XFM Scotland to Return

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
http://www.clashmusic.com/news/xfm-scotland-returns-to-the-airwaves

XFM originally came to Scotland back in 2006, part of a re-branding exercise to replace the much-missed Beat 106.

Boasting a wide-ranging roster of DJs, XFM Scotland enjoyed a short but memorable run before encountering difficulties during the summer of 2008.

Another re-branding exercise took the franchise off the air, with a number of original presenters deciding to depart from the station.

Now the XFM Scotland name is to return. Launching on April 7th, the line up includes Fraser Thomson, Jim Gellatly, Tom Russell and more.

XFM managing editor, Chris Baughen, said: "Coming back to Scotland after nearly six years away is huge for us. We’re really excited to be returning to our loyal listeners across the country. We’ll continue to support emerging Scottish bands, as well as XFM favourites from across indie, alternative and rock music."

XFM Scotland’s new Drivetime presenter Jim Gellatly added: "Some of the best moments of my career were on XFM Scotland so I’m over the moon to be joining the station again nearly six years on. When I got the call from Chris [Baughen], I didn't have to think twice. It feels like coming home for me."

XFM Scotland launches on April 7th.

Comments

• MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRILLIANT news!! Smashing Line-up!
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really chuffed that Jim's got a slot - I think I did predict it on a previous thread. With more and more networking from England on Bauer his show might have been at risk. Is Fraser on Your currently?

Presume it'll be on DAB across central Scotland? Be very odd having it back, and especially on 96.3, but I think it's great news for new music in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Really chuffed that Jim's got a slot - I think I did predict it on a previous thread. With more and more networking from England on Bauer his show might have been at risk. Is Fraser on Your currently?

Presume it'll be on DAB across central Scotland? Be very odd having it back, and especially on 96.3, but I think it's great news for new music in Scotland.

Yes, Fraser is on Your.

Pleased for them both.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good line-up there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fraser Thomson for breakfast, Jim Gellatly for drive, Tom Russell for weekend breakfast according to Radio Today. Do they need a few more local hours at weekends, or is that enough?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/date-set-for-the-return-of-xfm-scotland/
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    As much as I know XFM Scotland is back by default, as Global has got all its big stations in central Scotland and has no other rock stations, I'm delighted to see it return and very happy with the line-up. I hugely rate Fraser and he'll be back to playing the stuff he loves. I tried listening to him on Your but the playlist remains all over the place over there. Jim's return is good news. Tom's been marginalised but that was slightly inevitable given it's a new indie music station rather than classic rock. I'm glad he's still there though.

They won't need any other local hours as that meets the minimum quota for local programming within Scotland. It is however officially the local radio station for Paisley and Renfrewshire, rather than Glasgow, so Global will have to be careful to pay lip-service to the local area through news, sport, travel or gig news to keep themselves safe.

I suspect there will be a bit of an outcry once the classic rock fans realise what's happening to their station - Rock Radio and Real Radio XS attracted a small but hugely loyal and vocal audience. But beyond that I imagine the people listening to 96.3 will remain the same all the way from the Q96 era - people who just wanted an alternative to Clyde. It'll probably make a loss but makes sense for Global to hold onto it in case someone else comes in and makes a success of the frequency, and also to bolster XFM's national coverage.

Personally speaking Clyde and Real/Heart hold no great appeal for me, as much as they're good to dip into here and there and that they have to be that way to get an audience. But it'll be nice to hear something local and a bit more challenging as a compliment to my BBC network-dominated listening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »

I suspect there will be a bit of an outcry once the classic rock fans realise what's happening to their station - Rock Radio and Real Radio XS attracted a small but hugely loyal and vocal audience. But beyond that I imagine the people listening to 96.3 will remain the same all the way from the Q96 era - people who just wanted an alternative to Clyde. It'll probably make a loss but makes sense for Global to hold onto it in case someone else comes in and makes a success of the frequency, and also to bolster XFM's national coverage.

I agree that Rock Radio has an audience that'll certainly miss it. Communicorp might be smart to put 'XS' (or whatever they end up calling it in Manchester) on DAB up here.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that 96.3 listeners are just after an alternative to Clyde - why pick Rock Radio over Smooth/Real/BBC/Capital etc? No shortage of radio stations (analogue and digital) in Renfrewshire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, has either Tom or Real XS made the announcement of XFM coming back on air?

