Options

The Good Cook - Fridays 7.30pm BBC1

Comments

• Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying this series and I've printed off most of the recipes !
    He reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson somehow.
    But I won't hold that against him ! :D
  • Options
    kate1kate1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Sorry still dont get what people like about this.

Its been done by Jamie, Delia, Nigella, Nigel Slater, Brian Turner, Phil Vickery, Paul Rankin, Gary Rhodes, Ainsley Harriot, Hugh, theres NOTHING new. Done to death, resurrected, then killed again.

Come on how to cook rice for the 10 billion time.

I feel the programme is for people that dont cook, or for beginners (are we all entering in the age of how to cook a chip or grill an aubergine, or about Olive oil) Cooking programmes were talking about Olive oil 10 years ago and more............ if somebody could point me in the direction of something that we have learnt from this guy, it would be great to know. I wish I could learn something but theres nothting that he has said that I dont know, nothing at all. So is it a programme for fledgling cooks? Can I just put in here in the economic times we are in, who can afford Steak? He never mentioned cut or quality - no buying guide, (just a bit of steak) So Rump is going to cook as good as fillet, that wasnt mentioned, just "This is how you cook steak" No not good enough He had a good quality of meat there, fat running through it. Proabably a rather lot per kilo, um not mentioned though.

Also he didnt use the side of the hand method to know how you want your steak done, timing isnt any good depends what cut, where its come from and how you want it.

Classic combinations

thats all

Garlic, olive oil, parsley
    Garlic, olive oil Corriander
    Foccacia, Rosemary, garlic, olive oil

Same principles apply.

Grilled veg or roasted veg with olive oil and garlic. (and rosemary)

NOTHING NEW
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this series and I've printed off most of the reipes !
    He reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson somehow.
    But I won't hold that against him ! :D

Thank you, my OH thought I'd gone mad when I said that Simon reminded me of JC. :D
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate1 wrote: »
    Sorry still dont get what people like about this.

Its been done by Jamie, Delia, Nigella, Nigel Slater, Brian Turner, Phil Vickery, Paul Rankin, Gary Rhodes, Ainsley Harriot, Hugh, theres NOTHING new. Done to death, resurrected, then killed again.

Come on how to cook rice for the 10 billion time.

I feel the programme is for people that dont cook, or for beginners (are we all entering in the age of how to cook a chip or grill an aubergine, or about Olive oil) Cooking programmes were talking about Olive oil 10 years ago and more............ if somebody could point me in the direction of something that we have learnt from this guy, it would be great to know. I wish I could learn something but theres nothting that he has said that I dont know, nothing at all. So is it a programme for fledgling cooks? Can I just put in here in the economic times we are in, who can afford Steak? He never mentioned cut or quality - no buying guide, (just a bit of steak) So Rump is going to cook as good as fillet, that wasnt mentioned, just "This is how you cook steak" No not good enough He had a good quality of meat there, fat running through it. Proabably a rather lot per kilo, um not mentioned though.

Also he didnt use the side of the hand method to know how you want your steak done, timing isnt any good depends what cut, where its come from and how you want it.

Classic combinations

thats all

Garlic, olive oil, parsley
    Garlic, olive oil Corriander
    Foccacia, Rosemary, garlic, olive oil

Same principles apply.

Grilled veg or roasted veg with olive oil and garlic. (and rosemary)

NOTHING NEW

Were you not watching when he went to the butchers and bought sirloin (which is, IMO and his, the best cut for a steak) and explained about marbling and white fat?

Presumably you also fry your hand cut chips twice in olive oil. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    im 39 and have been cooking those dishes since I was 18
  • Options
    Forum Member
    twice fried chips been done about 10 years ago. On low heat first, to cook the middle " HAng on shall we state the bleeding obvious" and then we fry them again, its common sense not a cookery class. Its quite worrying what actually people are cooking at home????????????????????? If this programme is inspiring, blinking heck
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    twice fried chips been done about 10 years ago. On low heat first, to cook the middle " HAng on shall we state the bleeding obvious" and then we fry them again, its common sense not a cookery class. Its quite worrying what actually people are cooking at home????????????????????? If this programme is inspiring, blinking heck

Kate, you don't like it fine but you don't need to keep stating the fact, as other people do and get something out of it, so deal with it. If you're 39, try acting like it.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    nightstar wrote: »
    Thank you, my OH thought I'd gone mad when I said that Simon reminded me of JC. :D

Reminded me of the guy who plays the Conservative minister in The Thick of It.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thats the difference Pommpeybill Im a cook. Ive worked along time in food magazines a very long time, sorry agree to disagree thats all - just dont like the programme thats all. Its old hat and ive at 39 I need somebody tot tell me how to cook a steak -................................................ an chips not too sharp, Steak and chips is basic but he never said what cut of meat. He had a large expensive peice of meat and failed to leave that out. The normal family does not have 14.99 per kilo to spend on meat,. Think it through
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    thats the difference Pommpeybill Im a cook. Ive worked along time in food magazines a very long time, sorry agree to disagree thats all - just dont like the programme thats all. Its old hat and ive at 39 I need somebody tot tell me how to cook a steak -................................................ an chips not too sharp, Steak and chips is basic but he never said what cut of meat. He had a large expensive peice of meat and failed to leave that out. The normal family does not have 14.99 per kilo to spend on meat,. Think it through

I applaud you, you're a cook, fantastic. Thing is, most people who would watch it aren't. The programme, obviously, is for people who aren't expert cooks and want to try something at home, and looking for ideas on how to do quality food or improve what they already do. I fall into that category and whilst the steak wasn't the top idea I picked up on (although I will try the double fry of the chips), there wasn't one other dish during last night's programme which I won't try. Anyway, sure, I won't spend out on a first class steak, but the idea and theory is the same.

