B&Q to close stores

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• originalboboriginalbob Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Not really surprised. Went into my local B&Q a while back to price up some kitchen units and wanted a design running up based on a rough draft I had on me. The two members of staff sitting there doing not a lot and gossiping amongst themselves just didn't want to know. I walked out and across the road to a local kitchen supply company who did what I needed on the spot. Guess who got the £2k worth of business...
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think there are probably many factors involved, the current recycle/upcycle trend for one.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think there are probably many factors involved, the current recycle/upcycle trend for one.

I think a lot has to do with the bedroom tax too. As soon as they rolled out this mad bit of legislation I told people that they hadn't properly thought out the effect that the policy would have on the DIY industry.

Who wants to spend money on decorating their homes when they are not sure if they are allowed to be living in them for much longer.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised. I think they are feeling the pinch from online sales. They have been moving their emphasis away from DiY toward home furnishings. I think the margins on DiY are just too thin for them. Homebase have already done the same thing. I think that only leaves Wickes as a large 'proper' DiY store.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

If you got off your anti Tory pro Labour soapbox and read into the story you would find the following:

Kingfisher made a pretax profit of 675 million pounds in the year to Jan. 31.

That was in line with analysts' average forecast of 674 million pounds but down from 744 million a year earlier.

The fall in profit reflected a slower market in France since the summer of 2014, 34 million pounds of adverse foreign exchange movements on the translation of non-sterling profits and 22 million pounds in charges for new country development activity.

Sales rose 2.9 percent on a constant currency basis to 10.97 billion pounds.

Kingfisher ended the year with net cash of 329 million pounds and is paying a dividend of 10 pence a share, up 1 percent. It also plans to return a further 200 million pounds to investors during the 2015-16 year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The economy hasn't improved to anywhere near the extent that it would require to make huge swathes of people give up DIY and just get tradesmen in instead. It's a pretty poor attempt at spin from The Times.

B&Q are relatively expensive in their market, have a fairly poor website, and their delivery service can't even narrow down a slot to either the morning or afternoon. There's three major problems, right there.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    pope_tart wrote: »
    I think a lot has to do with the bedroom tax too. As soon as they rolled out this mad bit of legislation I told people that they hadn't properly thought out the effect that the policy would have on the DIY industry.

Who wants to spend money on decorating their homes when they are not sure if they are allowed to be living in them for much longer.

yes i agree.

the impact upon the quality of social housing stock is also starting to show, same reasons. people used to make proper improvements - walls knocked down, garden doors installed, well kept gardens, driveways, a better kitchen and bathroom than the council......... not going to happen so much now and areas will become run down for it.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    The economy hasn't improved to anywhere near the extent that it would require to make huge swathes of people give up DIY and just get tradesmen in instead. It's a pretty poor attempt at spin from The Times.

B&Q are relatively expensive in their market, have a fairly poor website, and their delivery service can't even narrow down a slot to either the morning or afternoon. There's three major problems, right there.

For God sake the bedroom tax only affects people who live in council or Housing Association properties and claim housing benefit hardly a huge amount of people and certainly if they are on HB they likely would likely not be spending money doing up their home anyway,

What a ridiculous statement to make the b&q are suddenly falling victim to a tax that affects very few who wouldn't have the money anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    For God sake the bedroom tax only affects people who live in council or Housing Association properties and claim housing benefit hardly a huge amount of people and certainly if they are on HB they likely would likely not be spending money doing up their home anyway,

What a ridiculous statement to make the b&q are suddenly falling victim to a tax that affects very few who wouldn't have the money anyway.

Yeah. Silly me. :confused:
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you got off your anti Tory pro Labour soapbox and read into the story you would find the following:

Kingfisher made a pretax profit of 675 million pounds in the year to Jan. 31.

That was in line with analysts' average forecast of 674 million pounds but down from 744 million a year earlier.

The fall in profit reflected a slower market in France since the summer of 2014, 34 million pounds of adverse foreign exchange movements on the translation of non-sterling profits and 22 million pounds in charges for new country development activity.

Sales rose 2.9 percent on a constant currency basis to 10.97 billion pounds.

