Gym membership

#grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I joined the gym a few months ago, but my enthusiasm soon died off. I was considering cancelling my direct debit, but a few people have told me it will be a years contract. I wasn't told that, never signed anything, or given any paperwork. Can they tie me in?*

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have filled something in or signed something because gyms usually have forms to fill out for your information. If there was never anything and no contract at all then just cancel it, there won't be anything they can do.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them you have moved out of the area and they should cancel for you.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #grotbags# wrote: »
    I joined the gym a few months ago, but my enthusiasm soon died off. I was considering cancelling my direct debit, but a few people have told me it will be a years contract. I wasn't told that, never signed anything, or given any paperwork. Can they tie me in?*

If you have a direct debit, you must have signed something to allow them to take the money.

Have you looked at the gym website to see the T&C.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancelling the direct debit is not the same as cancelling your contract, don't do it until after you have established and gone through whatever notice period is required by the terms of your membership, otherwise you will be chased for the debt.
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 99% sure the girl filled in some questions, but never asked me to sign anything. I guess I might be wrong. I won't cancel the DD without checking with them though.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look on their website and see if it's says anything about cancelling.

Not all gym memberships are contracts, the one I go to which is a nationwide chain is a month to month membership, if I decided to stop going I can either freeze my membership until I go back (I don't pay when it's frozen) or just cancel it via their website.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    You've only been there a few months? I'd stick at it. Your problem is that you're probably going there too often, and doing the same thing. You need to mix it up a bit, you'll get more out of it that way.

I've had memberships at various gyms before, and found I burnt out quick when I was doing 5days a weeks there. I found it best to schedule three days a week, and then go on a fourth day if you've nothing better to do for a general workout.

It does depend on what your goal is, but try maybe to focus on different muscle groups for different days? It's been a while since I've last been to a gym, but I think a general rule was to work Chest, Back and Shoulders on one day, Biceps and Triceps on another, and then Legs (with core work) on another. A lot of core work can be done outside of the gym though I think.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just speak to the gym and explain your position and see what they say... maybe you are tied into a long contract but you also may just need to give them a month or two's notice. The sooner you contact them the sooner can you can put cancellation process in to motion.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a chain gym or independent ? Most of the chain ones have minimum contract period. We have a couple of independent local ones which advertise having no minimum contract period.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    You've only been there a few months? I'd stick at it. Your problem is that you're probably going there too often, and doing the same thing. You need to mix it up a bit, you'll get more out of it that way.

I've had memberships at various gyms before, and found I burnt out quick when I was doing 5days a weeks there. I found it best to schedule three days a week, and then go on a fourth day if you've nothing better to do for a general workout.

It does depend on what your goal is, but try maybe to focus on different muscle groups for different days? It's been a while since I've last been to a gym, but I think a general rule was to work Chest, Back and Shoulders on one day, Biceps and Triceps on another, and then Legs (with core work) on another. A lot of core work can be done outside of the gym though I think.

Good advice. I know some people who hate the idea of paying for something they're not using (i.e., having to go to gym every day to make membership worthwhile) but as Flash says, it's the long game. Think in months rather than days and weeks. Don't go every day, but work hard on days do go. Mix it up, change routines as much as possible. Give yourself rest days and treats. It really is worth it :D.