If we woke up tomorrow with no knowledge of any religion, would the world be better ?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    It would be great if we all moderate Christians.

it would be fantastic if we were all tolerant enough of other faiths and opinions for religion not to matter beyond one`s own personal preferences.
  • bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    As the title says : if the human race woke up tomorrow and there was no knowledge of any religion would the world be a better place. Im undecided.

Yes, No ?

There'd be quite a few words and meanings gone from language.
    Wonder what Hell Angels would call themselves?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Nah probably not
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    There'd be quite a few words and meanings gone from language.
    Wonder what Hell Angels would call themselves?

The Pony Club.
  • bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    The Pony Club.

Born again Ponies

Well as your new 'pile' on the corner will house bikes, it won't be 'Christ on a bike' but

'Ponies on a Bike' mate, that's one well hung effing TV! :D
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind as well that a whole load of music, literature and art would suddenly be incomprehensible. No Joyce, no Shakespeare, no Exorcist...
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. There's not an awful lot of "knowledge" in religion seeing as it's mostly made up. If we all one day magically forgot about religion, someone would have invented a new one from scratch within the first week.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I think the world would be a better place had religion never existed. Generally I think that religion does more harm than good, so much war. murder and bigotry have been 'justified' by religion.

I don't have a religion, but I can see the good parts of it too. For individuals it can give them somebody to turn to in hard times, it can give them hope ect. I don't have an issue with that, as misguided as I personally believe it to be life is hard - if people can use religion to help them that's great. My hatred (yes, hatred) is directed towards organised religion.
  • JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    Im still not decided.

It does bother me the arrogance of some religious people when they think they are gods chosen people, whether thats islam, judaism, jehovahs witnesses, or the pope and the catholic church. Its very divisive in my opinion
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I hope so.....wonder if aliens attacked the earth everyone would join together to fight them instead of each other
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    I hope so.....wonder if aliens attacked the earth everyone would join together to fight them instead of each other

Parts of humanity are seiously messed up

I like this quote below by the late great howard zinn

"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of leaders…and millions have been killed because of this obedience…Our problem is that people are obedient allover the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves… (and) the grand thieves are running the country. That’s our problem.”
    Forum Member
    The desperation by some to crowbar in another religious thread with some ridiculously convoluted question is rather silly.

What next?

"If you fell over, hit your head and suddenly became religious, would you want to own a pony?"

You should do what i do when i see a thread im not interested in.....don't click on it and don't post on it. I find that works for me :p

Either that or go buy a pony :D
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    A new religion would soon fill that particular hole, such is the nature of man.

Such is the nature of SOME men and SOME women who can't cope with reality.

As soon as it's seen for what it is, the sooner it can be treated.

Nothing can or will happen if people keep treading lightly around people so afflicted and carrying on like it's a real thing with a valid point. That isn't helping them at all, that's just reinforcing their nonsense as normal.
    Forum Member
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    Im still not decided.

It does bother me the arrogance of some religious people when they think they are gods chosen people, whether thats islam, judaism, jehovahs witnesses, or the pope and the catholic church. Its very divisive in my opinion

The danger comes when they try and force by law or by terrorism their nonsense on other. Whether it be lobbying against gay people's equality based on their nonsense or killing people based on their nonsense, it's all the same.

When a person's mental state and judgement or reality is impaired to the point where they really think there is a God and they must take action because he says so, we really should be stepping in and doing something about it and them.

Any person using the God nonsense as an excuse for anything should not be listened to in the first place.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing can or will happen if people keep treading lightly around people so afflicted and carrying on like it's a real thing with a valid point. That isn't helping them at all, that's just reinforcing their nonsense as normal.
    What would help the affliction of people who don't really understand what constitutes a valid point and that just because they don't believe in something and that there is no proof for it (no proof as opposed to no evidence) that means that it does not exist. Can they be helped? Do they need to be helped? Maybe if they aren't doing themselves or anyone else any harm then there are other things that are more in need of help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The danger comes when they try and force by law or by terrorism their nonsense on other. Whether it be lobbying against gay people's equality based on their nonsense or killing people based on their nonsense, it's all the same.

When a person's mental state and judgement or reality is impaired to the point where they really think there is a God and they must take action because he says so, we really should be stepping in and doing something about it and them.
    No we should only be stepping in if they are doing something wrong. We should also be stepping in if people step in an unlawfully prevent others taking lawful action because they consider it Devinely inspired just because someone thinks that they have a right to interfere,
    Any person using the God nonsense as an excuse for anything should not be listened to in the first place.
    Anyone who spouts this would certainly raise questions however there may be other things he says that might be worth listening to.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dismissing something you don't agree with as a symptom of mental illness is a very old trick. A stale, stupid and ignorant trick. Back in the USSR there was a teenage girl diagnosed as schizophrenic, purely based on symptoms including "growing her hair very long, listening to loud music, and disobeying her parents."

Dismissing religion as a mental illness might make you feel smug, but I bet you would be the first to scream and shout if some atheist (instead of a religious fundamentalist) came on and argued that homosexuality is a mental illness (which was accepted as fact once upon a terrible time).
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, The world would still be full of people with a superiority complex looking for any excuse to look down on others.

Religion is just one of many excuses to exercise our taste for divisive tribalism, a human condition that is certainly not limited to the faithful as these threads prove.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, The world would still be full of people with a superiority complex looking for any excuse to look down on others.

Religion is just one of many excuses to exercise our taste for divisive tribalism, a human condition that is certainly not limited to the faithful as these threads prove.

This /\
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, I tend to listen very closely to anyone with guns around me....then run like fu.....
    Forum Member
    Dismissing something you don't agree with as a symptom of mental illness is a very old trick. A stale, stupid and ignorant trick. Back in the USSR there was a teenage girl diagnosed as schizophrenic, purely based on symptoms including "growing her hair very long, listening to loud music, and disobeying her parents."

Dismissing religion as a mental illness might make you feel smug, but I bet you would be the first to scream and shout if some atheist (instead of a religious fundamentalist) came on and argued that homosexuality is a mental illness (which was accepted as fact once upon a terrible time).

Yes... I somehow knew that it would be my fault and not of those inventing reality as a coping device.

How can I dismiss something which has never been established by anyone ever? What is there to dismiss as the religious have never backed up their nonsense.

If someone says anything about anything they would have to back that up with evidence, fact, reality and science. So anyone can turn up and say what they like about homosexuality, but if as with religion they base that on absolutely nothing, it will be given the same validity (IE none whatsoever!)

And I don't feel smug, I feel what I am, normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes... I somehow knew that it would be my fault and not of those inventing reality as a coping device.
    Your attitude is your fault. Who else should we blame?
    How can I dismiss something which has never been established by anyone ever?
    How does that stop you dismissing it?
    Dismiss - treat unworthy of serious consideration. Are you seriously saying you are not doing that?
    What is there to dismiss as the religious have never backed up their nonsense
    .I dismiss your nonsense. That you haven't backed it up makes it easier not harder.
    If someone says anything about anything they would have to back that up with evidence, fact, reality and science.
    No they don't, Such easily disprovable nonsense.
    I had toast for breakfast. There I said something (in the internet context of said) and I don't have to back it up.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    John Lennon has a lot to answer for.

There's no-one to answer to was his point.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

"Nature of Man" is just a catch-all to describe the human race generally. You will never stop humans substituting a lack of solid answers with some form of abstract belief system.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

"Nature of Man" is just a catch-all to describe the human race generally. You will never treat or stop humans substituting a lack of solid answers with some form of abstract belief system, and it is just arrogance to pretend you could.