Options

Grant Shapps' Children Share A Bedroom

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
“People share rooms quite commonly - my boys share a room."
Since @grantshapps mentioned his house, worth recapping it has 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 4 reception rooms & is worth £1.2m.

Has he thought of an extension?

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    If he pays for it out of his own salary based on his own hard work then why not.

That's the difference!
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has 3 children so why would they need to be forced to share a room if the house they live in has 5 bedrooms :confused:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has 3 children so why would they need to be forced to share a room if the house they live in has 5 bedrooms :confused:

Because their dad's a dick?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt that they are sharing. That was probably the reason they bought a 5 bedroom property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Grant doesn't comprehend is that most people with what the government considers a spare bedroom were given that property by their council / HA. They didn't choose to have a "spare bedroom", so they are being punished for something that wasn't of their making.
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    If he pays for it out of his own salary based on his own hard work then why not.

That's the difference!

psst they don't spend their salary That's the difference!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199596/89m-MPs-expenses-26-just-year.html

jack
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

That's the difference!

You mean like Cameron and George who used expenses to pay off mortgage interest, a practice now outlawed.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

My children shared bedrooms, I shared bedrooms with my sisters, my parents when children shared bedrooms. What's the big deal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    My children shared bedrooms, I shared bedrooms with my sisters, my parents when children shared bedrooms. What's the big deal?
    See #6.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    You mean like Cameron and George who used expenses to pay off mortgage interest, a practice now outlawed.

Is it?

I thought it was allowed to claim mortgage expenses to buy a flat in London so you can attend parliament. Cheaper than renting.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    See #6.

My sympathies are with people desperate for a home and not with people with spare rooms. I know what being homeless is like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it?

I thought it was allowed to claim mortgage expenses to buy a flat in London so you can attend parliament. Cheaper than renting.

"Cameron 'used the system' to claim £21,000 in a year to pay his mortgage"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-556290/MPs-expenses-list-reveals-David-Cameron-used-claim-21-000-year-pay-mortgage.html#ixzz2P8wAGRAX

I think they changed the rules surrounding the paying of mortgage interest after the expenses scandal or at least were being reported to do so. I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to do it or quietly dropped the change though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sympathies are with people desperate for a home and not with people with spare rooms. I know what being homeless is like.

Stop trying to scapegoat innocent people.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Grant Shapps the one found to be running a scam get rich quick website?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the people with "spare rooms" didn't ask for the "spare rooms", they were given them by the LA / HA.

Therefore they weren't responsible for their "spare room", so why punish them?

People who are desperate for a home will only get a one bed property unless they have children - and even with two children they are probably only entitled to a 2 bed property, but there's a shortage of one & two bed properties and the government has made those properties even more in demand from people who are being forcibly downsized.

So my sympathy is with people who are victims of an especially brainless government policy which is going to do little to solve the problem of homelessness or overcrowding. The only thing it might do is save the taxpayer some money - though that is in doubt if people have to move to the private sector where there are more small properties to rent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it?

At the end of it all they've got another property courtesy of the taxpayer.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Grant doesn't comprehend is that most people with what the government considers a spare bedroom were given that property by their council / HA. They didn't choose to have a "spare bedroom", so they are being punished for something that wasn't of their making.

Exactly!! When my husband and I were allocated this 3 bedroom house which we have been living in for the past 41 years we had an eleven month old baby,we didn't choose the house we didn't choose to have any spare bedrooms but we had them and even when Thatchers Government in power you didn't get punished for having spare bedrooms, this Government has gone to a whole new level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of it all they've got another property courtesy of the taxpayer.

Exactly, and a property that they are in a financial position to have paid for themselves.

Meanwhile those that aren't in that same financial position have very little money, struggle with low wages are told to stop being greedy and not to expect the tax payer to pay for things for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly!! When my husband and I were allocated this 3 bedroom house which we have been living in for the past 41 years we had an eleven month old baby,we didn't choose the house we didn't choose to have any spare bedrooms but we had them and even when Thatchers Government in power you didn't get punished for having spare bedrooms, this Government has gone to a whole new level.

Amazing isn't it.

Even in the worst of Thatcher people weren't treated like this.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it?

It would be even cheaper if they handed back the property to the government when they ceased being an MP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many people on these boards grew up in a council house? How many of our grandparents lived their whole lives in a council property?

When I was growing up it was nearly all council estates that was in my town, nobody had a problem with it, it was how towns were developed. My grandparents started out in a prefab then moved to a newly built council house where they lived until they passed away.

It's only recently thanks to this nasty government that people now think they have the right to sneer and look down their noses at people living in council homes. How many people actually benefited from buying their council property at a huge saving? I bet their morals didn't bother them then that they were saving thousands.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Grant Shapps is lying or, at best, being deceptive. I used to share a room with both my brother and sister. Even when we moved into a 3-bed council house we still preferred to all sleep in the same room. Many young children don't like sleeping on their own. It's only when you get to the teen years that you start to want your own room. Having a choice of whether you share a room or not is in no way the say as having no choice about it!
  • Options
    walkabouterwalkabouter Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They had the choice to decline the property. They can now choose to move.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....to private accommodation in their area which is suited to their needs and the taxpayer will pick up the extra cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    • At the time there were no rules on underoccupancy, are tenants supposed to be fortune tellers to predict what the change in the law would be?
    • They can move - as I pointed out there's more small properties in the private sector, which means they'll be able to claim more HB.