Wonder if Fraser and Jim make an appearance on Tom's breakfast show next week. (obvious/easy way of promoting XFM without having to interfere with the XS network).
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I know XFM Scotland is back by default, as Global has got all its big stations in central Scotland and has no other rock stations, I'm delighted to see it return and very happy with the line-up. I hugely rate Fraser and he'll be back to playing the stuff he loves..

Yup Fraser and Jim just as I predicted:) Happy days.

It's a great gig for both as they both love the music and it's also a safe as houses gig that isn't at risk from network creep or cutbacks.

Ratings won't be an issue either as I imagine there is no expectation. It will enjoy a small and very loyal audience and allow the network to boast London, Manchester and Glasgow....3 key cities for music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought, are they keeping XFM in the current Real XS studios or building new studios at Capital?

(if not, Are global planning to move Capital in with Real & Smooth Scotland?)

Edit: XS have broke the news to their fans via facebook.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Until I scanned my DAB radio the other day I noticed XFM I never realised it was still on air. Does it actually have many listeners?
    Forum Member
    Edit: XS have broke the news to their fans via facebook.

And just like when XFM took over from Beat 106, it's been taken very well. :)

At least this time round Global have had the maturity to tell their listeners in advance what's going on. In the case of Beat 106 listeners were only told hours before the station's demise that it was a goner.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Until I scanned my DAB radio the other day I noticed XFM I never realised it was still on air. Does it actually have many listeners?
    According to http://www.thisisglobal.com/radio/heart-fm/audience/#stats
    929,000 people tune into Xfm each week, and 71% of those are in the ABC1 bracket.
    Modern rock has not been doing well in recent record sales charts, but has many dedicated fans.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    929000 wishful thinking or what.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    440k London TSA, 199k Manchester TSA and 290k out of TSA digital listening, not sure if this includes the 70k Glasgow Real XS listeners which could take it almost 1M?
    XFM as a national station with nearly a million listeners (mostly ABC1s to keep ad agencies happy) could do well with national ads and make a profit which will help XFM Scotland be a success?
    Some Classic rock listeners may go to Planetrock, Teamrock or even Eklipse if it gets on air, but maybe not many?
    Chicas wrote: »
    Boasting a wide-ranging roster of DJs, XFM Scotland enjoyed a short but memorable run before encountering difficulties during the summer of 2008.
    Hopefully Global won't make the same mistakes GCAP did in 2008 where the station lost listeners rapidly?
    Global are now into digital radio and hopefully will promote XFM across all central Scotland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never thought that Tom Russell's Friday Night Rock show (which is being axed) has a HUGE following! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Tom-Russells-Friday-Night-Rock-Show/481332871996310
    Forum Member
    So how is the transition between Real XS and XFM going to be handled? Are they just going to switch the network feed off just before 6am on Monday and switch to XFM? Given how XFM 106.1 fell off the air to be replaced by Galaxy many moons ago you wouldn't rule it out. I suspect this is very much a side project for Global as it gears up for the introduction of Heart. In a similar way to XFM switching to Galaxy there's no real opportunity to phase in the new style of music as most of the programming is networked, and Manchester is to remain the same.

There are other issues to be resolved. Obviously Tom Russell is going to XFM weekend breakfast, which strikes me as a completely sensible solution (keeps a broadcasting legend on the air, who will urge his listeners to stick with the frequency, but wouldn't fit the general daytime sound of the new station). Does David Grant's show come from Glasgow, and if so what happens there? Obviously Russell's rock show is a goner, which seems a shame, but I suppose Real XS Manchester is now part of a different company.

The switch has been handled in a mature way, with Tom basically telling people the station had been bought, it was changing format, there would be new presenters and they'd be playing some of the songs from Real XS but assuring the listeners there would be "nae pop". Which strikes me as exactly what you need to say to encourage that audience to give it a chance, as difficult as the transition will be. I've dipped into the station in the last week and actually found it a refreshing listen, as much as classic rock isn't my normal sound - less gimmicks and no enforced cheeriness unlike most breakfast shows, and some decent songs I otherwise wouldn't have come across. He's into the last 10 minutes of the final breakfast show before the switch now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how is the transition between Real XS and XFM going to be handled? Are they just going to switch the network feed off just before 6am on Monday and switch to XFM? Given how XFM 106.1 fell off the air to be replaced by Galaxy many moons ago you wouldn't rule it out. I suspect this is very much a side project for Global as it gears up for the introduction of Heart. In a similar way to XFM switching to Galaxy there's no real opportunity to phase in the new style of music as most of the programming is networked, and Manchester is to remain the same.

