Options

Damn Snow!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    It's mainly the amount of snow in the clouds not always the falling snow that blocks the microwave signals from the satellite :(

So you could lose the signal and have no snow falling at all.

Yes, again perfectly normal - it's NOT at the transmission site.

I was happily watching a programme one day and over the course of about a minute I saw the signal fade completely away. So presuming snow I looked out the front window - clear skys and sunny?. So I presumed a large bird sat on the LNB arm or something, so went out back where the dish is to have a look.

No bird on the dish, but out back the sky was as black as anything, massive thick clouds full of snow - and over the next half hour huge amounts of snow fell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevejk75 wrote: »
    I had the no satellite signal this morning at five.So i looked at the lnb it was covered in snow.So i went upstairs to the spare bedroom with a soft broom, lent out of the window and gently brushed the lnb.The signal came back straight away.

I had a similar problem here in Leicester. The signal was near perfect during the heavy snowfall on Saturday, but once some snow had settled on the dish and LNB the signal dropped completely.

Leaning out of the window with a soft brush fixed it. With more snow on the way, I'm going to try the WD-40 trick!
  • Options
    MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone retail Satelite sheilds
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MGBCTV wrote: »
    Does anyone retail Satelite sheilds

Better still I have just fixed above the dish on the wall a 3kw electric fan heater, this is connected up to a frost stat so when it gets to 2C it will switch on and warm the dish up automatically. Since I fixed it up it has not yet got cold enough to switch it on. I always think up some brilliant ideas:D
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Better still I have just fixed above the dish on the wall a 3kw electric fan heater, this is connected up to a frost stat so when it gets to 2C it will switch on and warm the dish up automatically. Since I fixed it up it has not yet got cold enough to switch it on. I always think up some brilliant ideas:D

I suspect the snow would quickly be replaced by shivering birds!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can’t say I had too much of a problem with my size of prime focus dish.

I would like to recommend Autoglym Silicone Spray over WD40.
    You can also use this on the rubber gaskets on your car doors to stop them freezing shut.
    Has a nice apple smell now too.
    You can get this reasonably cheap at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-SiliconeSpray/dp/B00115EQY4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328816676&sr=8-2

Of course putting anything like this on your dish will absorb rather than reflect the microwave energy from the Astra satellites just like bird shit.