Options

ideas for spicing up Deal or no Deal!

Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is probably one of my favourite programmes, I look forward to it each day, it's like a mini drama every time and Noel does an immense job of keeping it fresh, he injects passion into every single show.

However lately I've found myself just switching on and I only really start paying attention towards the end when it gets critical. and I used to love it but now find myself groaning when the banker calls with impromptu offers when he isn't meant to.

Was thinking - can this show be sexed up without losing its essence ? Box 23 was a good idea maybe as a temp gimmick but I think it's taken something away from the show as people are too reckless now. does anyone have any ideas for spicing things up? personally I'd quite like to meet/hear from the banker. Also a short VT of the contestant perhaps in a home setting could bring their stories to life a bit. What else... Changing the amounts on the boxes? I mean 10p and £1 might as well be the same box innit?

I know, it is really sad I think about these things, but I'd love to hear from anyone equally sad and willing to admit it, n throw some ideas out there..

Comments

• Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Put a rattlesnake in one of the boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a rattlesnake in one of the boxes.

Ha ha I laugh so much imagining this, that would definitely "shake" things up
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born lippy wrote: »
    This is probably one of my favourite programmes, I look forward to it each day, it's like a mini drama every time and Noel does an immense job of keeping it fresh, he injects passion into every single show.

However lately I've found myself just switching on and I only really start paying attention towards the end when it gets critical. and I used to love it but now find myself groaning when the banker calls with impromptu offers when he isn't meant to.

Was thinking - can this show be sexed up without losing its essence ? Box 23 was a good idea maybe as a temp gimmick but I think it's taken something away from the show as people are too reckless now. does anyone have any ideas for spicing things up? personally I'd quite like to meet/hear from the banker. Also a short VT of the contestant perhaps in a home setting could bring their stories to life a bit. What else... Changing the amounts on the boxes? I mean 10p and £1 might as well be the same box innit?

I know, it is really sad I think about these things, but I'd love to hear from anyone equally sad and willing to admit it, n throw some ideas out there..

You are coming to the end of your obsession this happened to me with it a number of years ago, all shows have a lifeline and no matter how you change it if you are starting to wander you will eventually give up.

Maybe have a break from it or just admit you need to find something new.

The only thing they should change is that it is still the same amount to win from when it started £250,000 isn't the same £250,000 it was in 1996 maybe up it to £500,000
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I believe they're introducing a new 'Offer Button' twist at some point, maybe this autumn or perhaps in the new year.

I don't know whether Box 23 has been removed in line with this; I don't think it's very popular.

I think they should do more of the live shows. They were quite good (and the last time I ever watched the show regularly) and I'm surprised they've never done any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop getting Noel and the "pilgrims" to dress up for these cringeworthy theme weeks they have. No doubt they will be dusting off the old costumes for Halloween in a few weeks. I hate them with a passion and cannot understand why they are so popular.

To be honest I think the show is getting really dull, maybe its had its day. I would like to see it end when Noels next contract is up rather than let it limp on and on like Countdown has.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop getting Noel and the "pilgrims" to dress up for these cringeworthy theme weeks they have. No doubt they will be dusting off the old costumes for Halloween in a few weeks. I hate them with a passion and cannot understand why they are so popular.

To be honest I think the show is getting really dull, maybe its had its day. I would like to see it end when Noels next contract is up rather than let it limp on and on like Countdown has.

Have they had a male winner yet I am sure that is what he is waiting for if they haven't
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Celebrity bankers sat in the studio - contestant allowed to haggle over offers.

2. Banker can give the contestant an offer to buy back into the game after dealing. (e.g. if you want back in it will cost you 10% of your eventual winnings. Or a fixed amount, meaning if they win less than the buy back they owe the banker money - tv quiz show first for a contestant to leave worse off than they started, but that's gambling for you.)