There are other issues to be resolved. Obviously Tom Russell is going to XFM weekend breakfast, which strikes me as a completely sensible solution (keeps a broadcasting legend on the air, who will urge his listeners to stick with the frequency, but wouldn't fit the general daytime sound of the new station). Does David Grant's show come from Glasgow, and if so what happens there? Obviously Russell's rock show is a goner, which seems a shame, but I suppose Real XS Manchester is now part of a different company.

The switch has been handled in a mature way, with Tom basically telling people the station had been bought, it was changing format, there would be new presenters and they'd be playing some of the songs from Real XS but assuring the listeners there would be "nae pop". Which strikes me as exactly what you need to say to encourage that audience to give it a chance, as difficult as the transition will be. I've dipped into the station in the last week and actually found it a refreshing listen, as much as classic rock isn't my normal sound - less gimmicks and no enforced cheeriness unlike most breakfast shows, and some decent songs I otherwise wouldn't have come across. He's into the last 10 minutes of the final breakfast show before the switch now.

Well apparently today IS the last day of XS... Are they planning to re-air the X-List?
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,357
    Forum Member
    Real XS has now closed with Tom Russell giving his last link at around 2345.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    Real XS Glasgow has now closed with Tom Russell giving his last link at around 2345.

Was there a pre-launch XFM trailer after Tom's final show went to air? I assume that the music gives the tech team time to switch satellite signals and software over the weekend?

Listening in, it sounds like the music is played out manually with overnight folk in the studio (notice the few fade jolts when a new track starts and levels).
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,357
    Forum Member
    The first XFM-related sweeper, heard around midnight, was to plug their mobile app.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    Radio Today have the final link. Slightly unfortunate as the jingle only half-plays before being interrupted, but a nice sign-off, although to all intents and purposes Tom said his big final farewells prior to the end of his last daytime breakfast show. A shame also to cut the show short. I can't imagine it would have made much of a difference to let it run to 1am as usual - there wasn't some massive countdown at midnight.
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/04/this-is-the-last-link-on-real-xs-glasgow/

As a matter of interest, was Tom Russell's rock show networked to Manchester?

Looking forward to the new XFM and hoping that it can reinvigorate my interest in indie and alternative music after quite a few years when nothing has really caught my attention. I do hope, however, that it doesn't fall into the trap of the previous XFM towards the end which started going down a "my music is better than your music" route which just alienates casual listeners (which they really need). It's why I struggle to leave Radio 1, which plays a ton of new music but accepts that good pop music also exists. XFM obviously can't play pop but daily barbs at stuff in the chart will just send me back to Radio 1. Not everything that is indie is perfect and not everything that is pop is terrible.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fairly pointless trying to define alternative music, but Xfm's interpretation of the term must be one of the narrowest. 6 Music, P6 Beat, FM4, KCRW, KALX and many other stations all play a wider variety. I still enjoy the breakfast show (Jon Holmes in London) but there are days when every single song he plays sounds the same. How alternative is that?
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's fairly pointless trying to define alternative music, but Xfm's interpretation of the term must be one of the narrowest. 6 Music, P6 Beat, FM4, KCRW, KALX and many other stations all play a wider variety. I still enjoy the breakfast show (Jon Holmes in London) but there are days when every single song he plays sounds the same. How alternative is that?

XFM has quite a few problems at the moment. 6 Music has swept in and stolen its act, and indeed many of its presenters, from when it was an excellent listen. Also, as you say, defining alternative music is a difficult thing. In the 90s there was an accepted commercial idea of what constituted indie whereas nowadays it's a bit trickier to pin it down. Also, guitar music in general is in decline commercially, and XFM relies on the genre at least having some sort of mainstream presence to bring in casual listeners (you start listening to Oasis, you try out the Manics, you then find a lot of more exciting alternative stuff out there - that was my previous route in)

Personally I'll be giving XFM Scotland (well, Paisley and most of Glasgow) a chance because I like the presenters and I like the idea that in local commercial radio I'll have something that challenges me a little. I know why Clyde and Heart have to play it safe but I feel completely out of the loop musically if I listen to them, whereas Radio 1 will always introduce me to something, or challenge me a little, without alienating me completely.