Being a cook yourself, the programme isn't aimed at you, probably worth remembering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats cool I dont have a problem with that, but I come from a background where eveything that the chef on the show does for me is basic stuff, oil, parsley, garlic, grilling, roasting, and it dosent need to be expensive - but the steak he was cooking I coudnt afford to buy that. I just learnt from mum, and a bit of trial and error - the programme cool of course but its just stuff I already do - got lemons for dressing, garlic, parsley, sorry didnt mean to offend or anything - I just get annoyed cos the programme is no use if you already do it, and people before have already done it. Anyhoos happy cooking xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Thats cool I dont have a problem with that, but I come from a background where eveything that the chef on the show does for me is basic stuff, oil, parsley, garlic, grilling, roasting, and it dosent need to be expensive - but the steak he was cooking I coudnt afford to buy that. I just learnt from mum, and a bit of trial and error - the programme cool of course but its just stuff I already do - got lemons for dressing, garlic, parsley, sorry didnt mean to offend or anything - I just get annoyed cos the programme is no use if you already do it, and people before have already done it. Anyhoos happy cooking xx

I'm glad you've given up banging on, and conceded, Kate, as I fear no one was really listening. It's clear the programme isn't aimed at you and, even if it's not original or new, which seems to be your argument, so what? Not all fledgling cooks will have seen previous cookery shows and not all fledgling cooks are poor either, just inexperienced or amateurs 20 years younger than you.

Just for the record, one of the biggest variations in steak, IMO, is whether they're grass fed or cereal/grain fed. This tends to obscure the influence of the cut in determining tenderness and flavour.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm an ethusiastic home cook and have worked in a professional kitchen and I like this program. I can make a better steak and chips that what was shown in the program but it's all down to personal preference and I even though I know about some of the hints & tips in the program (double cooked chips etc) it's still good to learn.

I imagine if he didn't talk about double cooking the chips, cutting the fat, pre-seasoning people would complain about it being too simplistic and not giving the viewer any useful advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thoroughly enjoy your patronising tone Ichou, your doing yourslef some grand favours. I wouldnt normally respond to be honest but having seen risotto cooked by Nigel Slater, on Lorraine and also on another programme, if you watch cookery programmes its been done 3 times this week let alone. I look forward to more of "you know best" "Im glad you have stopped banging on" Are you seriously kidding me" how patronising. Risotto has been cooked three times this week, and this new programme tells us how again to cook risotto, work the maths out please
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like it, don't watch it! Simples....:p
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Tonight
    With useful tips and tricks of the trade, Simon demonstrates how to make his mother's cheese and onion pie, delicious Tuscan tomato and bread salad, Rockefeller-style mussels, tender breast of lamb with onions, and the perfect orange caramel custard/creme caramel.

Across the series, Simon introduces the ingredients he cannot live without. In this episode, Simon shares his love for sour dough bread and mussels.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Is this guy from an Enid Blyton book? "Yummo scrummo pie" indeed :p
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Is this guy from an Enid Blyton book? "Yummo scrummo pie" indeed :p

Mind you, it did look ab-so-bloody-lutely yummo AND scrummo. :D

That pie is pretty much the same one as I make and my Mum and her Mum made. Always been a favourite in our family. Might make one this weekend.

But he's been out of Bury faaaaaaaaaar too long; yummo scrummo, indeed.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    That lamb dish with onions looked nice too :D
  • Options
    Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Saw this for the first time this evening-thought it was like a not so good Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers!
  • Options
    davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry so many people on here didn't like it. I've tried three of the recipes and they were all wonderful, including the best chips I've ever had. While Nigel Slater's stuff is good, this series is a bit more technical and helpful in preventing things going wrong. I like knowing a bit about how and why you do things, rather than slavishly following a set of instructions, and this fits the bill for me.

I do agree they could've benefited from making it less London-centric, tho. What with Nigel, Nigella etc. and their multi-million pound homes, I can see why the regions might get a bit sick of seeing London brick.
  • Options
    jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he might not have the best tv style and he might seem a bit dated but Nigella, Nigel, Delia and co have used several of his original recipes and ideas in their earlier series ie) before he was "famous". Although most of us who are into cooking - mainly via books rather than rely on tv progs - are well aware of his influences in the world of cooking from well over a decade ago,
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The roast chicken recipe:
    He goes on about chicken skin being 'heaven'. It's not. It's bad for you. That's where the fat is.
    Then he takes the skin off the potatoes - that's where the goodness is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very good point, spot on.

Rick Steins programme on Spain has been a real eye opener not a risotto in sight neither steak or chips.

Think I saw Risotto made three times last week, so If you didnt catch it the first or second time..........

For me its just VERY BASIC FOOD
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this show is very la di da