Losing my driving licence through sleep apnoea

2»

Comments

• CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bf's dad is a diabetic, and as he's gotten older and it's gotten worse with fits etc, he knows that if he goes to his doctor for a check up, they'll see this and revoke his licence...so he never goes to see his doctor.

I'd never say it to my bf or his dad, but I think that it's a bit wrong. If he's a danger to other road users -even if he thinks otherwise- he should do what's right.

But like you OP, no one wants to lose their licence, especially when they need it. So I feel for you :( But rules are rules!! (Hope that doesn't sound patronising..)

Sad to say if your bfs dad was involved in an accident which, given his condtion appears likely, the effects of this would be a classic case why all insulin dependent diabetics who are well controlled pay loaded insurance premiums. They see diabetic on the form and load the premiums regardless of how well controlled they are.

It is the ones driving who should not be driving that are the menace on the roads. I knew a diabetic a few years ago who was nearly blind but was still driving, he could not even see road signs or traffic lights but relied on his wife who could not drive to point them out. A car in front of him was just a blur. He did lose his licence eventually after an accident which luckily was just a bump with no injuries but did no favours to diabetics as a whole.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Jaxxfan, I have sleep apnoea at a rate of 33 times an hour, I also have fibromyalgia, multiple arthritis and a few other things thrown in for good measure. I also have my driving license and a letter from the dvla confirming that I am under treatment for the apnoea and am allowed to drive. You must be under treatment and the treatment must be working, as suggested have a second test wearing the mask, you must also notify the dvla as previously mentioned, and you mustn't drive till you have the permission of the sleep clinic. Trust this helps, and you need to go back to the clinic for further tests.
    Dave
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isaac Hunt wrote: »
    Not being funny or nothing but if your doctor is saying give up your licence because you are a danger then i hope to god there is no way around it.

Or do you know better than your doctor?

She didn't say that. She said her consultant said that they will take her license away, not that they should.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarrely enough, even though I've never passed my driving test I was disqualified from driving because of my sleep aponea.

It meant I qualified for a free bus pass though.

I can't get on with my CPAP either but they're a bit stumped - i've always had weak nasal passages since I was a nipper, so i can't have the nasal mask and the full face one irritates me too much.

Not that i'm sharing or anything :)
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a 3rd mask which covers the mouth and has a nasal fitting, I managed to wear it for 1 night and wasn't very impressed, I much prefer the face mask which seems to work for me.
    Dave
  • anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Bizarrely enough, even though I've never passed my driving test I was disqualified from driving because of my sleep aponea.

It meant I qualified for a free bus pass though.

I've just been diagnosed with OSA (260 apnoeas in 5 hours :eek:). Do you have further details about how to get the free bus pass? I'm currently paying over 70 quid a month for mine, so even a discount would be of help.

ETA: Ah, found details on my local council's website.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaxxfan wrote: »
    Like I said, I've been driving 27 years with no accidents or convictions and I'm less likely to cause an accident than so many other people.

Well sadly your clean driving past has no influence on this situation at all. Your body won't care that you've not had a crash in 27 years if it decides it's time to fall asleep while you're driving.

I can understand why you're angry & upset, but quoting your driving history as a reason to keep driving doesn't make much sense. No one is saying you're a bad driver, just that you stand a risk of losing control of the car due to sleep. Saying "Oh well it's never happened before" after a crash might be too late.

I would get a 2nd opinion if you feel you have been treated unfairly and the sleep issue doesn't impact your life at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anfortis wrote: »
    ETA: Ah, found details on my local council's website.

I don't know about other councils but my one does give you the pass if you're medically unable to travel so hopefully yours will do the same. it's proven to be somewhat of a lifeline in itself to me really.
    Well sadly your clean driving past has no influence on this situation at all. Your body won't care that you've not had a crash in 27 years if it decides it's time to fall asleep while you're driving.

That's exactly right - and also add in the fact that the lack of sleep caused by sleep aponea will impair your reactions as well and make you feel generall sluggish and tired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Sad to say if your bfs dad was involved in an accident which, given his condtion appears likely, the effects of this would be a classic case why all insulin dependent diabetics who are well controlled pay loaded insurance premiums. They see diabetic on the form and load the premiums regardless of how well controlled they are.

It is the ones driving who should not be driving that are the menace on the roads. I knew a diabetic a few years ago who was nearly blind but was still driving, he could not even see road signs or traffic lights but relied on his wife who could not drive to point them out. A car in front of him was just a blur. He did lose his licence eventually after an accident which luckily was just a bump with no injuries but did no favours to diabetics as a whole.

Im diabetic and have loads added onto my insurance policy because of it but this is why we get Disability Living Allowance etc. ;)
  • JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I did inform the DVLA as soon as I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea. I'm also an insuln dependent diabetic so I guess the two conditions make me a nightmare for the DVLA.

Added to this, my mother died last month and my disabled father relies on me to help him get around and get his shopping and take him to hospital appointments, so not having a licence will make his life even worse than it already is after having to say goodbye to a blissful 55-year relationship with my mum.

I live a mile from the nearest bus stop and take my young son to school and back every day. I have several doctor and hospital appointments every month. I have no thyroid, diabetes, fibromyalgia, ME, sleep apnoea, ulcerative colitis and IBS. I'm undergoing tests for multiple sclerosis too.

