Options

Hollyoaks - Tony 'Pervert' Storyline

Comments

• Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Well that's because the BBC worked for months with the NSPCC to make sure EastEnders got it right. This is why watching Tony perv and groom up Lauren is so uneasy to watch. Hollyoaks just seem to have gone for a quick shock storyline with their's, but these things do happen so anything that raises awareness is good.

These two storylines are in no way related, or even similar.

One is an adult seeking out a child to manipulate and groom, for sexual related purposes.

One meets a female in a nightclub, the female lies about her age, the adult thinks he's in the company of another adult, only later the adult is charged with sexual related offenses with a minor.

both shocking, but both very different.
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    davedub wrote: »
    they have the worst memories in hollyoaks village it will all be forgotten about by christmas:)
    In true HO style, you're right :D.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We aren't supposed to like it. If it's making you feel uncomfortable, that means it's a job well done.

It's raising awareness on a very real issue and so far EE are doing a great job. I don't normally agree with the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" type of comment but I think in this case, if you don't want to be educated about something very real, the off button is there for you to use. I personally welcome a chance to learn something new about people and psychology.
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    That'l be two Tony perverts we've got in two soaps. Did they do some kind of analysis and work out that most peados are called Tony or sumin? I feel sorry for anyone called Tony quite frankly.

As for the Hollyoaks storyline, it's very unbelievable. First off most girls are having sex before the age of 16 in this country and second off if the girl is over 14 and it's consensual it's not against the law and the police wouldn't get involved.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    It's showing how spiteful the McQueens are, Jacqui's no saint by any means. In her eyes she expected him to be endlessly waiting for her, despite the mixed signals.

regardless of her being in the club u could tell she was still in school. and a man of his age should not be anywhere near school girls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regardless of her being in the club u could tell she was still in school. and a man of his age should not be anywhere near school girls.
    Because of the uniform? :D
  • Options
    MelanieSouthallMelanieSouthall Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's hot, thats the main thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    That'l be two Tony perverts we've got in two soaps. Did they do some kind of analysis and work out that most peados are called Tony or sumin? I feel sorry for anyone called Tony quite frankly.

As for the Hollyoaks storyline, it's very unbelievable. First off most girls are having sex before the age of 16 in this country and second off if the girl is over 14 and it's consensual it's not against the law and the police wouldn't get involved.

agreed on the first part...but yeah most girls have had sex before the age of 16 but that doesn't make it legal. however the age of consent is 16 so anyone having sex under the age of, or with someone under the age of 16 is commiting a crime.
    obviously the police aren't that bothered by two teenagers the same age or with a slight age gap as there isn't a charge really. but an 18yrold and say a 14yrold could be a problem. under the age of 12 is statuory rape and it doesnt matter whether the adult wasn't aware of the age and the child admits it. its there for a reason but its sad really. i know some 12 yrolds who could pass for 16 and that is ****ed if some poor bloke didnt realise. that said laws exist for a reason. can't help thinking they are treating tony like she was 12 though.
    i suppose because the age gap is large.
    makes you think though...its illegal for a 20 yr old to sleep with a 15yr old. but a 16 yr old and a 42yr old is legal but probably more taboo.
    i didnt really watch the HOL episode in full...is theresa telling the truth? did she sleep with tony? coz i am inclined to believe him (that nothing happened) and it would be incredibly stupid for him to lie blatantly like that (and it makes more sense for her to in revenge for rejection). i can see why everyone would believe theresa though, with her liquid bambi eyes lol. but then what happened?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The whole thing has been dreamt up and rushed through because Nick Pickard is doing Panto in Liverpool this year and they need to write him out for a while as for Theresa im liking her she may just of saved the Mcqueens as the only other decent one is Michs, Myra, Carmel, and jackie are dire now Tina was never much cop and they wrecked JP before he left.
  • Options
    MelanieSouthallMelanieSouthall Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theresa is telling the truth, they had sex.
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    She is but she is also lying about the fact she told Tony her age which she didn't. She got away with it because it was school night at the loft.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member

I don't think you've got that right. I'm pretty certain that the age of consent is 16. Maybe if the guy was 16 and the girl was 15 they might turn a blind eye but not at Tony's age. The thing is though, like others have said, she was in a club that was meant to be for 18 year olds only and it didn't help that everyone was dressed in school uniform either
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    didnt really watch the HOL episode in full...is theresa telling the truth? did she sleep with tony? coz i am inclined to believe him (that nothing happened) and it would be incredibly stupid for him to lie blatantly like that (and it makes more sense for her to in revenge for rejection). i can see why everyone would believe theresa though, with her liquid bambi eyes lol. but then what happened?

I believed him at first but then I'm sure he spoke to Mandy and confirmed it happened which, if proven, or he backtracks his story and admits it, is going to look very bad on his part. Though coming out and saying 'i slept with her' would have been suicide too. The thing Theresa was lying about (i think) is when she told him upfront she was 15. I can't see Tony, no matter how drunk, still going with her if she told him that.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Its mostly annoying to watch because there is no way Tonys lawyer would allow the interview to continue after finding out about Marks involvement with Jaqui. Its a conflict of interest.

That is how Tony could get out of it though of course, if the conflict of interest stuff came out in court its possible the entire case would have to be thrown out.

The whole daft storyline is I think a cack handed way of writing Tony out for a few months cos Nick is doing panto!

The whole things is stupid. She was at an adult nightclub, she threw herself on him and willingly had sex. From what I can gather - not having seen it - the EE storyline has a man abusing a 15 year old against her wil. A million miles away from this rubbish.

And she's nearly 16 anyway! Is that really considered child abuse these days when she was willing? And loads of under 16's have sex with over 16's these days. Sign of the times.

