Options

Problems with HP deskjet printer

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
this is a 5850 printer .

for some reason when I print out a picture the blacks just aren't printing , and I know there's plenty of black ink in it .

I've looked at the user's guide , but can't find anything about this particular problem .

anyone help ?

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it trying to print grey using the colour inks? Have you got colour ink in it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Is it trying to print grey using the colour inks? Have you got colour ink in it?

yeah there's a color cartridge in , plenty left .

it seems to just print the blacks as a mix of the colors so it comes out a grey-ish/purpley sort of weak black .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried printing a text page in just black and I got nothing , just a very faint glimmer of the text , and the black cartridge has plenty in it .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if you print a test page/report using the menu on the printer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if you print a test page/report using the menu on the printer?

well there's a calibration or test page , the colors come out ok , but no black .

it seems pretty definite that the ink just isn't going out of the black cartridge , there must be a blockage somewhere in the 'intake' , but I can't see a way of getting the tray out and cleaning it .

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well there's a calibration or test page , the colors come out ok , but no black .

it seems pretty definite that the ink just isn't going out of the black cartridge , there must be a blockage somewhere in the 'intake' , but I can't see a way of getting the tray out and cleaning it .

Have you done a clean from the printer menu?

It could be a duff black ink cartridge, especially if it's quite old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you done a clean from the printer menu?

It could be a duff black ink cartridge, especially if it's quite old.

yeah , a coupla times .
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think those have the printhead on the ink cartridge. You can do very little with those except buy a new one.

The ink has dried in the very small printhead nozzles, you should see a rectangle of dried ink on the printhead and flexible plastic copper tracks to contacts.

You can try something like running hot water over the printhead and hope, or possibly some solvent.

Any material like a tissue tends to damage the printhead. The hot water does as well, on mine you get a rather grey looking black afterwards even if successful.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick search on google and looks like print head is integrated so unless you can clean it, could be time for a new cartridge.

How often do you use the printer ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Quick search on google and looks like print head is integrated so unless you can clean it, could be time for a new cartridge.

How often do you use the printer ?

can I ask - what and where is the "print head" ?

I've only just put in a new black cartridge .
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    HP cartridges include the print head. If a new cartridge doesn't solve the problem then the only hope is to try cleaning the contacts behind the cartridge which connect to the cartridge contacts. If that fails then it's time to chuck it.

Are you using a new HP cartridge or a refilled one? I've had several duff refilled ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    HP cartridges include the print head. If a new cartridge doesn't solve the problem then the only hope is to try cleaning the contacts behind the cartridge which connect to the cartridge contacts. If that fails then it's time to chuck it.

Are you using a new HP cartridge or a refilled one? I've had several duff refilled ones.

do you mean chuck the cartridge or the whole machine ?

the contacts behind the cartridge - you mean the coppery looking dots ?

so can I ask - when its printing - the mechanism goes across and the ink sprays out of the bottom of the cartridge , is that right ?