Options

EastEnders, Thursday 12-03-2015 - Grandmother to the rescue! (8:00 to 9:00)

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilyB wrote: »
    No, they've proved the opposite. Jessie's/Kat's material is tired, weak and repetitive. DTC feels obliged to give her a story but isn't interested or invested in the character at all so it's just a half-hearted, badly written retread.

I saw her on stage last summer, trust me, she's far too good for this. It's sad to watch a very good actor trapped in what has unfortunately become a nothing role.

Jessie Wallace is very talented, when she gets great material she is magnificent. Very good in The Road To Coronation Street too. She is far better than what she is being given.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Yes
    bb2011fan wrote: »
    I enjoyed last nights episode. Some forum members seem to be confused as to why Shabnam would want to marry Kush after dating him for a month or so. However after having a few Muslim friends in the past, I know how important marriage is to them and they tried to become engaged as quick as possible. So for a traditionalist like Shabnam you can understand why she would have rushed to this assumption (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure they'll explore this idea further on Tuesday. It's definitely a clash of cultures,I find it very interesting.

That does make it a bit more believable, and you could definitely tell before last night's episode that Shabnam needed it to be something more serious, hence why she was hiding the relationship and was so reluctant to start it in the first place. I just didn't realise how serious until the end of last night's episode, I hope they do explore the idea further as I agree with you it is interesting. I just don't think it was handled that well last night.

I'm glad there were people who enjoyed last night's episode, but apart from the Carol scenes it didn't work for me. Just like I loved most of last week and this Tuesday's episode, yet there are those who acted like they were the worst things ever. It doesn't make those who are enjoying the show die hard fans incapable of being objective, it just people having different opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does make it a bit more believable, and you could definitely tell before last night's episode that Shabnam needed it to be something more serious, hence why she was hiding the relationship and was so reluctant to start it in the first place. I just didn't realise how serious until the end of last night's episode, I hope they do explore the idea further as I agree with you it is interesting. I just don't think it was handled that well last night.

I'm glad there were people who enjoyed last night's episode, but apart from the Carol scenes it didn't work for me. Just like I loved most of last week and this Tuesday's episode, yet there are those who acted like they were the worst things ever. It doesn't make those who are enjoying the show die hard fans incapable of being objective, it just people having different opinions.
    Diehard fans are more forgiving of the show now saying "you can't expect big storylines every week/these are quiet episodes" etc. EastEnders has had to claw its way back from a low period ratings wise and creatively. It can't afford to do poor episodes too often after live week. But that's exactly what it is doing and others are commenting on it.

They have wasted a golden opportunity after live week to get some extra viewers onboard. Where was the great planning that they told us about for Lucy's murder? That should have continued after the revelation. They've learnt nothing from 2010, just repeated it
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Yes
    No, they've proved the opposite. Jessie's/Kat's material is tired, weak and repetitive. DTC feels obliged to give her a story but isn't interested or invested in the character at all so it's just a half-hearted, badly written retread.

I saw her on stage last summer, trust me, she's far too good for this. It's sad to watch a very good actor trapped in what has unfortunately become a nothing role.

Perhaps she will end up quitting?Maybe her heart isnt in EastEnders anymore.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Yes
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Diehard fans are more forgiving of the show now saying "you can't expect big storylines every week/these are quiet episodes" etc. EastEnders has had to claw its way back from a low period ratings wise and creatively. It can't afford to do poor episodes too often after live week. But that's exactly what it is doing and others are commenting on it.

They have wasted a golden opportunity after live week to get some extra viewers onboard. Where was the great planning that they told us about for Lucy's murder? That should have continued after the revelation. They've learnt nothing from 2010, just repeated it
    I quite liked this episode BUT on a more general point I agree with yoy regarding the 30th.Such an anniversary is a unique opportunity to tempt and hook more long term viewers back into the fold and I felt like there was little attempt post live episode to hook viewers whod came for a peek because of the 30th to come back for more.I think at the very least the fortnight after the anniversary should have contained 8 very strong episodes that were more compelling.That was the opportunity to capitalise on the 30th and Im quite frustrated that it didnt happen.
    Of course a a lull or rather a dip after the heights of anniversary fever was always going to happen but I dont think it should have happened until a fortnight afterwards.There should have been a strategic determined effort to ensure in the immediate weeks after the anniversary that there was strong material acting as tempting enticing hooks to the curious viewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked this episode BUT on a more general point I agree with yoy regarding the 30th.Such an anniversary is a unique opportunity to tempt and hook more long term viewers back into the fold and I felt like there was little attempt post live episode to hook viewers whod came for a peek because of the 30th to come back for more.I think at the very least the fortnight after the anniversary should have contained 8 very strong episodes that were more compelling.That was the opportunity to capitalise on the 30th and Im quite frustrated that it didnt happen.
    Of course a a lull or rather a dip after the heights of anniversary fever was always going to happen but I dont think it should have happened until a fortnight afterwards.There should have been a strategic determined effort to ensure in the immediate weeks after the anniversary that there was strong material acting as tempting enticing hooks to the curious viewer.
    This is the problem I have. You don't have a quiet period or worse a creative lull one week after a big storyline pay off. You try and continue with strong episodes when you have a captive audience. They had some stragglers and held them for one week. After Tuesday the following week it was business as usual and viewers switched off.