So life is hard enough for me and for my family at the moment. I'm not asking for sympathy, just a solution to my driving problem. If there is no solution and I have to give up driving, so be it. But any of you would feel the same as I do and would explore all avenues before admitting defeat.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is no solution and I have to give up driving, so be it. But any of you would feel the same as I do and would explore all avenues before admitting defeat.

I think in all honesty you need to start looking seriously at the prospect of not being able to drive any longer, if only because once you've looked at something properly, it never seems so frightening. The problem with sleep apnoea is not that you fall asleep at the wheel because of the condition, but that the condition makes you sleep-deprived, and your attention to the road will not be as it should be. You may not notice this (no-one ever does when drunk, for example), but it happens. You may be able to return to driving if your sleep apnoea can be treated successfully, but you must be guided by what your consultant says.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that sleep apnoea causes excessive daytime sleepiness. Even so, it's not that dramatic, and the driver does get some warning of drowsiness, and can pull in to have a nap.

I'd say the affected person would be far more likely to go to sleep sitting on a bus, than using all their concentration driving.

My own view is that those under treatment should only be barred from using the motorways.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The problem is that sleep apnoea causes excessive daytime sleepiness. Even so, it's not that dramatic, and the driver does get some warning of drowsiness, and can pull in to have a nap.

I'd say the affected person would be far more likely to go to sleep sitting on a bus, than using all their concentration driving.

My own view is that those under treatment should only be barred from using the motorways.

I was listening to a radio programme on sleep apnoea a couple of weeks ago, and one of the people on there had actually fallen asleep at the wheel and had an accident, so it does happen. I don't think it would be feasible to ban people just from motorways, how would you control it? And doing 60 mph on a non-motorway is just as dangerous if you're tired.
  • anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I was listening to a radio programme on sleep apnoea a couple of weeks ago, and one of the people on there had actually fallen asleep at the wheel and had an accident, so it does happen.

I haven't driven in years, but I think that at my worst I could probably have fallen asleep at the wheel. Obviously individual cases can vary (and I realise that the OP said that they were only a mild sufferer), but I often could not tell when I was going to drop off. On a bad day, there is constant sleepiness, and I could "zone out" at the drop of a hat - I have actually fallen asleep in the middle of conversations :( I would hope that if I still had a car before my diagnosis, I would have realised that I wasn't in any condition to drive.

I scored extremely highly on the Epworth Sleepiness scale (close to narcolepsy level) so I know I am a fairly extreme sufferer - luckily CPAP seems to be working and I'm feeling better than I have in a long time :)
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for the record, I'm pretty sure that if you surrender your licence (due to ill health etc.), you retain the right to drive again if the situation ever improves (and your Doctor or Optician agrees).

i.e. you don't need to take another driving test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anfortis wrote: »
    I scored extremely highly on the Epworth Sleepiness scale (close to narcolepsy level)

I scored quite high on that as well, although I wouldn't really know what it meant in terms of scale ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Just for the record, I'm pretty sure that if you surrender your licence (due to ill health etc.), you retain the right to drive again if the situation ever improves (and your Doctor or Optician agrees).

i.e. you don't need to take another driving test.

Thats right you don't you just need to be under control for what ever the specified conditions are thats the same rules for people with epilepsy.

Op if you have all these medical conditions and have now lost your liscence as well then for hospital appointments see if your GP will autorize hospital transport for you. You have to hang around quite often before an after an appointment for them but its free and you get taken door to door. Which just by not having the pay the car park fees at the hospital is a pretty good saving and usually a fairly long walk if your hospital are anything like the ones I go to.

Sleep apneo wuold quite possible entitle you to free bus pass and disabled rail card as well as you've had to surrender driving liscence on medial ground though the bus pass so look into that. Beleive me those of us who have never been able to drive on medical grounds, I've been epileptic since 11 have lived perfectly well on buses and the odd taxi and even better now with the internet to deliver my big food shopping directly to the kitchen floor as opposed the the taxi driver whod get it out of the boot of the car and leave it on the pavement.
  • gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I did inform the DVLA as soon as I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea. I'm also an insuln dependent diabetic so I guess the two conditions make me a nightmare for the DVLA.

Added to this, my mother died last month and my disabled father relies on me to help him get around and get his shopping and take him to hospital appointments, so not having a licence will make his life even worse than it already is after having to say goodbye to a blissful 55-year relationship with my mum.

I live a mile from the nearest bus stop and take my young son to school and back every day. I have several doctor and hospital appointments every month. I have no thyroid, diabetes, fibromyalgia, ME, sleep apnoea, ulcerative colitis and IBS. I'm undergoing tests for multiple sclerosis too.

So life is hard enough for me and for my family at the moment. I'm not asking for sympathy, just a solution to my driving problem. If there is no solution and I have to give up driving, so be it. But any of you would feel the same as I do and would explore all avenues before admitting defeat.

Whilst you're in a horrible situation and you do have my thoughts, I have to swing it another way and I have to ask: If you hit someone, would you feel as though you should have given up your license? Could you live with yourself if the person you hit died? If someone, with all your conditions, hit your young son or your father, could you forgive them?

It's not the same but for me, as a sensible driver, I would not touch a drop of alcohol if I was planning on driving. Even if I had one drink, which is under the 'limit', if I was driving home and I hit someone I'd always wonder if I could have prevented it by not having that one drink. I'd hate for you to think you could have done something to stop you hitting someone, and possibly killing them. It'd haunt you for life.

Do the sensible thing and give up your license before you hurt anyone. It's not safe.