Kingfisher ended the year with net cash of 329 million pounds and is paying a dividend of 10 pence a share, up 1 percent. It also plans to return a further 200 million pounds to investors during the 2015-16 year.
    What does any of that have to do with closing stores?

Recovering economy means people pay someone to do the work rather than doing it themselves. Therefore less demand in stores, therefore fewer stores needed.

Simples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given the rise in BTL there are fewer homes where anything but minimal DIY is an option.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Given the rise in BTL there are fewer homes where anything but minimal DIY is an option.

That is a good point were homeowner would be spending thousand to get a home of thier making, BTL landlords will only be doing and spending minimal amounts.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am in social housing, I spent almost £400 on my computer room, I was on the verge of doing my bedroom and hallway before I became ill.
    I would have got HB if it was not for the bedroom tax, not a lot but a little bit. I am getting some now anyway due to being on the sick.
    I may not be spending £2k or more put a new kitchen in, but still a fair bit considering the house is not mine.

I am not saying the Bedroom tax is the problem with B&Q, just saying do not think that just because we rent we do not spend money on decorating.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as i'd love to blame this on the bedroom tax, its more likely due to Kingfisher realizing you don't need so many small branches when the cheaper option is the warehouse with a trade counter that is Screwfix.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Kingfisher owned UK Woolworths and during the 1980s closed a lot of smaller stores that weren't far from a main, larger store.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    As much as i'd love to blame this on the bedroom tax, its more likely due to Kingfisher realizing you don't need so many small branches when the cheaper option is the warehouse with a trade counter that is Screwfix.

Agree.

Screwfix the DIY/Trade retailer is part of the Kingfisher group; Screwfix has been expanding rapidly in recent years and now has approx.400 sites.

Screwfix/Toolstation is always my first port of call for that sort of stuff; a few as years ago it would have been B&Q/Wickes etc.

Thread trivia; The Goddard-Watts family sold Screwfix to Kingfisher in 1999; the same family founded Toolstation in 2003 and sold it to ‘Travis Perkins’ in 2012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Agree.

Screwfix the DIY/Trade retailer is part of the Kingfisher group; Screwfix has been expanding rapidly in recent years and now has approx.400 sites.

Screwfix/Toolstation is always my first port of call for that sort of stuff; a few as years ago it would have been B&Q, Wickes etc.

Screwfix is great if you know where what you want is in the catalogue. But if you don't it can be a PITA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »

Planning to open around 60 new Screwfix stores.

Well played, sir - well played!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32126970
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes economic sense to have stores like Screwfix that work on the same principle as Argos. Less staff, less space, less business rates. A massive B & Q store takes up miles more land than a Screwfix outlet. Buying from the catalogue is no different than buying from a web page or click and collect at the supermarket. The only difference is you can go and collect the goods rather than wait for them to be delivered.

I can see other business going down the same route: why pay for a massive store when you can just have a warehouse.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    How gloomy :(

I really hope my local B&Q doesn't close as I buy lots of things there. It also has a decent garden centre section.

I also support independent DIY/hardware stores like Charlie's:

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/diy-trade-tools

which will obviously get all my custom if B&Q closes.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wouldnt be surprised if yoir b and q in filton, bristol doesnt get closed down, ut was a very big store when it first opened, it opened as a b and q, but it was going to be a homebase, it actually had the homebase branding on the store, but never opened as a homebase.

but then a bigger store opened up at cribbs causeway, the filton store hasnt gone down in size, but has loads of empty space
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screwfix is great if you know where what you want is in the catalogue. But if you don't it can be a PITA.

True - their website is woeful. I know they have what I want, if only I could work out how to find it>:(
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Two main reasons. People don't routinely carry out DIY as previous generations did - they are more likely to call in tradesmen. Secondly there are far fewer young couples buying houses and improving them - so many now have to rent
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they should do more gimmick type sales like half price wood & nails during easter. Sure it would cause faux daily mail type outrage, but it's still publicity. :D
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is B&Q as a store brand can't compete against sister companies like Screwfix and such.

B&Q is convenient for many but expensive, even their trade depo' prices aren't cheap.

Wickes on the other hand is ostensibly a builders merchant and keep their prices relatively keen.

If you were fully renovating a property, the last place you would buy,--price wise--is B&Q.

B&Q have been falling behind for some time.