Mumps

2»

Comments

• ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    This is gonna sound really stupid but why are mumps worse in males then females? :o

The chap's neck isn't the only thing that can swell horribly...:eek:

Had mumps myself as a child... It was absolutely horrendous and I was ill for weeks with it...
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    I had it as a kid, it was pretty ewwy. :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never had mumps, and I've never been vaccinated either. So I am relying on herd immunity to stop me catching it, and a bit of luck. As my brother had mumps in his late teens (after puberty)... and yes his testicles swelled up in pain. And just to reassure any other guys who get it in adulthood, that infertility is actually quite a rare consequence - he now has two kids of his own.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had mumps as a child .6 weeks later i went down with German measles because of low immune system . As an adult every time i fell pregnant the midwives would tell me i needed the measles jab. even when i told them i didn't need it as i had already had German measles . They never wouldn't believe me until the blood tests came back .
    when my own kids were younger we had all the illness parties .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Aww, you have my sympathy. I had it about 2 years ago & I was vaccinated.
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    I had mumps last year and it was absolutely horrendous! The pain was incredible and I couldn't believe how something that I thought was a trivial infection could be so bloody painful.

My neck was all swollen and I ended up with a scarf wrapped round my head because it helped to relieve some of the pain. It took about three weeks before I felt well again.

I still don't know where I got it from, though, as no-one else had it and no-one had met anyone who had it. I must have just picked it up in a shop or on the bus or somewhere.

If anyone wants to know more about mumps see here. http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733851374?p=1191942172905

It's interesting to note that 90% of cases in 2004 affected people aged over 15!
  • Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Loads of people in my flat / circle of friends have had it recently but as far as I know I've had my MMR jab so should be ok shouldn't I?
  • ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumps made me deaf in one ear :(