Options

Death certificate

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
Forum Member
Does anyone know how much the document you get from your GP when someone passes on which has both his and another doctors signatures costs. I've read that it cost £80 but my sister was quoted over £300 by the funeral director!

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you mean a 'death certificate' it should be £ 7.00 from the local Registry Office or £ 3.50 if you get it whilst it's in the current register, ie within a few weeks of the registration
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    No not that. It's this one

"If the body is to be cremated, the doctor will arrange for the signature of a second doctor required to complete the cremation certificate. Doctors charge fees for providing cremation certificates."
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    AdNoctum wrote: »
    No not that. It's this one

"If the body is to be cremated, the doctor will arrange for the signature of a second doctor required to complete the cremation certificate. Doctors charge fees for providing cremation certificates."

http://www.williampurves.co.uk/costs/cremation.php

£130 according to that.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my mom paid about £30 for my grandads but that was in the mid-80's. probabley a lot higher now
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    we didnt get charged last year for the cremation certificate
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We didn't get charged either - the two doctors both worked in the same hospice, but our council also has a policy to promote cremations since burial space is now at a premium.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it all depends on the circumstances. I can only vouch for personal experience of a death in elderly care home environment and im pretty sure nobody has ever been charged for the certificate.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Drs get paid for signing the certificates, and they usually pass them to the funeral directors to deal with.

I suppose it's up to them to charge what they want for dealing with them.