3. A tiger!

4. The banker can buy an unopened box for an instant cash sum or spot prize - meaning that box than can never be opened in the game, but the player keeps the cash/prize. (e.g. "the banker will give you a weekend mini break for box 10")

5. All contestants to receive a year's supply of beard dye.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    You are coming to the end of your obsession this happened to me with it a number of years ago, all shows have a lifeline and no matter how you change it if you are starting to wander you will eventually give up.

Maybe have a break from it or just admit you need to find something new.

The only thing they should change is that it is still the same amount to win from when it started £250,000 isn't the same £250,000 it was in 1996 maybe up it to £500,000

1996? :confused: The UK show started in 2005. £250,000 won't have changed that much in 9 years.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a game of luck. No more no less. Just choose a box and thats it.
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I think perhaps it needs to be put out of its misery, with all due respect to its fans.
    The show has run it's course and is now looking quite repetitive and sadly, a bit desperate with the gimmicks it is always employing.
    Weakest Link went on a few years too long, so is DOND.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOND began on 31st October 2005, and I'm surprised that despite some of its annoying new traits that I continue to stick with it almost 9 years later like no other game show. Infact I'm not even a fan of game shows, rarely watch any others but this has been a major exception and it does seem to have a cult like draw towards it.
    It's about time they had a naked theme week, no costumes at all! I've seen a few pics online of what appears production crew and the warm up man behind the boxes in the wings all nude whatever was going on.
    Have they had a male winner yet I am sure that is what he is waiting for if they haven't
    They've had 2 male winners, the first last year in August was an 18 year old guy called Paddy, and in February they had the 2nd winner, and Indian man called Roop who teased that he was going to use box 23 at the end. If he had he would have been doubled to the half million. Nobody would be insane enough to do so with a chance of losing a quarter of a million however.
    1996? :confused:The UK show started in 2005. £250,000 won't have changed that much in 9 years.

Believe it or not according to the Bank Of England, £250,000 in 2005 is now worth £326,000 so a considerable difference.
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Electric shocks for any contestant that cries?
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This and Come Dine With Me need to be either put out of their misery or taken off for a year or two

It's a one hour show about opening boxes that should take no more than 10 minutes if you cut all of the waffle/chanting/dressing up in costumes/more chanting and praying out
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    This and Come Dine With Me need to be either put out of their misery or taken off for a year or two

It's a one hour show about opening boxes that should take no more than 10 minutes if you cut all of the waffle/chanting/dressing up in costumes/more chanting and praying out

Hmmm I disagree about CDWM. I think it's been reinvigorated by becoming Couples Come Dine With Me. It's added a new dimension and become a lot more watchable all of a sudden.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancel it.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancel it.
    No deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    No deal.

It's a show that takes no skill and has no redeeming features - it's people opening boxes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirty bomb in one of the boxes.

I can't even begin to express how much I hate this show, its audience and everything about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a show that takes no skill and has no redeeming features - it's people opening boxes.

...and talking inane shit for what seems like hours and hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »

"I can feel a blue for you, love, I can feel it's 1p!"
    *opens box*
    "Oh, It's 250k"

I love it when that happens!
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like you work on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

It's about time they had a naked theme week, no costumes at all! I've seen a few pics online of what appears production crew and the warm up man behind the boxes in the wings all nude whatever was going on. .

Much as I am a fan of Edmonds, I think this might push me over the edge , it's sexually charged enough as it is! I can just see them doing backstage ritualistic orgies - and bareback banker spankings -maybe that's what you saw that time ;-) thanks for letting me know im not the only fan left!

The tiger was a good idea, and the electric shocks. The dressing up gimmicks annoy me a bit too, it was maybe best when it was short and simple.I wonder what this offer button will be about?
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »

How do you know? (I assume you have spent hours and hours watching this i/s!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I can feel a blue for you, love, I can feel it's 1p!"
    *opens box*
    "Oh, It's 250k"

I love it when that happens!

Haha yes!! its really odd cos I can more often than not guess what is in box 23 before its opened.......spooky
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born lippy wrote: »
    Haha yes!! its really odd cos I can more often than not guess what is in box 23 before its opened.......spooky

Better sign up then and get on there - they like spooky! :)