The Romanov family (Russian Royal family)

2»

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    George V withdrew offer of asylum in Britain and thereby effectively sealed their fate.

Anybody else find it weird that Russia uses the double-headed eagle of the Romanovs today? :confused:

George V originally offered them asylum but then changed his mind because he was afraid of importing a similar revolution to Britain.
  • sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Flanno wrote: »
    It was the tsarevitch (son of Tsar) Alexei's hemophilia which brought the downfall of the Romanov dynasty.

Also the Tsarina Alexandra's gradual withdrawal from the St Peterburg society long before the birth of her son which caused the chasm to widen between her husband Nicholas II and the various Romanov relatives. Her relationship with Rasputin whom she depended so much on him to prolong the life of her only son & heir to the Russian throne further strained her relationships with her in-laws as well.

Recently I've read an excellent book on the 4 Romanov daughters 'Four Sisters' by Helen Rappaport which explains the events leading to their murders in 1918.

I'm afraid my knowledge beyond the well known facts of what happened is limited. What is it about Alexei's haemophilia that caused the family downfall? Did it lead Rasputin into their circle or is there a different reason?

In addition, I've seen the film "Anastacia" with Yul Brynner. If the person claiming to be Anastacia has been found not to be genuine, is she pretty much now believed to have been killed with the others?
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George V withdrew offer of asylum in Britain and thereby effectively sealed their fate.

Anybody else find it weird that Russia uses the double-headed eagle of the Romanovs today? :confused:

Czar Peter the Great - great Western influenced moderniser : did a heap for Russia .His achievements deserve recognition alone .His was an era when Russia very much excelled - St Petersburg is his legacy .

If he was alive today Russia wouldnt be the stagnant perma shithole it has become.Changing the system yet having huge pride in the past are not incompatable .
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russian economy was actually doing well at the time of the outbreak of WW1. I think if the war hadn't happened, there would be some form of constitutional monarchy in Russia today, by evolution rather than revolution. The map of Europe would also be very different as the Imperial Russian Empire was much bigger than the USSR or Russia today.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russian economy was actually doing well at the time of the outbreak of WW1. I think if the war hadn't happened, there would be some form of constitutional monarchy in Russia today, by evolution rather than revolution. The map of Europe would also be very different as the Imperial Russian Empire was much bigger than the USSR or Russia today.

Well Putin and predecessors have completely devastated the economy - made it almost entirely commodity dependent so perhaps they and their 'system' should get the heave ho ? :)
  • damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition, I've seen the film "Anastacia" with Yul Brynner. If the person claiming to be Anastacia has been found not to be genuine, is she pretty much now believed to have been killed with the others?[/QUOTE]

The film is fiction ( but I love it ).
    Some years ago, a second burial pit was found in Pigs Meadow with some skeletal parts in. These remains have been identified as Alexei and the missing grand duchess.
    There is some disagreement as to wether These are Anastasia's remains or Maria's. The important thing is that all 4 grand duchesses are now accounted for, 3 in the large pit and 1 in the secondary pit.
  • ImDianeSimmondsImDianeSimmonds Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition, I've seen the film "Anastacia" with Yul Brynner. If the person claiming to be Anastacia has been found not to be genuine, is she pretty much now believed to have been killed with the others?

The film is fiction ( but I love it ).
    Some years ago, a second burial pit was found in Pigs Meadow with some skeletal parts in. These remains have been identified as Alexei and the missing grand duchess.
    There is some disagreement as to wether These are Anastasia's remains or Maria's. The important thing is that all 4 grand duchesses are now accounted for, 3 in the large pit and 1 in the secondary pit.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a copy of Anastasia by Peter Kurth when I was a student and I was hooked. I was unreasonably disappointed when DNA proved she was Szankowska.

Of course, looking back she looked nothing like Anastasia.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Czar Peter the Great......................If he was alive today ...............

He'd be 341 years old. Great, indeed.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changing the subject slightly..

Can anyone recommend a good book on Putin?

Mein Kampf? :D
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I've read somewhere then when the princesses were being shot the dresses that they worn were sewn with jewels in that the bullets just bounced off kinda thing...

Actually it was the corsets which they wore had precious stones like diamonds, rubies & emeralds sewn within to hide them from getting into the hands of the bolsheviks. Their mother also did a similar job hiding them in her corset as well

Also the tsarina had left some of her jewellery in a hidden safe which was located in her bedroom she shared with her husband when she & her family moved to Tobolsk. Unfortunately the safe was discovered by the Bolsheviks when they took over the Alexander Palace where they lived in before their exile.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    He'd be 341 years old. Great, indeed.

"Может кто-нибудь изменить мою сумку? Я 341 лет, вы знаете!"
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Может кто-нибудь изменить мою сумку? Я 341 лет, вы знаете!"

That's your opinion!
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I studied history to Higher (A) level and found this fascinating.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    It was the tsarevitch (son of Tsar) Alexei's hemophilia which brought the downfall of the Romanov dynasty.

Also the Tsarina Alexandra's gradual withdrawal from the St Peterburg society long before the birth of her son which caused the chasm to widen between her husband Nicholas II and the various Romanov relatives. Her relationship with Rasputin whom she depended so much on him to prolong the life of her only son & heir to the Russian throne further strained her relationships with her in-laws as well.

Recently I've read an excellent book on the 4 Romanov daughters 'Four Sisters' by Helen Rappaport which explains the events leading to their murders in 1918.
    I disagree, it was the complete lack of leadership shown by the Tsar that led to the dynasty's downfall, he didn't want to be Tsar and he wasn't good at it when he was.

It's difficult to know what came first with the Tsarnia and if one led to the other, being utterly neurotic or indifferent.

She was both towards all her people, I suspect it wasn't withdrawal down to being neurotic as much as indifference.

She clearly loved her children but that protectiveness bordered on imprisonment for all of them and she saw Alexie's haemophilia as a curse, rarely allowing him walk anywhere but be carried.

It is one of the reasons, among so many, Rasputin was able to get his claws in and didn't let go, till made to.

Clever cookie and conman was Rasputin who used Alexandra's Howard Hughes aversion to germs and uncleanliness to his great advantage.

It's easy to get carried away with the legends and propaganda of Rasputin but in all respects he should be seen like the school friend a child/Mother brings home and embraces and the in laws, other members of the family are not happy with.

A little bit the way Diana was treated.

As for Tsar Nicholas, he is entirely responsible for events that led to the downfall of the Romanov dynasty, a likeable man, not a good Tsar and his son, had he lived, would have fared no better.

The whole family however was dreadfully betrayed by the British Government at the time.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just shows, though, how Royalty will gladly sacrifice their own if there's a hint of danger upsetting the status quo.
  • CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[Quote=The film is fiction ( but I love it ).
    There is some disagreement as to wether These are Anastasia's remains or Maria's. The important thing is that all 4 grand duchesses are now accounted for, 3 in the large pit and 1 in the secondary pit.[/QUOTE]

I went to the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg last year where all the family are now buried. It was a very moving experience, although I am glad the regime ended.