Options

Best red hair dye..?

I've been dying my hair red for the past while and I have been using Schwarzkopf Live Salon Style in shade 'Intense Red'.

http://www.superdrug.com/content/ebiz/superdrug/invt/254579/254579_l.jpg

Since I've been using this dye for the best part of 3 months, I've noticed that it's making my hair really dry and brittle :( it lasts quite long, about 4 weeks which isn't bad!

So guys I'm on the look out for a new red hair dye, just to see if another brand will not make my hair so dry. Any suggestions?And also, does anyone know what the Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Colour red hair dyes are like? Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dyed my hair red with chemicals for about 20 years, and my hair was really struggling in the end - breaking off all over the place, falling out, looking shocking. I have switched to henna over the last 3 years or so. It's a lot more faff, but it's far cheaper and my hair is great condition now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I have to say the Avon hair dyes have really impressed me. They include a pre treatment serum you put on the ends of your hair to protect it, and the colour is really rich and glossy.

They have a good few red shades and they've just added a new one called Intense Red. They often have deals on them as well. I'm in Ireland so I order from my local Avon lady, but I think if you're in the UK you can order online, hope this helps :)
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Garnier Nutrisse ones are pretty good! They smell delicious.

I'd recommend Loreal's Feria as a lovely home dye with excellent colour pay off. They even give you this little thingy of oil that helps (in my opinion) the condition of your hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I used BRed affinage it's brilliant
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used the feria one last time - pure spice i think it was, it was a lovely bright colour.

I got my hairdresser to do my colour last time, and it wasn't as nice and has faded really badly, so i am going to go back to home colouring!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I used Loreal Feria and had great results :)
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Directions dyes, though they're BRIGHT colours!
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others about the Avon colours. I've only used it once but it's last we'll and left my hair in a good condition. I recommend it
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got fed up of my hair dye fading quickly, so a colleague recommended Wella Colour Fresh:

http://www.lookfantastic.com/brands/wella-color-fresh.list?gclid=COPGhpChz7ICFVF0fAodagsAdQ

I use it to top up colour every week or so (hides any signs of roots) and you can use it with very little fuss - no mixing, apply it without gloves, washes out easily. It's not as intense as a dye with a quick developer (which, she assured me is what dries your hair out), but it leaves it in good condition and at £6 a bottle it has lasted me for two months and I've no where near finished it.

She also introduced me to Morroccan oil, which is fantastic for dry hair.