This is why I love Wave 105

dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 763
Forum Member
✭✭
Love that Wave 105 is independent within Bauer (PLEASE keep it that way)

Play list during my commute this morning (8:50-9:45am):

Ian Dury
BA Robertson
Sparks
The Korgies
The Knack
Joe Jackson
Flying Lizzards
Roxy Music

Whoever is the play list controller at Wave, keep up the good job! (admittedly I guess I’m right in the middle of their demographic? (mid '40s)

I do worry when I read about other stations becoming homogenised, even within Bauer.

Comments

• PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, although 9-10am is the Golden Hour, so you're bound to get more interesting tracks played at that time.

That said, not many stations are so adventurous when it comes to Golden Hour-type features. Wave definitely stands out there.
  • dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..and having such playlists during prime times as well :D
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what Bauer do with this station. It would be a good national offering for D2 if they win the licence.

As the rules stand it doesn't need to do any regional programming if the station is on national DAB, so they could run it from Golden Square.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is interesting:

Last 30 days, Wave 105 compared to rivals:

Wave 105 played 2,990 unique tracks

Absolute Radio played 1,482 unique tracks

Magic 105.4 played 1,092 unique tracks

Jack FM South Coast played 892 unique tracks

Heart London played 816 unique tracks

Capital FM South Coast played 183 unique tracks :o

http://comparemyradio.com/compare/Wave_105
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    I agree, although 9-10am is the Golden Hour, so you're bound to get more interesting tracks played at that time.

That said, not many stations are so adventurous when it comes to Golden Hour-type features. Wave definitely stands out there.
    They still do the odd 60's year on the Golden Hour as well unlike other stations.
    On comparemyradio only 6 Music and Radio 2 has a higher amount of unique tracks. So here is a station that is truly local and has a wide playlist yet has huge ratings and is broadcasting to an area with a huge amount of competition. Yet according to some usual suspects here this is a recipe for disaster for a commercial station. Proves how wrong they are.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet according to some usual suspects here this is a recipe for disaster for a commercial station. Proves how wrong they are.

The thing with Wave 105 is that it's the whole package - the music's interesting and the content is local without feeling parochial. The presenters are all really good, and their promotions are great (cruises, parties, Cash for Kids etc). In a way it's the exception that proves the rule.

But, that said, it must be hugely expensive to run. I'd be very surprised if Bauer haven't considered 'Magic-ing' it to reduce the spend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and still thay manage to include all day travel news that's second to none.
  • HotkeysHotkeys Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Get ready for Magic....
  • Jim_AFCBJim_AFCB Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Agree with the positive comments re: Wave 105 - we are very lucky to have it here, especially with the demise of 2CR in recent years.

Rather than "Magic-ise" Wave, they should look to try the format in other parts of the country, though part of Wave's strength is its local-ness, supporting local events and their own local charity Cash For Kids for example.

Worth pointing out that Capital is bound to have a small number of rotating tracks given they are a chart music station.
    Wave truly are proper "music variety" - even had the Stranglers' Peaches on the other morining's 1977 Golden Hour just after 9.

I know there is the saying that you need change in order not to go backwards, but I really hope that Bauer leave Wave 105 well alone.
    It just works!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Maybe Absolute Radio could be rolled out on Wave 105, Planet Rock 105.2 and some of Bauer's place stations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the reasons why I love 6 music is similar they actually play interesting music and not the same rubbish as everyone else. Will give the wave a listen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim_AFCB wrote: »
    Agree with the positive comments re: Wave 105 - we are very lucky to have it here, especially with the demise of 2CR in recent years.

Rather than "Magic-ise" Wave, they should look to try the format in other parts of the country, though part of Wave's strength is its local-ness, supporting local events and their own local charity Cash For Kids for example.

Worth pointing out that Capital is bound to have a small number of rotating tracks given they are a chart music station.
    Wave truly are proper "music variety" - even had the Stranglers' Peaches on the other morining's 1977 Golden Hour just after 9.

I know there is the saying that you need change in order not to go backwards, but I really hope that Bauer leave Wave 105 well alone.
    It just works!

Wave 105 do give the impression to listeners that Cash For Kids is their own charity, but it's actually a Bauer run charity promoted across 37 Bauer radio stations nationwide:

http://www.cashforkids.uk.com/

http://www.cashforkids.uk.com/locations/
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not listened to Wave much but when I have the music seems to flow and seems it has been scheduled not to jar - that's why I think it does so well. Some stations with big playlists are sometimes not scheduled as well as Wave is meaning they are often rather random gear changes.

