Options

Embarressing English people on St Patricks day.

Comments

• Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    There's definitely a whiff of jealousy amongst some English posters here, regarding the American interest, almost like they aren't as popular and can't figure out why!

*Honestly guys its a bit of fun it really doesn't matter.

By no means.

If anything it might be the Irish thinking they are so loved when maybe they ovestimate.

The standard view of an Irishmen amongst dimmer Americans (unfortunately there are a good few of those) if of a drunken brawler.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason Saint Patrick`s Day is far better known than the other Saints days is I think because the religious aspect is still relevant. I honestly have no idea what date George/Andrew/David`s feast days are. Catholics still go to Mass on that Holy Day( that`s where the word holiday originated from) so it is still important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's definitely a whiff of jealousy amongst some English posters here, regarding the American interest, almost like they aren't as popular and can't figure out why!

No I don't think it's that. I was speaking to an 'Irish' woman on a gossip forum for ages, and asked if she lived in the States as she always used American vocab. Then I found out she is from the States and has never even visited Ireland. She couldn't fit Irish American in the location box so just went with Irish. It's weird (and also just a lazy way of trying to appear interesting imo)! She was so proud to be Irish but she was ignorant of Irish history, didn't even know who the Taoiseach is, and had no intention of visiting Ireland.

I have two Irish great grandfathers, one on my Mum's side, one on my Dad's, which apparently makes me Irish as well:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    The reason Saint Patrick`s Day is far better known than the other Saints days is I think because the religious aspect is still relevant. I honestly have no idea what date George/Andrew/David`s feast days are. Catholics still go to Mass on that Holy Day( that`s where the word holiday originated from) so it is still important.

You don't think it's because it's the only day people get to dress like leprauchauns and drink till they pass out?:D
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    No I don't think it's that. I was speaking to an 'Irish' woman on a gossip forum for ages, and asked if she lived in the States as she always used American vocab. Then I found out she is from the States and has never even visited Ireland. She couldn't fit Irish American in the location box so just went with Irish. It's weird (and also just a lazy way of trying to appear interesting imo)! She was so proud to be Irish but she was ignorant of Irish history, didn't even know who the Taoiseach is, and had no intention of visiting Ireland.

I have two Irish great grandfathers, one on my Mum's side, one on my Dad's, which apparently makes me Irish as well:rolleyes:

Indeed, that would entitle you to an Irish passport, failing that you can get them free in packs of corn flakes from time to time:)
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Yep I have Irish blood, my nana was Irish yet I do not feel the need to celebrate today. I am English because I was born and brought up here. What gets my goat is Americans who call themselves Irish-Americans because their great great great x 10 million half uncle once brushed past an Irish person in 1784 or something. You are not Irish-American, you are just American! Fgs.

Totally agree with this, my Grandad was Irish, it does not make me Irish in any way, I was born and brought up in England, I am English.
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, as an Englishman who has been to America several times I can tell you they love the English. Well the British, walk into a shop/bar/garage etc outside the main tourist areas and you'll hear "Hey are you British,..Ooh thats so cool" literally 100 times a day.

In the bars off the tourist track you'll never have to buy a drink, I've been invited to dinner at peoples homes, I've been invited to stop at peoples homes, I've even been invited to someones daughters graduation.

If only Australia was so impressed with the English accent:D:D. All you get there is short changed and dirty looks ...KIDDING!!!! I'm kidding!!!!, but they seriously are not impressed with the English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh BRITISH.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    If anything it might be the Irish thinking they are so loved when maybe they ovestimate.

Oh I don't think anyone overestimates it. From the "no dogs no blacks no irish" days in England, some of that sentiment is still about.

When I was living in England I was constantly asked was my dad part of the IRA, where is my caravan parked, teachers speaking in irish accents to me at school (even though I speak with English one). A friends father was pissed that I beat his son in year 9 SATs exams and gave off to me that I was supposed to be intellectually inferior because I was Irish. So yes I am actually well aware of the negative aspects more than the positive ones!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't think anyone overestimates it. From the "no dogs no blacks no irish" days in England, some of that sentiment is still about.

When I was living in England I was constantly asked was my dad part of the IRA, where is my caravan parked, teachers speaking in irish accents to me at school (even though I speak with English one). A friends father was pissed that I beat his son in year 9 SATs exams and gave off to me that I was supposed to be more stupid because I was Irish. So yes I am actually well aware of the negative aspects more than the positive ones!

The "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" was also very well known in the USA probably more so.
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friends father was pissed that I beat his son in year 9 SATs exams and gave off to me that I was supposed to be intellectually inferior because I was Irish.

That didn't happen did it,
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    That didn't happen did it,

It did, but I don't think he liked me very much anyway so probably was just trying to be an arse for the sake of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Why do some English people feel the need to wear green and a silly Guinness hat and drink Guinness on St Patricks day?

Yet they barely acknowledge St Georges day,

Excuse me, I have celebrated April 23rd all my life! :eek:

It's my birthday! :p
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the Americans think that the English spend St Georges day sitting around, drinking tea and moaning about the weather, like any other day.

After all, the Irish spend St Patrick's day getting absolutely steaming drunk on Guinness, just like...well you get the picture.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Who cares? It's just meant to be a bit of fun. The pubs give out the Guinness hats and merry people wear them. It's nothing to be concerned about.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,105
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Who cares? It's just meant to be a bit of fun. The pubs give out the Guinness hats and merry people wear them. It's nothing to be concerned about.

agreed...its a free country..live and let live
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »

She must be from County Cliché ;)

It's very green I hear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Its just another excuse for stupid English sheep to get blotto that's all.

My Irish bf is sober today by the way :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just another excuse for stupid English sheep to get blotto that's all.

feel the luvvvv:D
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    :confused:

Like bombings and shootings?:confused:

That's only in your little mind. Irish people the world over are known as friendly and welcoming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a Scot, I'm glad we'd don't have this kind of well-meaning but unintentionally offensive international stereotype day. ;)

It'd be drunken sword-fighting in kilts and ginger wigs or something I guess. :D
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having worked with an Irish bloke, who was a complete tosser not to mention a bully, the fiddle-de-dee Oirish blarney paddy guff lost its appeal for me many years ago and St Patrick's Day leaves me cold. Ultimately people are people, regardless of nationality, and most of them are two-faced, self-centred and a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lawl at the random Diwali reference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having worked with an Irish bloke, who was a complete tosser not to mention a bully, the fiddle-de-dee Oirish blarney paddy guff lost its appeal for me many years ago and St Patrick's Day leaves me cold. Ultimately people are people, regardless of nationality, and most of them are two-faced, self-centred and a complete waste of time.

I hope you didn't let one arsehole tarnish the reputation of the other 5 million (?) or so Irish people... Every nation's got its plonkers, as I'm sure you'll know :p
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously one bloke and you tarnish an entire nation.:rolleyes:
    And St Patrick's Day usually leaves me cold to because its in March and its bloomin freezing.:p
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    By no means.

The standard view of an Irishmen amongst dimmer Americans (unfortunately there are a good few of those) if of a drunken brawler.

That's is seriously ridiculous. Anyone who adheres to sterotpyes must be pretty dumb

Incidentally those americans who do think the irish are drunks are prepetuating the cliched dumb american sterotype

Patricks day is good fun overall imo but it just so happens that the 6 nations is also on at the same time so half the drunken idiots on the streets are usually also from the Uk :D