One of the biggest planning screw ups I have witnessed in a programme.
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up

Is Les having an affair?
    Rebecca not wanting anything to do with Sonia, what is that about?
    That ending was confusing and why did Mas do a massive u-turn?
    Big Mo is committing fraud and I hope this is revealed
  • Options
    Zorah88Zorah88 Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    It would tie in with Blackwood saying that Vincent is connected to everyone.

And Les saying to billy make the most of every moment with your kids as he never got to spend much time with his
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Yes

It isn't about forgiving the show, it's about actually enjoying it, and that's what I have been doing. I have genuinely enjoyed all but a few episodes from the past few weeks. There's been some great character interaction, and it's nice to see some of the characters that haven't been used as much lately, and yesterday's wasn't great but that doesn't change the way I feel about the episodes that came before it. You may think every episode has been poor, and others may have said the same, but I disagree, an opinion that is also shared by others, not that others commenting on it makes it fact, they're both still opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't about forgiving the show, it's about actually enjoying it, and that's what I have been doing. I have genuinely enjoyed all but a few episodes from the past few weeks. There's been some great character interaction, and it's nice to see some of the characters that haven't been used as much lately, and yesterday's wasn't great but that doesn't change the way I feel about the episodes that came before it. You may think every episode has been poor, and others may have said the same, but I disagree, an opinion that is also shared by others, not that others commenting on it makes it fact, they're both still opinions.

Some are enjoying the episodes, some enjoyed the show in 2013, even I liked some of those episodes. But the problem is I don't think these episodes were strong enough to keep any extra viewers. And the ratings have shown that.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

I can only comment on what I see and hear
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Among all this exploration of Nancy and Tamwar, they're completely oblivious to the fact that there's a little girl out there who is her cousin and his niece.
    I'm trying to work out who you're referring to...?
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out who you're referring to...?

Shabnam's baby with Dean, whom she abandoned. Thus, she (can't remember her name) is Tamwar's niece and Nancy's cousin.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Yes
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Shabnam's baby with Dean, whom she abandoned. Thus, she (can't remember her name) is Tamwar's niece and Nancy's cousin.
    OMG! I completely forgot about that!
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Jessie Wallace is very talented, when she gets great material she is magnificent. Very good in The Road To Coronation Street too. She is far better than what she is being given.
    Agree, it's very frustrating to see her constantly swinging between cheeky Slapper Kat and depressed self-destructive Kat, as if she'd learnt nothing from experience. I do think she can overact sometimes on EE but the character may be written or directed that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I wish Pam would stop pushing men to go out with Donna and daring them to say they don't fancy her. She's a horrible character apart from her physical issues. As hinted at tonight, it's not just that she's small, she seems to have degenerative issues. That's a hell of a lot to take on, even without her toxic gob.

Not saying someone couldn't fall in love with her (hard to imagine, but there's a stocking for every old shoe) and look beyond her disability, but you can't and shouldn't try to push or shame someone into going out with her. I think it's actually drawing attention to the "difference", and not in a good way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    bb2011fan wrote: »
    Some forum members seem to be confused as to why Shabnam would want to marry Kush after dating him for a month or so. However after having a few Muslim friends in the past, I know how important marriage is to them and they tried to become engaged as quick as possible. So for a traditionalist like Shabnam you can understand why she would have rushed to this assumption (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure they'll explore this idea further on Tuesday. It's definitely a clash of cultures,I find it very interesting.
    A few things contradict this.

Firstly, she's a woman who has had a child conceived on a (drunken?) one-night stand.

Secondly, she didn't seek to court Kush in a traditional way e.g. talking to the parents first, NO sex etc. until she was sure of his intentions, going to the mosque together and discussing their future plans. She can't pick and choose her religion like that and then get all huffy when she's not taken seriously.

Also, IMAGINE the hell that would be unleashed if Kush had decided they were engaged without consulting her!