Options

Does buying Christmas gifts make you feel good?

paulsmithfanpaulsmithfan Posts: 327
Forum Member
For me it's not the Christmas commercial frencey it's the choosing and thinking about the people you care for and who they are and what they are about, what is important to them....to me that's cool. It's not I spent £100 but rather you spent time thinking about them and what they would like. :D

:)

Comments

• Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it depends if any real thought has been put into it

unfortunately it just becomes 'expected' among those you're close to, i like/prefer giving little gifts to people who don't expect it [and getting them unexpectedly]
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup it does make you feel happy.

Funny thing is I don't realise how much usually till the day itself. One thing's for sure the flipside of forgetting someone or buying them an awful gift doesn't make me feel much good!
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love going around shops and spending time and putting thought into what I buy for my family and friends, and I usually end up spending a fortune - I've already bought about ten presents for my family, and that's only the shopping for my mum, sister and one present of a few for my brother, I've still got to get the rest for my brother, my dad's and my friends :D Nothing compares to the feeling of watching them open their presents on Christmas day though. I don't care about my presents, I just love being able to sit there handing out loads of presents to my mum and dad and my little brother and sister, and watching their faces as they open something I've put lots of thought into :) That makes my Christmases special for me. We don't have much money so I try to make sure, especially my little brother and sister, have plenty, even if it's only little presents, to open Christmas day.
  • Options
    paulsmithfanpaulsmithfan Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I love going around shops and spending time and putting thought into what I buy for my family and friends, and I usually end up spending a fortune - I've already bought about ten presents for my family, and that's only the shopping for my mum, sister and one present of a few for my brother, I've still got to get the rest for my brother, my dad's and my friends :D Nothing compares to the feeling of watching them open their presents on Christmas day though. I don't care about my presents, I just love being able to sit there handing out loads of presents to my mum and dad and my little brother and sister, and watching their faces as they open something I've put lots of thought into :) That makes my Christmases special for me. We don't have much money so I try to make sure, especially my little brother and sister, have plenty, even if it's only little presents, to open Christmas day.

Oh how cool! :)
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I love it, I'm just like Parsley, I don't care what I get, I get way more pleasure buying, wrapping and watching my kids open their pressies on Christmas morning. There's usually something that they both really really want, I usually poo poo the very idea and say it's unlikely they'll get it and they resign themselves to it, good naturedly I might add. To see their faces when they open a present to find it's the thing they really really want is truly awesome.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not any more ... I used to enjoy finding fun, obscure presents for people, a couple of years ago I bought flying lessons for two of my siblings - they never used the vouchers so that was €300+ down the drain, I gave someone else a gift voucher for €100 and she didn't give me anything ...

I can't be bothered any more and I just get them all whatever I find in a charity shop for a fiver.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I love it, I'm just like Parsley, I don't care what I get, I get way more pleasure buying, wrapping and watching my kids open their pressies on Christmas morning. There's usually something that they both really really want, I usually poo poo the very idea and say it's unlikely they'll get it and they resign themselves to it, good naturedly I might add. To see their faces when they open a present to find it's the thing they really really want is truly awesome.

aaaaHHHH! Lovely. How cute. Teaching your little darlings that whatever you say they know that when they pester the living daylights out of you, they get exactly what they want.

Great way to bring up kids!
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE finding ther exact right thing for family and friends. I LOVE to see their faces when I've got it right.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aaaaHHHH! Lovely. How cute. Teaching your little darlings that whatever you say they know that when they pester the living daylights out of you, they get exactly what they want.

seems you've misread
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    No, it's stressful :p
    I leave it extremely close to xmas day, which means town is heaving. Plus I'm a skint student so I can't spend as much as I'd like.

I like giving people their presents though, and seeing their reaction when they open it :)
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairy28 wrote: »
    No, it's stressful :p
    I leave it extremely close to xmas day, which means town is heaving. Plus I'm a skint student so I can't spend as much as I'd like.

I like giving people their presents though, and seeing their reaction when they open it :)

Do what I did many many years ago when I was really skint, I made cupcakes and biscuits and stuff and put them in cheap but fancy boxes with a bit of Christmassy ribbon round it. Everyone was dead impressed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I enjoy doing it, yes. The endless search of the right gift actually makes it even better for me, because when you do finally get that perfect gift it feels like a true achievement when the person you bought it for loves it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not buying Christmas gifts makes me feel good. :D
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I hate having to do it every year but have to buy them as I feel kids don't understand when u want to be a mean so and so..my brother in law one year was left in charge of buying the gifts and we all got a lottery card :)
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    I LOVE finding ther exact right thing for family and friends. I LOVE to see their faces when I've got it right.

This. :)

I hate trying to find presents for people because I'm rubbish at thinking of stuff...but when I've found something that I know they will love, I love giving it to them.
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im totally and utterly broke this year ive been buying things all year in sales as ive seen them and putting them aside ive explained my financial prediciment to friends and family and said id rather they didnt get me expensive gifts as i cant receprocate and would feel bad, little thoughtful things is more than enough for me now
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    This. :)

I hate trying to find presents for people because I'm rubbish at thinking of stuff...but when I've found something that I know they will love, I love giving it to them.

*snigger*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I do like Christmas shopping, i'm not one for shopping usually, not one for walking in every shop to see what i could buy.

However, really gets me in the Christmas mood and i love Christmas.

I have always said that it is the thought with presents that counts the most, and not the price tag.

I say the same to people though, if they are going to buy me a present, make it a well-thought out present, rather than something with a £xxx price label though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Hate it. Thank God for Boots' 3 for 2 offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally hate it. I do not really bother buying people presents. I just get together with my family have a meal and enjoy each others company. I find presents are an expensive pain in the backside to be honest.
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How badly did you misread that post? She said so herself, a present her kids have asked for, not pestered her for, and they've accepted it good naturedly, not pestered her, and she's given it to them.

Then again, I assume you're part of DS's Bah-Humbug-Brigade, who hate kids and think they shouldn't be given presents because we're all pestering, moaning, whining little idiots?
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I buy little presents for my wife and kids a lot of the time so Xmas doesn't really do it for me much.I find it all a little bit forced and everyone is expected to have a fantastic time.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make me feel really good. I buy pressies all year around, and i love giving them. I think long and hard about what i want to buy and i like seeing a receivers face when they open it.
  • Options
    Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

It is all about effort and care

it shows love
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oohh i do..you feel loads better afterwards :D