Radio 2 does of course have gear changes but the speech often acts as a buffer.
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that is worth pointing out here is that Wave also play new music and often champions stuff that's not getting played elsewhere.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this station too. If would be a travesty if Bauer changed the format.

How I wish my local Bauer station could be like this.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dans_t16s wrote: »
    This is interesting:

Last 30 days, Wave 105 compared to rivals:

Wave 105 played 2,990 unique tracks

Absolute Radio played 1,482 unique tracks

Magic 105.4 played 1,092 unique tracks

Jack FM South Coast played 892 unique tracks

Heart London played 816 unique tracks

Capital FM South Coast played 183 unique tracks :o

http://comparemyradio.com/compare/Wave_105

Still beaten by Radio 2 though with 3613 :-)

However, it's my 'number 2' music station, first choice after R2
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,402
    Forum Member
    I'm sure as long as Wave is making money Bauer will leave it alone but it did start to look iffy a couple of years ago. It was not performing as well and the spotlight in bauer was beginning to shine on it.

Dedpite having better figures it's still not bringing in as much revenue as Heart I believe. Global have been able to steal quite a few large and profitable S&p deals from Wave. This shows that in todays commercial world advertisers are not just interested in bums on seats and total audience they are intetested in the audience profile of the station.

Still with Wave around it's good news for people who don't like Radio 2 on the south coast. Apart from Manchester and London that must be one of the bestserved areas in the country. If you want blokey you have it and if you want female you have it. You can also still find shit local if you want.
  • jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I'm sure as long as Wave is making money Bauer will leave it alone but it did start to look iffy a couple of years ago. It was not performing as well and the spotlight in bauer was beginning to shine on it.

Dedpite having better figures it's still not bringing in as much revenue as Heart I believe. Global have been able to steal quite a few large and profitable S&p deals from Wave. This shows that in todays commercial world advertisers are not just interested in bums on seats and total audience they are intetested in the audience profile of the station.

Still with Wave around it's good news for people who don't like Radio 2 on the south coast. Apart from Manchester and London that must be one of the bestserved areas in the country. If you want blokey you have it and if you want female you have it. You can also still find shit local if you want.

Meaning???
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,402
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    Meaning???

In that area whatever you want you can have it. Quality regional stations catering for a range of audiences or awful tiny ststions. It's all available in that area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    In that area whatever you want you can have it. Quality regional stations catering for a range of audiences or awful tiny ststions. It's all available in that area.

Just wondered what the 'awful' tiny stations were - most of what were the small stations in the area have been bought up - the Southampton, Winchester, Portsmouth licences which are now The Breeze, Celador has also just got it's hands on Fire in Bournemouth. That only really leaves Community stations or the UKRD stations such as Spire or Spirit.
  • Jim_AFCBJim_AFCB Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    dans_t16s wrote: »
    Wave 105 do give the impression to listeners that Cash For Kids is their own charity, but it's actually a Bauer run charity promoted across 37 Bauer radio stations nationwide:

http://www.cashforkids.uk.com/

http://www.cashforkids.uk.com/locations/

Ok, thanks - didn't know that, as I'd never heard of it outside of a Wave 105 context.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »
    Just wondered what the 'awful' tiny stations were - most of what were the small stations in the area have been bought up - the Southampton, Winchester, Portsmouth licences which are now The Breeze, Celador has also just got it's hands on Fire in Bournemouth. That only really leaves Community stations or the UKRD stations such as Spire or Spirit.

I'm guessing he's referring to some of the community stations such as Voice, Forest, or Hot. Not the nicest way to reference them!
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    Not the nicest way to reference them!

He's a Global apologist......that's how they roll!>:(>:(

Use of swear words is pathetic too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    He's a Global apologist......that's how they roll!>:(>:(

Use of swear words is pathetic too!

Strangely, I think I marginally prefer s**t to tinpot though! I can think of one or two pretty decent stations that would be given that label by some on here - whatsmore they usually dish it out without ever taking the time to listen first. Oh well....
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if that favoured word of DS posters "tinpot" might also apply to big group operators of national DAB stations who don't pay their presenters?