Has The Body of Richard III Been Found?

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is a press conference going on at the moment which hopefully will tell us if the body of Richard III has been found.

Mind you they seem to drawing it out. Does this mean he has been found or not?

Comments

• HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the DNA shows it is a male. That is a good start.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    As thought it is him.

No surprises there then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it is. I suppose it had to be, with all the palaver going on, they'd look a bit stupid if it wasn't.
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »
    Looks like it is. I suppose it had to be, with all the palaver going on, they'd look a bit stupid if it wasn't.

Exactly.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now bring him home to Yorkshire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It Is Him.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Press conference states that it is, beyond reasonable doubt, him!
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting question now...... will he be quietly interred somewhere, or is he entitled to the pomp and ceremony of a King's funeral !!!
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »

Leicester wont let him go, as he will be a source of tourism cash.

But I agree he should have gone back to York....
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where will they bury him now?

I heard them say on the news this morning that they have been able to work out exactly what he would've looked like, by using technology etc. Did they show how he'd have looked?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good work and well done to the team.:)
    Forum Member

I thought it had already been decided that his remains will be interred in Leicester Cathedral.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let hope some of the tudor mythology is now disppelled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    I thought it had already been decided that his remains will be interred in Leicester Cathedral.

Yes. They are struggling for tourists, I guess. Think we said before it is like the wrangling for saints' bones you get in 'Cadfael'. But after the evidence of all the obscene ways Leicester people treated his body - it is pretty awful he is not being laid to rest at York.:eek:
    Forum Member
    Yes. They are struggling for tourists, I guess. Think we said before it is like the wrangling for saints' bones you get in 'Cadfael'. But after the evidence of all the obscene ways Leicester people treated his body - it is pretty awful he is not being laid to rest at York.:eek:

He's been at rest in Leicester for so long, that imo he'll gain more attention by staying there .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. There is a long running thread here
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

I think they're pretty civilised there these days:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Where will they bury him now?

I heard them say on the news this morning that they have been able to work out exactly what he would've looked like, by using technology etc. Did they show how he'd have looked?

No, they didnt show any facial reconstructions of the skull. Shame, as if it had looked like the known picture of him, it certainly would have helped, although it would have been difficult getting an expert who didnt know in advance that it was Richards skull, so any results may have been skewed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I think they're pretty civilised there these days:D

Still sick to bury him there.:D And no, they ain't. My husband used to live there - I been many times. Gary Lineker is probably the most civilised thing ever to come out of Leicester.:p
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    No, they didnt show any facial reconstructions of the skull. Shame, as if it had looked like the known picture of him, it certainly would have helped, although it would have been difficult getting an expert who didnt know in advance that it was Richards skull, so any results may have been skewed.

They're probably saving it for tonight's documentary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    They're probably saving it for tonight's documentary.

Be good if thats true.......
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Still sick to bury him there.:D And no, they ain't. My husband used to live there - I been many times. Gary Lineker is probably the most civilised thing ever to come out of Leicester.:p

I'm familiar also with modern Leicester. My son's girlfriend is at Leicester uni, it's been quite a buzz there, particularly in her department;) Though sadly she's had little involvement.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Big, big thread already.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Leicester wont let him go, as he will be a source of tourism cash.

But I agree he should have gone back to York....

which sometimes makes me wonder if it is him or they are just saying that to get money.

they must have had DNA from some where to match up.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    which sometimes makes me wonder if it is him or they are just saying that to get money.

they must have had DNA from some where to match up.

They have matched the DNA with that of a bloke descended from Richard's sister, Anne.