn't that good in comparison. Even fewer puzzles and a poor ending.

I liked the Silent Hill and Resident Evil films, although they still didn't feel like films of the game, rather than films of the story in the game.

I think Doom did a relatively good job with the First Person bit of the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sequel isn't that good in comparison. Even fewer puzzles and a poor ending.

Oh dear. Not good. And it's a bit longer too :(
    I liked the Silent Hill and Resident Evil films, although they still didn't feel like films of the game, rather than films of the story in the game.

I saw the first Resident Evil film. That was enough for me. I never got into the Silent Hill games.
    I think Doom did a relatively good job with the First Person bit of the film.

Haven't seen that one. Again, it's something that wasn't exactly top of my list of films to see and when it was on ITV recently, it was cropped to 16:9 so I passed.
  • BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent, shall look forward to watching my recording even though I've seen it previously on the BBC HD channel. Can't beat a bit of Angelina :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hills are alive with the black-bars of wiiiiidescreeeeen. Sound of Music in 2.20:1 on BBC1 right now.

IMDB lists 2.35:1 as the print struck for cinemas, since that's the conventional ratio, but 2.20:1 is how it was made, in Todd-AO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The hills are alive with the black-bars of wiiiiidescreeeeen. Sound of Music in 2.20:1 on BBC1 right now.

IMDB lists 2.35:1 as the print struck for cinemas, since that's the conventional ratio, but 2.20:1 is how it was made, in Todd-AO.

Does this mean they've brought a new print or was the 16:9 version they've shown before a pan and scan version of a 2.31:1 version?
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd guess the redone print - as it matches shot makeup on my DVD copy..

however - the subtitling on it is *crap* in places... just joined from Dr Dolittle on 4 - which was also in correct aspect...

However, as an aside over subtitles - I *wish* the teams responsible would stick all the lines up if they are lyrics, as otherwise lipsync and timecode is all buggered up... And when you know them almost off by heart...
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real giveaway is NOW... Giveaway is Carr's ankles. She sprained one shortly before they shot 16 going on 17 - just checked - they had Photoshopped out the dressing on the recent remaster.
    Left ankle was always a little puffier...

Listed on IMDB's goof pages...