Has Facebook Peaked?

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else think that Facebook has peaked? I detect a growing disillushment with Facebook.

What do you think?

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I cancelled my account about a year ago and I know plenty of other people that have got bored with it and cancelled their accounts.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly the novelty has worn off. Activity amongst my friends has become a lot less in the last month.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really use facebook that much. I check it once in a while, but don't update it much. I think the trouble with Facebook is that you can offend too many people by saying the wrong thing - so it's often better not to say anything (or you have to censor yourself heavily). I prefer Twitter as it's a bit more anonymous and you can rant to strangers - if you offend them, it's not going to lose you a friendship (or upset family).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's really useful. Anything you don't like about it you can easily block.

Don't think it's peaked - just think this is part of the process it has to go through (ie- people over-using it - everyone getting annoyed with it) before it can simply be used for what it is - a good way of keeping in touch with people
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Well I cancelled my account about a year ago and I know plenty of other people that have got bored with it and cancelled their accounts.

So evidence of a trend there. Personally I think it has lost focus. It was initially supposed to be a social networking sitebut now it tries to cater for everything.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Facebook usage is all hype anyway. We are all constantly told how it is so popular and everyone is using it. They boast 500 million users.

Well, lets do the maths. The current UN world population figure is 6.79 billion. Therefore only 7.3% of the world population use Facebook. I will concede that a vast number of those are probably in the so-called 'developed world', but even so this means that 92.7% of the world's population are NOT using Facebook.

Also, the figures are distorted by the creation of the online 'games' in Facebook, such as Petville etc. I already know of several people [mainly young people] who open alias Facebook accounts to enable them to obtain additional features within the game. So, if I know of several people doing this there will be others. How many will not be known. In other words, therefore, how many of the 500 million users are duplicate accounts of one person?

The percentage goes down!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Facebook usage is all hype anyway. We are all constantly told how it is so popular and everyone is using it. They boast 500 million users.

Well, lets do the maths. The current UN world population figure is 6.79 billion. Therefore only 7.3% of the world population use Facebook. I will concede that a vast number of those are probably in the so-called 'developed world', but even so this means that 92.7% of the world's population are NOT using Facebook.

Also, the figures are distorted by the creation of the online 'games' in Facebook, such as Petville etc. I already know of several people [mainly young people] who open alias Facebook accounts to enable them to obtain additional features within the game. So, if I know of several people doing this there will be others. How many will not be known. In other words, therefore, how many of the 500 million users are duplicate accounts of one person?

The percentage goes down!

Even triplicate or more? ;)

Of course the T&C are quite clear that it is one account only.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am only on it so I can nip in the bud idiots who tag me in photos without my persmission (happened to me last year and i was royally peed off).

I prefer Twitter.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I am only on it so I can nip in the bud idiots who tag me in photos without my persmission (happened to me last year and i was royally peed off).

I prefer Twitter.

Yes, that annoyed me when I used to be on Facebook. I hate having my ugly mug up photographed anyway, but being splashed all over the net isn't my idea of fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    How ironic is this thread to me as I just deleted my facebook account this morning. I just stopped deriving enjoyment out of reading about how supposedly fabulous everyone else's lives were. How great a time can everyone be having when they're constantly on facebook posting comments and uploading pictures? It's almost like some people think they're celebrities the way they carry on.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I always seem to join these things when they are just about to get popular..I was the same with twitter..joined and nothing was happening then I leave and everyone is on it..Facebook the same..joined as I had friends in far away lands who were on it and they raved about how good it was and then closed my account with nothing happening (not really closed..the minute u sign in again it's all there) then it's all the rage and everyone is on there and wondering why I'm not..even my teenage daughter is on there now after she used to call it a place for 'old people' to go :)
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Facebook is just getting started.

I'm waiting for them to make their targetted ads available to third party Web sites.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So evidence of a trend there. Personally I think it has lost focus. It was initially supposed to be a social networking sitebut now it tries to cater for everything.

It isnt Facebook that has peaked. It is just the way YOU use it. I personally think it is one of the best invention in the last 20 years. I keep in regular contact with relatives and friends all over the world and also use it for my business. To be honest, it is much more useful than the landline I have and will be here for a long time. A piece of expensive steak can taste shit if you dont cook it properly and the same goes for Facebook. It is all down to how the user uses it.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is really for University / party goers to piece together last night and in general to share photos.

The Academic or professional types can use linkedin to share contact details which is strictly professional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there always about 5 facebook threads going at any one time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    Why is there always about 5 facebook threads going at any one time?

That it because it has peaked! :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally hate facebook. I only keep my profile for the occasional booty call.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it really useful to share pics etc as I live abroad
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it ironic that a lot of people I know are now coming to the point of either deleting their facebook account, or seriously considering doing so, and the movie hasn't been out long (not seen it yet!) so I'm wondering.... is there a link between the plot of the movie and people wanting to leave Facebook?

has a movie managed to ruin the network????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    I find it ironic that a lot of people I know are now coming to the point of either deleting their facebook account, or seriously considering doing so, and the movie hasn't been out long (not seen it yet!) so I'm wondering.... is there a link between the plot of the movie and people wanting to leave Facebook?

Is there a movie about Facebook?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »

Doubt it.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Every dog has his day.

Myspace, Bebo, Friendsreunited.

Facebook will ultimately become unfashionable, because it is a fashion/lifestyle accessory rather than a necessity.

IMO, over the next few years we will inevitabley see a swing back to keeping your life private and offline in reaction to the info overload and voyeurism/narcissism we have today.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i tend to still use it daily but mainly for games
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Facebook useful

I think it will have a much longer shelf life than MySpace or Friends Reunited. The key points are things like Facebook chat.. it has taken over and superseded 10 years of Windows Live Messenger/MSN use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think how FB could be topped, I think it will be a round for a while.