Sonic overused?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that it hasn't been that many episodes into the new series but do you think the sonic screwdriver is still being overused? Since the reboot it has featured on almost every single episode and whilst Matt's Doctor was most guilty of overusing it David and Ecclestone used it far too much and bar the first episode Capaldi has been using it quite a bit and its getting rather annoying. I was hoping that after Hurt's comment in the 50th anniversary we weren't going to have the magic sonic stick coming out to wave the situation better. I did like the whole scene in the prison where he couldn't use the sonic because he didn't have it but it does still feel a little overused and very much a get out of jail free card. It's a screwdriver not a magic wand. >:( Anyway what does everyone else think? :cool:

Comments

• MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Same topic from a few days ago - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1341528&highlight= - didn't really get too much interest then (probably cos it's one of those topics that gets mentioned pretty much every day in various threads so it there's not much left to say in a dedicated thread)

Short version - the average answer is always "It's great as long as it's not used to much" - and since "too much" is purely subjective, that's where it fizzles out.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it has been vastly improved already, in that it hasn't been unnecessarily used any plot resolutions, yet.

They have all required more physical, investigative work. Unlocking things, scanning things and playing with power seems par for the course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same topic from a few days ago - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1341528&highlight= - didn't really get too much interest then (probably cos it's one of those topics that gets mentioned pretty much every day in various threads so it there's not much left to say in a dedicated thread)

Short version - the average answer is always "It's great as long as it's not used to much" - and since "too much" is purely subjective, that's where it fizzles out.

Sorry, didn't realise that existed :blush: I don't go reading all threads all the time just the ones that look interesting. I guess "too much" is subjective but then again I was hoping for episodes where it didn't appear at all like before the reboot.
    CD93 wrote: »
    I think it has been vastly improved already, in that it hasn't been unnecessarily used any plot resolutions, yet.

They have all required more physical, investigative work. Unlocking things, scanning things and playing with power seems par for the course.

I agree its a vast improvement but its not enough improvement on where I'd like it too be, I guess with the overuse you have to phase it out to appease those who liked the constant use of it, or to explain why it suddenly isn't being used so much any more.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Interesting that he hasn't had a new one (yet?) - I'd like to see a return to a smaller, more elegant one next.
  • stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I was thinking that they were using it less lately....

In Robot of Sherwood they even went so far as to having it confiscated by the Sherif and we actually didn't see it again.....he even got out of his shackles with Robin without using it - surely a change in recent years as it would always be the sonic.

...in fact, we never got to see the Doctor get it back at all (and in the story I'm not sure how he could have retrieved it).... though of course next week I'm sure it will make a comeback!

... if you are hoping for another incident like in the 5th Doctor story 'the visitation' where he loses it 'permanently' then you will I'm sure be disappointed as the TARDIS will just make him a new one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't mind it being used, its just it doesn't need to appear every episode. That's what I'm getting at, that it didn't need to be used every episode before the reboot and I want to return to that. I like the fact its being used less but it should be used even less than it is in my opinion especially since Matt used it every other line practically (yes I am exaggerating).
  • radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stocklen wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was thinking that they were using it less lately....

In Robot of Sherwood they even went so far as to having it confiscated by the Sherif and we actually didn't see it again.....he even got out of his shackles with Robin without using it - surely a change in recent years as it would always be the sonic.

...in fact, we never got to see the Doctor get it back at all (and in the story I'm not sure how he could have retrieved it).... though of course next week I'm sure it will make a comeback!

... if you are hoping for another incident like in the 5th Doctor story 'the visitation' where he loses it 'permanently' then you will I'm sure be disappointed as the TARDIS will just make him a new one!

I noticed that (and mentioned it in a new post). I was wondering if this is how he gets a new sonic in the next episode. However it would leave his old one stuck somewhere and someplace in time.

That could make for some interesting plotlines!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clara's line whilst tied up was brilliant, and obviously the writers (Gatiss at least) realise it can be/has been used as an omnitool a bit too much lately. I think it was along the lines of

"Can you sum up your plan without using the words 'Sonic Screwdriver'...."
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clara's line whilst tied up was brilliant, and obviously the writers (Gatiss at least) realise it can be/has been used as an omnitool a bit too much lately. I think it was along the lines of

"Can you sum up your plan without using the words 'Sonic Screwdriver'...."

Gatiss did the same in Crimson :D

The Doctor coming around to using chairs instead of the sonic :p