And this girls indignant aunt Myra had had 3 kids by the time she was 16, so the McQueens are being as vile as ever turning this into a 'crime'

The whole storyline is pathetic. As has been pointed out, the cop interrogating him has shagged his girlfriend - yet he's allowed to sneer at him for what he did.
    And of course, it WAS a nightclub that a 15 year old had no right being in. The whole school disco thing was obviously dreamed up for this storyline cos there is no way TOny would have had sex with a 15 year old if he hadn't assumed, like all of them, they were adults dressing as schoolkids for the night.

It's just a pathetic way of getting rid of Tony for a few months for Nicks' panto, but as characters regularly disappear in HO for endless weeks on end and no one notices, why bother coming up with this embarrassment of a storyline? Why not just write him out. No one would notice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inthepink wrote: »

coz i am inclined to believe him (that nothing happened) and it would be incredibly stupid for him to lie blatantly like that (and it makes more sense for her to in revenge for rejection). i can see why everyone would believe theresa though, with her liquid bambi eyes lol. but then what happened?

You saw them walking towards the bedroom kissing and tearing each others clothes off. As just going into a bedroom is proof in a soap that sex happened, then sex definitely happened.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen on this storyline. But to me it shows the McQueens in a bad light not Tony. I wish he would just say to Jacqui that he met Theresa in a club when it was a school disco night so every one was wearing school uniform.

Jacqui knows Tony wouldn't do that. I think she believes him, but is just punishing him because she is so hurt. To be honest it will probably result in re-uniting Tony and Jacqui.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    friggy98 wrote: »

The whole thing has been dreamt up and rushed through because Nick Pickard is doing Panto in Liverpool this year and they need to write him out for a while as for Theresa im liking her she may just of saved the Mcqueens as the only other decent one is Michs, Myra, Carmel, and jackie are dire now Tina was never much cop and they wrecked JP before he left.
    Indeed. But as I've just said, characters in HO, different to any other soap, often disappear for a couple of months and no one comments on it!

I started watching HO in June 2007 for the JP/Craig storyline. I had never watched before, had no idea who the people in the opening credits were, and it was a good couple of months before I'd SEEN everyone in the credits appear on screen. WHich is why, instead of this rubbish, they could have just had him not appear and no one would haved said a thing! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He didn't think he WAS near a schoolgirl. He assumed she was a grown woman dressing as schoolgirl for the night as all the other females in the club that night were.

That's the only reason they dreamt up that school night thing, cos there is no way he'd have touched her if he'd seen her in school uniform during the day!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Tony's not a pervert! lol. The EE one is a dangerous paedophile by the sound of it, and has been for some time.

HO Tony met what he thought was a woman in a nightclub and slept with her, like millions of men and women do with someone they meet in a nightclub.

Anyway, in real life, a girl almost 16, throwing herself at an older bloke and having sex with him - who even blinks twice?

16 is the legal age of consent but no one really bothers about it these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it nearly made me cry yesterdays E4 one, because the scene where he looked after Holly reminded me what a nice genuinely kind fatherly type he is, so it was heartbreaking to see him shouted at by Sindy saying he is a perv etc... the whole thing is winding me up!! poor Tony :(

just as I was starting to have some sympathy for Jacqui!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    You saw them walking towards the bedroom kissing and tearing each others clothes off. As just going into a bedroom is proof in a soap that sex happened, then sex definitely happened.

and the fact that theresa came and told him it was her first time :rolleyes: we all saw the bit also where calvin TOLD him to pretend he didnt as nothing can be proven
  • Options
    kerijkerij Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Yes, they slept together.

Calvin advised Tony that he should deny it, purely because it'd then be his word against hers that it happened. Therefore may be more likely that Tony would "get away with it".

As has also been pointed out twice The only reason the police are pursuing it, is that Theresa has made a statement claiming she told Tony her age before they had sex. Therefore meaning he knowingly had sex with a minor.

I also don't like the story. It will ruin Tony's character permanently. It's been taken too far out of Jacqui's spite. Unfortunately I don't doubt that it happens more than we may think in the real world too.

Originally Tony only invited her back to his flat to wait in the warm and dry for her taxi.

I wonder if Warren should be getting a warning of some kind for allowing an under 18 into his club?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it nearly made me cry yesterdays E4 one, because the scene where he looked after Holly reminded me what a nice genuinely kind fatherly type he is, so it was heartbreaking to see him shouted at by Sindy saying he is a perv etc... the whole thing is winding me up!! poor Tony :(

just as I was starting to have some sympathy for Jacqui!!

You could see that scene coming 50 miles away. I didn't see when Cindy turned up, I just saw a couple of minutes of when Holly started talking to Tony, but I knew what was coming, it was obvious Cindy would come out with something stupidly over the top but predictable.

And Cindy's weird anyway. I thought Holly was her sister when I first saw them cos she calls her 'Cindy' not Mum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kerij wrote: »

I wonder if Warren should be getting a warning of some kind for allowing an under 18 into his club?

Don't be daft! lol The whole point of this cack handed storyline is to have Tony guilty and get rid of him for a few months so Nick can do his panto.

Considering Tony was interrogated by an arrogant sneering copper who shagged his girlfriend which would NOT happen in real life ... it shows how little HO care about making any of this realistic.

Just like no one will say anything about a 15 year old going to a nightclub and pretending to be older, lying and saying she's at Uni in order to get off with an older man.

It's all a case of ignore reality, just get rid of Tony in a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Jmoo wrote: »
    I don't like it :( I know what Tony did was wrong, but I hate the way every man is instantly considered a pervert in those ways these days. And the way the police bully them. E4's episode just seemed quite upsetting.

I think its upsetting but I like the way there taclking it cause its shows two sides to the story, whereas when you hear stuff like this in the media its only one side you hear.