James Arthur's bad attitude.

13»

Comments

• ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well as the CH bit refers to council house, i don't see how they can be middle class

Well from the posted article...

"The word's etymology is contested: some accounts associate its origin with chavi, a Romany word for "child" or "youth", which developed into "charva" – meaning scallywag – used for a long time in the northeast. Others treat it as an acronym for "Council Housed and Violent". "

So it seems to me that acronym was put in place after the word became common usage. Also, I do know people at least from lower middle class background who dress/behave like chavs.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think the vilification of JA can be said to be a class issue. But you do raise a broader point. It's not discrimination per se this country won't tolerate, it's discrimination against anyone but the white working class - an ineffective pressure group. The word chav can be used by newspaper editors at will and nobody gives a shit, because of course the socio/economic circumstances people are born into, and their often difficult family background is their own fault:rolleyes:

You are right, the media feels it can use the term 'chav' as it likes. And I think it is the new under-class that has partially replaced the white working class as the object of vilification. Worse still young British people are regularly labelled as feckless in the same press,

My point here was to remind people not to believe everything they read or watch but to understand that stories about pop music people always take an angle and may not be what they seem.

I judge JA on his music which so far has been quite disappointing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    His career is pretty much over now before it had even started. He was stupid for thinking that things like this wouldn't get picked up on. Using homophobic remarks as such, even in a "rap battle", shouldn't be tolerated.

Personally, i'm glad the public have turned their backs on him, he deserves it. His attitude is disgusting, he can go sit next to Azealia Banks where they can both think about what they've done ;)
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xe2a2 wrote: »
    Exactly. I think Arthur is a big knob, but it makes me laugh how none of you will go at Eminem for saying far worse over and over and over again, even when he is approaching his forties. I suppose selling 100 million albums and being a bit of psycho yankee rough inherently changes the definition of homophobia...

You've made something of a sweeping assumption there.

Eminem has always been on my shit-list for the often homophobic content of his songs.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Well from the posted article...

"The word's etymology is contested: some accounts associate its origin with chavi, a Romany word for "child" or "youth", which developed into "charva" – meaning scallywag – used for a long time in the northeast. Others treat it as an acronym for "Council Housed and Violent". "

So it seems to me that acronym was put in place after the word became common usage. Also, I do know people at least from lower middle class background who dress/behave like chavs.

The working class contribution to pop culture is enormous, the 'chav' is only one thing. It's amazing how 'chav' culture gets the middle classes excited.
  • theseguemanthesegueman Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    His "singing"makes my head hurt
    Like a seal being slaughtered

Yes, James Arthur's singing makes my head hurt too. If it be called "singing", that is. :kitty:
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked him on X Factor and even voted for him, I wish I never now cause he really is a horrible little person
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems hellbent on destroying any future he may have
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    He's a musician not a politician. Listen to his stuff if you like it, but I really don't see how liking him as a person is at all relevant. Some of the most talented actors, directors and musicians have been deeply flawed people. I think part of the reason so much of our TV, film and music is so 'safe' is precisely because the sorts of people who would produce more edgy stuff are being seen as too great a risk by broadcasters and the music industry. You'll only find them, almost by accident half the time, in the weirder parts of YouTube and other parts of the internet.

I think some sections of the media (and a few of his fellow musicians, like the one who 'inspired' the creation of the rap that got James Arthur into so much trouble) have identified him as an easy target due to his short temper and lack of self-control and are using him (and us) in order to promote themselves and their wares.

Hopefully he'll get some help from his management on how to better deal with the PR aspects of his profession that have, unfortunately in my opinion, become something that no one in the public eye can afford to mess up now.