Knots Landing

Comments

• Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am waiting for season 2 to start. I cheated and watched the first season last week on DVD, so am awaiting season 2. I was a little apprehensive after the first few episodes, but then I started to really like it.

I also bought season 1 when it came out over here but that is my least favourite season as the stories got better and crazier later on. Some may watch the early shows and think they're boring but hopefully they'll stick for the later ones.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 1 mainly consisted of stand alone episodes, it was not till the end of season 2 that the show really found its feet.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valene1 wrote: »
    I also bought season 1 when it came out over here but that is my least favourite season as the stories got better and crazier later on. Some may watch the early shows and think they're boring but hopefully they'll stick for the later ones.

I did like the way the characters were slowly introduced though. The stand alone episodes allowed each character an in-depth introduction. But, you are right, it was a little slow in parts.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode today was good but mainly because it included JR doing what JR does best.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen season 1 before saw 2 and 3 on primetime, before it went to daytime here, enjoying it and looking forward to watching it get glossier and wilder, Valene has already started with the crazy arse hairstyles!
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I have never seen season 1 before saw 2 and 3 on primetime, before it went to daytime here, enjoying it and looking forward to watching it get glossier and wilder, Valene has already started with the crazy arse hairstyles!

Me too. I like to check out the fashion and interior decor, I used to think their homes were so plush back in the day.:o
    I always liked Laura's clothes, Karen's were quite good too but Valene's little girl dresses were so twee. I think it improved slightly as the series went along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode is a bit creepy I wonder if the BBC showed this when it was originally broadcast.

Was Knots Landing on lunchtimes when it was first shown on BBC-1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moontaker wrote: »
    Me too. I like to check out the fashion and interior decor, I used to think their homes were so plush back in the day.:o
    I always liked Laura's clothes, Karen's were quite good too but Valene's little girl dresses were so twee. I think it improved slightly as the series went along.

What really dates the show for me are the cars. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What really dates the show for me are the cars. :eek:

Yes, I noticed them too, fashion comes back round but cars keep evolving.

The Knots Landing lifestyle was compared to Dallas. I think that's why I liked it so much, I could imagine living in that close in that era, whereas Southfork was a world away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moontaker wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed them too, fashion comes back round but cars keep evolving.

The Knots Landing lifestyle was compared to Dallas. I think that's why I liked it so much, I could imagine living in that close in that era, whereas Southfork was a world away.

I agree with you. :) There's certainly more realism in Knots Landing (at the moment anyway) than there ever was in Dallas. Dallas was pure escapism for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    This episode is a bit creepy I wonder if the BBC showed this when it was originally broadcast.

Was Knots Landing on lunchtimes when it was first shown on BBC-1?

The first three seasons were on at night
  • tigraboitigraboi Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    While it lacks the addictive bite of the serialised/soapy format with cliffhangers in the first season compared to its later seasons and it's parent show Dallas, it's a lot more in-depth about the characters and their histories - you rarely get that with new shows nowadays. Friday's episode where you get to learn of Valene's back story, her relationship with her mother and how Lucy came to be taken from her was really good.

I'm (sadly) old enough to remember being allowed to stay up later on Friday nights to watch this show when I was young but haven't seen the early seasons since then (30-some years ago :eek:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's the dark old film which sometimes puts me off and the sound isn't the best but CBS had same issue with Dallas.

They did a neat trick not having Gary and Valene as the main characters using Michele Lee first in the titles they allowed all the couples in the close to have an equal part.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They did a neat trick not having Gary and Valene as the main characters using Michele Lee first in the titles they allowed all the couples in the close to have an equal part.
    It worked especially well on me.

Whenever i remembered the show it was always Greg Sumner first, followed by Abby, Paige, Mack & Karen that sprang to mind.

Despite being a spinoff from Dallas, the Ewings where never as interesting to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigraboi wrote: »
    While it lacks the addictive bite of the serialised/soapy format with cliffhangers in the first season compared to its later seasons and it's parent show Dallas, it's a lot more in-depth about the characters and their histories - you rarely get that with new shows nowadays. Friday's episode where you get to learn of Valene's back story, her relationship with her mother and how Lucy came to be taken from her was really good.

I'm (sadly) old enough to remember being allowed to stay up later on Friday nights to watch this show when I was young but haven't seen the early seasons since then (30-some years ago :eek:)

Tigraboi, I was even older, a young adult, hope that makes you feel better.:)

Anyone else find the rape episode confusing? She'd obviously been raped, 'date raped' even,I don't think that was recognised at the time. I found it odd how they betrayed her at the end, as a woman needing male attention, the implication seemed to be she'd asked for it. Or did I miss something, maybe I dozed off or the thing I missed was the point.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they started with the 'stand-alone' episodes? Dallas started the same way, but became more serialised in Season 2, just read that Steve Shaw who played Eric Fairgate died in a car crash at 25 in 1990.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I wonder why they started with the 'stand-alone' episodes? Dallas started the same way, but became more serialised in Season 2, just read that Steve Shaw who played Eric Fairgate died in a car crash at 25 in 1990.

I didn't know about Steve Shaw, very sad.

l'm getting in to it now. I thought the episode with Lucy coming home was interesting, espcially Kenny's swinging 70's party.I forgot Richard was such a sleeze, especially going after his neighbour's daughter.:eek:
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Last nights episode was very funny.

The music whenever the bikers appeared had me in hysterics.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last nights episode was very funny.

The music whenever the bikers appeared had me in hysterics.:D

The soft wimpy punches in the final scene were hilarious and how the bikers just gave in and were given a pasting.

Pity the tv guide gave away the part of the storyline at the end.
    Forum Member
    Bit of a faux pas by the CBS Drama continuity announcer last night before KL

"..and tensions rise in the MCKENZIE household when MACK'S ex-wife shows up"!!

Getting a bit ahead of themselves aren't they? :O
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I must have took some kind of funny pill because tonight's episode is freaking me out, dwarf singing telegrams & weird Arthur. I am not liking this one at all.
    Forum Member
    and a bit of double-take for 'old Dallas' fans tonight - Cliff and Pam's mother Rebecca Wentworth popping up in a guest part as Mrs Handelman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't understand what the Lieutenant was up to in the latest episode?
    Forum Member
    I didn't understand what the Lieutenant was up to in the latest episode?

Yea, seems there were a lot of creepy men in southern California in the late '70s judging by these early eps of KL - between Richard Avery, the bikers, the teacher last night and the aforementioned police detective I'm surprised any of these women found normal guys lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigraboi wrote: »
    Yea, seems there were a lot of creepy men in southern California in the late '70s judging by these early eps of KL - between Richard Avery, the bikers, the teacher last night and the aforementioned police detective I'm surprised any of these women found normal guys lol

Yes, there were more 'creepy men' in the 70s, there were very few boundaries and some men had little respect for women. Thankfully times have changed. But it's a good history lesson.

I'm still enjoying KL but these first episodes seem so different to the KL I remember, the biker one was pretty dire. When does Abby arrive?